Sponsored

MPG In 4-low

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to order JLUR #4, and this time I plan to go with an engine other than the 3.6. I was planning on the 4xe, but it will not work out for me based on a few things I learned once they wete out.

I always wanted a 3.0 Eco-diesel for how efficient a Diesel is under load, but recently have also considered building a lighter 2.0.

for me, range on the highway, and range off-road are very important. I spend a lot of 10+ hour days on trails and in the 3.6 I have come close to running out of fuel a few times.

I know the Eco-diesel gets the best mpg, but with the smaller tank does it end up about equal? what is everyone seeing for MPG off-road in 4-low lifted and running 35s or 37s?

I am not concerned about price or cost of fuel, (diesel is 10 cents cheaper than 87 regular right now, but it changes a lot) and I fully realize I can carry extra fuel but thats not my concern. I just want to see what everyone is seeing on the trails. I know what I had in the 3.6, so trying to get one more data point before I Finalize my order.

(Only sad part about order #4 is that we can't get Punk'n)
Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have the JLURD and from my experience with the jeep, at low RPMs the engine sips fuel. On a recent run up at the old dale mining district I dove most of the day in either 4hi or 4 low. I believe that we we on the trails about 7 hours. The jeep used 2.3 gallons for the run. Some of the other jeeps used almost half a tank. I can't believe how efficient the diesel is off road.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whenever I engage 4-Lo I see my MPG drop to 9-10 MPG.

I have the 3.6 V6 with the 8-speed auto and 2.72:1 transfer case.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Whenever I engage 4-Lo I see my MPG drop to 9-10 MPG.

I have the 3.6 V6 with the 8-speed auto and 2.72:1 transfer case.
I was a very heavy Rubicon on 35s, and in 4-low I would see between 10 and 14 mpg best case, and in CO at really high elevation I was under that by a good deal. I had one day here in AZ where oir group was exploring back in the mountains on trails that had not been ran in years and quite a few of us were getting uncomfortably close to E by the time we got out and back to the gas station.

Thats why my focus on #4 is mpg Off-road. I plan to do even more 150+ mile Off-road trips and removing range anxiety will be nice. I would still carry a few gallons for an emergency, but hope that it will not be as critical.

I assume the 3.0 will do great since in 3 low it would practically just putt along without much fuel. But since I don't personally know anyone with either engine im looking for feedback.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was a very heavy Rubicon on 35s, and in 4-low I would see between 10 and 14 mpg best case, and in CO at really high elevation I was under that by a good deal. I had one day here in AZ where oir group was exploring back in the mountains on trails that had not been ran in years and quite a few of us were getting uncomfortably close to E by the time we got out and back to the gas station.

Thats why my focus on #4 is mpg Off-road. I plan to do even more 150+ mile Off-road trips and removing range anxiety will be nice. I would still carry a few gallons for an emergency, but hope that it will not be as critical.

I assume the 3.0 will do great since in 3 low it would practically just putt along without much fuel. But since I don't personally know anyone with either engine im looking for feedback.
Off road fuel economy for the diesel is exceptional.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Off road fuel economy for the diesel is exceptional.
I assume so, but can't actually find any numbers to see if it makes up for the smaller fuel tank. Roughly 3 less gallons of fuel in an Eco-Diesel so thats why im trying to see if it can overcome that.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume so, but can't actually find any numbers to see if it makes up for the smaller fuel tank. Roughly 3 less gallons of fuel in an Eco-Diesel so thats why im trying to see if it can overcome that.
My experience is a full day of wheeling used 2 plus gallons of fuel. I don't have hard numbers but next time I go out I will record the actual milage. My somewhat subjective view is that the diesel is very frugal using the fuel.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
My experience is a full day of wheeling used 2 plus gallons of fuel. I don't have hard numbers but next time I go out I will record the actual milage. My somewhat subjective view is that the diesel is very frugal using the fuel.
This is exactly what I expect from the diesel, but with the emissions and regen I was not sure if it would be less optimal and actually burn more fuel than the others.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is exactly what I expect from the diesel, but with the emissions and regen I was not sure if it would be less optimal and actually burn more fuel than the others.
Nope. My experience with the diesel is that it is extremely frugal off road.
Sponsored