Sponsored

JL Camping plans

SwissHigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imminent Rubicon
I was looking at camping, places in Colorado and other Western USA states, I have a problem though. I'm pretty disgusted by rodents. I have heard they are inevitable. Is that true? I could care less about bears, other than the fact that they will always come after your stuff (is that regular too?)
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the po man's set-up. I've got a Wal Mart Greatlands Instant Tent that sets up in about 30 seconds, sleeps 6, and takes up very little room. Best of all, it is light weight and won't kill gas mileage. It goes everywhere the Jeep goes. ;) I also have a traditional pop-up that sleeps 8, which I use occasionally, but I prefer the Jeep unfettered. For our family, we'll take both the JK and JL. (I have too many kids for just one Jeep.)

I do love those rooftop tents, though. It must be the kid in me that thinks they are neat because they are up off the ground. The off-road trailers are pretty cool, too. Can't wait to see you guys post up pics of your rigs when your JL's arrive.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Since this came out, I've been thinking...does anyone know if the Firestone air bags (helper springs, essentially) do any good with a trailer hooked up? I've seen several JK's rolling down the highway with the nose pointed to the sky, and don't want to be that guy! Trailer I'll be pulling is right at 3K lbs, so within limits, but I figure bags can't hurt even with only a 300 lb tongue weight.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since this came out, I've been thinking...does anyone know if the Firestone air bags (helper springs, essentially) do any good with a trailer hooked up? I've seen several JK's rolling down the highway with the nose pointed to the sky, and don't want to be that guy! Trailer I'll be pulling is right at 3K lbs, so within limits, but I figure bags can't hurt even with only a 300 lb tongue weight.
ARB makes high load springs for the JK. I'm sure it will take them about a minute to come out with them for the JL.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if I want to change the springs, or if the bags would be the way to go and only have the extra stiffness when I'm towing...hmmmmm

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the bags would give you versatility that way. Can they handle all the movement in a Jeep spring when off roading?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the bags would give you versatility that way. Can they handle all the movement in a Jeep spring when off roading?
Supposedly. Would love to hear from anyone who's used them, tho...

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW Jetta
Occupation
Leak Detective
This may be a stupid question, but do bigger tires affect towing capability at all? I figure if they are heavier than stock, that changes how much weight the Jeep is moving at any time.

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
I was looking at camping, places in Colorado and other Western USA states, I have a problem though. I'm pretty disgusted by rodents. I have heard they are inevitable. Is that true? I could care less about bears, other than the fact that they will always come after your stuff (is that regular too?)
Camped in CO my entire life, never had a problem with rodents. Wolf spiders... now that's another story.....

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a stupid question, but do bigger tires affect towing capability at all? I figure if they are heavier than stock, that changes how much weight the Jeep is moving at any time.
They affect towing, not by added weight, but by altering the gear ratio.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
It doesn't sound like camping is for you.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I'm 6'2 - One night I slept in the back of my JLUR with the back seats down, a twin inflatable mattress (not fully filled since it doesn't fit longwise) - and I slept OK. I obviously wasn't fully stretch, but I slept "spooning" myself (if that makes sense).

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I have never seen any rodents while camping in CO. I do tend to be very tidy with my food and trash though.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
NM, CO, AZ and TX, watch out...the fam is coming! Love this trailer! And, as an added bonus, if the XT is selected, old, whimpy guys like me can put A/C into the tent and the box! Woo Hoo!

http://borderlandtrailers.com/
That's not camping, that's Glamping!
Sponsored