Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
What I dont understand is why female Jeepers almost never wave back, even the ones with unique stickers or accessories or aftermarket wheels and lifts. Obviously they're into their Jeep but dont seem to acknowledge anyone elses....Dont get it.....Also it seems that 2 door owners almost always wave, just yesterday I had a guy waving out of the top as he's stopped waiting to turn left and I passed him going thru the red light. I appreciate the enthusiasm buddy and I returned an above the windshield wave as I passed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Went 3 for 5 today in southern Maryland ...point lookout area to LaPlata, back roads, top down, classic rock blaring...wife chuckling as I frowned and sighed when my wave was ignored
Haha! My wife does that all the time when my wave is ignored lol

Keep on Jeeping!!
Keep on waving!!

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
I used to wave a lot more when I had my JK auto. There are so many Jeeps here at the beach, that I see roughly 200 Wranglers a day on a trip to the beach and then another 400 or 500 on the beach. My youngest son started counting Wranglers on the 25 mile trip to our dune crossing a few weekends ago and got tired and quit at 64. That was before we even got there, let alone the ride back.

There are so many waves a person can give per mile. Then it's a chore. Sue me.

Hell, if you wanted to wave at every Wrangler on the beach, when they compose roughly 4 of 5 of the vehicles lined up side by side for ten miles, you basically just have to throw your hand up in the air like Hitler reviewing the troops. Not happening.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone on the Rubicon Trail waves, regardless of what their driving. Source: Was there today, again.

Now, today outside the trail I get like 20% waves back hit or miss. I think mall-jeeps never wave back.

Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not the Rubicon Trail.... Northern Ohio...
Average about 75-80% waves returned... My wife never knew about the wave. She commented when I get return waves from women....
I just tell her " it's a Jeep thing"... Ha

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Been a jeeper for almost a month. Wave response is probably at 50 percent. Oncoming is a lot easier unless sitting at a light side by side.. Probably about 75 percent when I’m on my motorcycle. My two wheeled observations indicate lots of factors come into play, type of bike (sport bike, cruiser), brand (Harley, Japanese, etc), level of commitment, (flip flops and shorts, t-shirts and jeans, full leathers, etc), age. People are funny, I’ve hand guys mowing their lawns wave as I rolled by, and even a nod from some 1 %ers out on the highway. But I also spoke to a lady while walking my dog past her house and she looked me right in my face and she didn’t part her lips.

Go figure.

I’ll continue to throw up the wave. Just a simple gesture to another human being.

Better than a gang sign or the thousand mile stare straight ahead ignoring everyone.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I was excited by the wave. At first. Got one during the test drive that I took as a positive omen. But it seems that over the past few months the wave is getting harder and harder to come by. I'm starting to feel silly about waving with no response. I read on another thread that when they put the stock wheels back on their Jeep that the wave response dropped dramatically. Does that explain why I don't get waved at? Because I have stock Rubicon wheels and tires? I get the distinct impression that any lifted jeep with larger tires turn their noses up at my essentially stock Rubicon. I've shown here some love... over $3,000 of upgrades. The winch on the front and the shackles on the rear don't seem to impress anyone. I love the sunrider that is always open and the cool grab handles. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep. Used to think the Jeep community was pretty cool. But starting to think it's primarily a bunch of judgmental folks who view your worth by your tire size. I realize not everyone is that way... but enough that I no longer look forward to seeing another Wrangler on the road. I'll still enjoy my Jeep... just don't feel a part of the "community" that everyone said was so cool... :facepalm:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I was excited by the wave. At first. Got one during the test drive that I took as a positive omen. But it seems that over the past few months the wave is getting harder and harder to come by. I'm starting to feel silly about waving with no response. I read on another thread that when they put the stock wheels back on their Jeep that the wave response dropped dramatically. Does that explain why I don't get waved at? Because I have stock Rubicon wheels and tires? I get the distinct impression that any lifted jeep with larger tires turn their noses up at my essentially stock Rubicon. I've shown here some love... over $3,000 of upgrades. The winch on the front and the shackles on the rear don't seem to impress anyone. I love the sunrider that is always open and the cool grab handles. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep. Used to think the Jeep community was pretty cool. But starting to think it's primarily a bunch of judgmental folks who view your worth by your tire size. I realize not everyone is that way... but enough that I no longer look forward to seeing another Wrangler on the road. I'll still enjoy my Jeep... just don't feel a part of the "community" that everyone said was so cool... :facepalm:
Here in the midwest, I can only recall one instance in our area where I waved at another wrangler and got a cold stare instead of a wave (a young girl driving a white JL Sahara who turned her head to follow me as she went past while giving me an irritated look). I get waves returned better than 95% of the time on 2-lane roads and more like 70% of the time on 4-lane roads, and I assume that's just because they for some reason didn't see the bright yellow Rubicon on the other side of the road. I get fewer waves in my wife's Sting Gray Sport, but I think that's due to the non-attention-grabbing color rather than anyone looking down their noses at a non-lifted Sport. My guess is that it's a regional difference.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Waved to a Gladiator and the Gladiator waved back, might have been simultaneous, who knows. But it was just like suspected, thought it was a 4-door coming down the road, turned out it was a Gladiator. That guy knew the Jeep Wave so there you go.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I assume that's just because they for some reason didn't see the bright yellow Rubicon on the other side of the road. I get fewer waves in my wife's Sting Gray Sport, but I think that's due to the non-attention-grabbing color rather than anyone looking down their noses at a non-lifted Sport. My guess is that it's a regional difference.
Like the Hella Yella, I'd think it difficult to miss Punk'n. But could be a regional thing. Then again this is So-Cal and most here are not what I consider 'normal folk' (self included)!

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Went 3 for 5 today in southern Maryland ...point lookout area to LaPlata, back roads, top down, classic rock blaring...wife chuckling as I frowned and sighed when my wave was ignored
I'm in SoMD also. My commute to work is short and the opposite traffic is too far away to see any hand movements.

Mrs. Fly and I are new jeepers and I told her about the wave. At first she didn't believe it was a "thing". Now she knows after she has seen it a few times. In the few trips she has made with me she gets all bent out of shape if we get ignored.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I'm in SoMD also. My commute to work is short and the opposite traffic is too far away to see any hand movements.

Mrs. Fly and I are new jeepers and I told her about the wave. At first she didn't believe it was a "thing". Now she knows after she has seen it a few times. In the few trips she has made with me she gets all bent out of shape if we get ignored.
I'm in Alexandria and I only get a wave back about 25% of the time......makes me sad.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
On my Harley about 80% wave back, some sport bikes and the Harley riders dressed like a gay pirates don’t. Short time I have had my JLU less than 10%. Middle finger right, am I doing it wrong? ;)

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
On my Harley about 80% wave back, some sport bikes and the Harley riders dressed like a gay pirates don’t. Short time I have had my JLU less than 10%. Middle finger right, am I doing it wrong? ;)
I have been riding a bike for 30 years . If I had a nickel for every exchanged wave , I could buy everyone on this forum another new Jeep. I'm not getting many waves in my JL from fellow Vermonters and this is a very friendly state. My wife said " they know its you" . Just another ball breaker.:swear:
Sponsored

Last edited: