Sponsored

JL 2018 Front Wheel question

Ksquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon two-door
Hey all. Bought a used 2018 JL two door about a month ago (28k miles). Noticed yesterday - looks like someone cut the plastic to get inside where shocks are? Do you know why this would have been done + reason for cutting vs removing the panel? Should I bring back to dealer and question it? Thanks

IMG_8004 copy.jpg

IMG_8005 copy.jpg
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That's the only reason I can think of (getting to the top bolt for the shocks), but I don't know why they'd need to cut all the excess they did on the sides.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They probably wont do anything about minor damage on a used vehicle. It was probably done by someone who wanted to get to the starting battery and didn't want to remove the entire fender.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
They probably wont do anything about minor damage on a used vehicle. It was probably done by someone who wanted to get to the starting battery and didn't want to remove the entire fender.
This is more likely, although going in this way actually seems like more of a pain in the ass than just popping the fender off or going in from the engine compartment.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I vaguely remember a handful of members posting about their passenger front tires eating holes in the liners. A common denominator was mild lifts and factory track bars, hence the passenger side issue. Maybe the previous owner was just looking to cover it up without any investment in a replacement?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few installations that require removal of the fender liner. The Mopar LEDs among them. Or, if the prior owner had any work done to the auxiliary battery —a fairly common warranty repair— they may have gone through there.

Did you buy the Wrangler at a Jeep dealership? If so, perhaps you can talk them into putting a new liner.

Good luck!

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Like other said tire was prob rubbing at some point and was cut to clear. Don't think its worth wasting your time at a dealer they wont do anything. I would say nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you could order a new one but its kinda a pain since you have to remove some of the plastic rivets and it might rub in the same spot lol.
Sponsored