• Watchers 7

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
That is news to me I've watched my oil life fluctuate depending on the amount of wheeling and driving conditions I drive under. I was certain it was monitored to the oil and not just the miles on the odometer.
You're correct. Oil monitor is based on mileage, age, and driving habits/conditions and will fluctuate. I do town and city driving and it'll usually blip me around 7-8k which is what I change at. If you tow heavy loads regularly you'll more likely to change around 4-5k (according to the manual also).
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
That is news to me I've watched my oil life fluctuate depending on the amount of wheeling and driving conditions I drive under. I was certain it was monitored to the oil and not just the miles on the odometer.
According to what I have read, the interval is 10000 miles. I have not seen the oil life decrease any faster during the second fill but then she never goes off road with it either. Seems reasonable that wheeling might shorten the oil life.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The Ecodiesel, like all Wranglers, is a very easy DIY oil change - especially with a Fumoto valve. There are many cautionary stories on here about dealer oil changes gone wrong. And...I know that you trust the local dealer, but keep in mind that the least experienced employee will be doing the work, and they don't share your fondness for your ride.

In the words of Dirty Harry: "Do you feel lucky...?"

Bottom line: free is not always free, but sometimes one doesn't come to that realization until it's too late.

I replaced my oil at 1,000 miles and every 3,000 miles thereafter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

The Ecodiesel, like all Wranglers, is a very easy DIY oil change - especially with a Fumoto valve. There are many cautionary stories on here about dealer oil changes gone wrong. And...I know that you trust the local dealer, but keep in mind that the least experienced employee will be doing the work, and they don't share your fondness for your ride.

In the words of Dirty Harry: "Do you feel lucky...?"

Bottom line: free is not always free, but sometimes one doesn't come to that realization until it's too late.

I replaced my oil at 1,000 miles and every 3,000 miles thereafter.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Pretty straight forward change really. Only difference with my dealer is all the diesel trucks they service. Very popular here. But no I don't generally feel lucky! :)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Oil change interval is 10k. The oil live monitor is tied to the odometer, unlike most of the oil life monitors. I did the first one at 10k. I will be doing them about every 9k and that is about when I had to add a quart last time.
According to what I have read, the interval is 10000 miles. I have not seen the oil life decrease any faster during the second fill but then she never goes off road with it either. Seems reasonable that wheeling might shorten the oil life.
10,000 miles is not the recommended interval. It's the MAXIMUM you are allowed to go if your 100,000 mile warranty matters to you. And yes, I have seen EcoDiesel warranty voided over going just a bit past 10k. There was a member on one of the Ram forums who had that nightmare.

Best practice is to change the oil well before that. My oil life monitor on my Ram and Jeep EcoDiesels both will get to 0% prior to 8,000 miles. Currently I'm at 25% with only 5,000 miles on this oil cycle because I towed heavy about a month ago and I lost 14% of my oil life in 500 miles which clearly shows that the oil life monitor is not tied to the odometer. It actually looks at engine heat and driving style.

ollie1328

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 door
Lucky for me my jeep had dealer lifetime oil changes (I didn't think I did but my service guy told me otherwise)...it's jeep #4 from this dealer.
Sponsored