Popping out of 4 low

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
Used 4 low a lot on a trail today. Once (with a pretty rough shift into 4 low) after a few minutes it popped into neutral. I’m guessing cause maybe it never fully shifted into 4 low? Anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
@DanW ever had this happen? Wanted to ask you cause I know you have the mopar lift as well. Is it related to that? Curious.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW ever had this happen? Wanted to ask you cause I know you have the mopar lift as well. Is it related to that? Curious.
No, not on my JL. How many miles do you have on it? Have you been in and out of 4-low much? My 4wd shifter was very difficult to shift at first, but has become easier over time, with use. It has had its moments where it was hard to engage low range, but never popped out. I'd bet you just didn't quite get it in there well. Run it again a few times in 4 low, shifting in and out, and see if it does it again. It helps to be going 1 to 2mph when you engage it, too.

Hopefully it was just a fluke. It would have nothing to do with the lift.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
No, not on my JL. How many miles do you have on it? Have you been in and out of 4-low much? My 4wd shifter was very difficult to shift at first, but has become easier over time, with use. It has had its moments where it was hard to engage low range, but never popped out. I'd bet you just didn't quite get it in there well. Run it again a few times in 4 low, shifting in and out, and see if it does it again. It helps to be going 1 to 2mph when you engage it, too.

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried it when I got home just around my neighborhood and it seems to be fine and stays in ;)

Yea, I think I just never really engaged it correctly on that last time on the trail. What’s funnny is that they say you should be rolling 1-5 mph - but on a trail (esp if you’re an incline) who has the time to
Do it!!?

Thanks for the info Dan! Hopefully nothing is wrong w it

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0

Oh, sorry - forgot to answer your questions. 7,000 miles - was the first time on 4 LO with it today ;) - first time (with my JL) getting it on the trails. Don’t judge me! ;)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the quick reply! I tried it when I got home just around my neighborhood and it seems to be fine and stays in ;)

Yea, I think I just never really engaged it correctly on that last time on the trail. What’s funnny is that they say you should be rolling 1-5 mph - but on a trail (esp if you’re an incline) who has the time to
Do it!!?

Thanks for the info Dan! Hopefully nothing is wrong w it
I'd bet it is just fine. Like I said, it should get easier to get in and out of 4 low as it breaks in. Once you get used to it, it will only take a few feet of travel for you to get it into 4 low. 1 mph is enough. It just needs a little movement to mesh.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Mine has done it a few times in the 41k miles I have driven it.

I have been in 4L quite a bit with all the snow wheeling I have been doing in California this season.

I just chalked it up to not really being completely in gear. The times it popped out I just slapped it back into 4L and went on my way.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have a good smooth, yet firm, shift into 4L each time.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
Mine has done it a few times in the 41k miles I have driven it.

I have been in 4L quite a bit with all the snow wheeling I have been doing in California this season.

I just chalked it up to not really being completely in gear. The times it popped out I just slapped it back into 4L and went on my way.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have a good smooth, yet firm, shift into 4L each time.
Thanks for the reply! Yea, hoping it was just some flaky shifting....I won’t worry about it!

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
hi all,
mine has 8k km, i found it easier to go to 4L but an absolute nightmare to get out of it and go back in 4H
is there a trick to it or its normal as i have been in 4L only once.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had it happen once and I agree I don't think it was engaged all the way. Odd experience though, was bumping over a log and it popped out. The dash lit up like a christmas tree and and the engine revved up to about 3K. Had to shut it off and restart with it fully engaged and it has been fine ever since.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As mentioned, these transfer cases are designed to go into 4-low with the transmission in neutral and the vehicle rolling at walking speed.

As far as popping out, sometimes the shift linkage needs to be adjusted so the pawl will fully engage 4-low. But I'd give it some time and see if yours improves before trying that.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
Happend once to me the second time I put it in 4L. Hasn't happened since.
I only have about 600 miles on mine, but it has popped out twice, both times I am sure is because I just didn't make sure it was fully engaged.
I will pay more attention in the future to make sure the lever travels fully before proceeding.
Alan

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Off topic question that I hope ya'll can answer real quick. Im new to Jeep/4x4

I havent hit any trails yet but plan to. If I want to practice shifting from 2h > 4h > 4l...where is best to do this? Ive seem some light bird trails around where I live that I could safely drive through in a corolla. But the trails are dirt and lime rock type. Would that surface be good for practicing between the gears or am I going to break something?
Sponsored