JL 4 low

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Does anyone know why the JL Sahara defaults to 2nd gear when the transfer case is in 4 low and the transmission is in drive? I know you can bump the gear shift to the left to put in manual and down shift to first, but if you take it out of manual it goes back to second gear instead of 1st. Is this only in the sahara, or is it in all JL'S with the auto tranny?
Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The gear reduction done in the transfer case in low range would make 1st gear too low for most situations.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Because in most situations when you're in 4WD LO, 1st gear is too low and you'll immediately shift to 2nd anyway. It's for super slow rock crawling. Think of it as a super low crawler gear kept in reserve if it's needed, and it's usually not unless you're creeping up a wall.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Because in most situations when you're in 4WD LO, 1st gear is too low and you'll immediately shift to 2nd anyway. It's for super slow rock crawling. Think of it as a super low crawler gear kept in reserve if it's needed, and it's usually not unless you're creeping up a wall.
That make a lot of sense. Thanks for the great info. BTW, spent this past weekend wheeling at Inks Ranch in Llano, TX. Great rock crawling. 90% done in 1st gear, 4 low!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I was not aware of this. Makes sense but didn’t know. I have a rubicon so does this mean, in 4lo and in auto mode, it’ll be in 2nd gear unless I put it in manual mode? This is good to know!

OP
OP

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Wow, I was not aware of this. Makes sense but didn’t know. I have a rubicon so does this mean, in 4lo and in auto mode, it’ll be in 2nd gear unless I put it in manual mode? This is good to know!
Rubicons may be different. They may default to 1st gear. Check out your instrument cluster. It will show up there.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicons may be different. They may default to 1st gear. Check out your instrument cluster. It will show up there.
Ahhh, good point. I don’t remember what gear it was in but I’ll check next time I’m out.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Kind of like the old “granny low” that truck 4speeds had back in the day.
Sponsored