Sponsored

Footwell LED light wiring

18punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I added some LED strip lights to the front and rear footwells. I bought the plug in harness to connect them to the 12v plug on the dash. They work great and come on when I start the jeep like they should. The question I have is, I would also like them to come on when the doors are opened as courtesy lights. I can tap into the factory courtesy power wire no problem. I'm just not sure what I need (relay, diode, ect.) to make them turn on from both power sources and then not back feed to the other. I hope that explanation makes sense. lol
Sponsored

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Following because I have the same question.

Thanks for posting!

houstonstroker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
The diode is needed because of the two power sources. When I researched this, a normal relay powered from the courtesy light would not work. When the courtesy lights fade out the voltage drops and the relay can chatter. I purchased a solid state relay from Amazon and it works great. I used this setup for my blue led lights attached to my rock rails. When the door is opened or you unlock via the fob the blue lights come on.

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
Yes sir. Found them from a thread here when I was searching how to wire a couple led flood lights to come on with my back up lights when in reverse, and also with an installed switch.
Sponsored

Last edited: