Sponsored

Jeep Roll Fallacy

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 1979 CJ5 that I rolled on my first date with my wife in 1989. Trying to avoid an accident, which I did; but ended up putting the Jeep on it's side in the middle of the road. Her parents were not so impressed with the "New Boyfriend"!
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget the Suzuki Samurai debacle. Consumer Reports admitted in court that they manufactured the entire story. This is why I take any of these stories with a grain of salt.

I think the important thing here is to simply know the risks and now how to mitigate them. Jeeps, especially lifted ones, can have a much higher center of gravity. Drivers have to slow the hell down in them to reduce the risk.

To me personally, one of the side benefits to my Jeep is that I almost never speed in it. That is certainly not the case in my Raptor or the Porsches, Jags, BMWs, Mustangs I’ve owned the the past.

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
Glad no one died. I gotta ask though, the CJ-7 just randomly flipped? Or is there more to the story (e.g., someone hit her or she tried an evasive maneuver to avoid an accident)?
She was driving at night on a highway with no other cars - was returning to Penn State so if you know the area its not high traffic - esp at night and around 1980. From what came out the Jeep wobbled and then flipped on its side. The road was straight.

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
Don’t forget the Suzuki Samurai debacle. Consumer Reports admitted in court that they manufactured the entire story. This is why I take any of these stories with a grain of salt.

I think the important thing here is to simply know the risks and now how to mitigate them. Jeeps, especially lifted ones, can have a much higher center of gravity. Drivers have to slow the hell down in them to reduce the risk.

To me personally, one of the side benefits to my Jeep is that I almost never speed in it. That is certainly not the case in my Raptor or the Porsches, Jags, BMWs, Mustangs I’ve owned the the past.
The Suzuki story was a joke - they attached something like a 20 ft pole to each side which changed its center of gravity big time. There never were any stories of Suzuki's flipping, it was CR's attempt to find something to go after and these type vehicles are not popular in their halls.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The Suzuki story was a joke - they attached something like a 20 ft pole to each side which changed its center of gravity big time. There never were any stories of Suzuki's flipping, it was CR's attempt to find something to go after and these type vehicles are not popular in their halls.
It was much more than that. Even with those polls, CR couldn’t make it rollover. The test driver put it through the maneuvers and it did just fine. CR’s editor literally told the driver to either make it flip over or he would find someone that would.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s how Consumer Reports does business, unfortunately. It is a highly unethical company.

A few years later they did the same thing to Isuzu Trooper. That was pretty much the end of Trooper, and of Isuzu, in North America.

Consumer Reports has tried to take down Wrangler so many times. They really hate the thing.

But when it comes to Wrangler, there’s no such thing as bad publicity: the harder Consumer Reports tries, the better Wrangler sells. It drives them nuts... :LOL:

OP
OP
lawffroad

lawffroad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Zach...a good lesson here for journalists who need to not only be objective about their own findings, but the findings they cite of reporters/investigators who came before them reporting similar things.
Exactly...just because one person says something is true and they’re a “credible” source, doesn’t mean it’s right! I just completed a major project on the dangers of this in the advent of social media and virality...you can never be too careful.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Agree and the same here. I drive like an old man now. I did stupid things in my Challenger sometimes. Even at my age.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I take this stuff with a huge grain of salt. I well remember the Audi “unintended acceleration” debacle. Audi solved the problem by configuring an interlock so the vehicle would not start with a foot on the brake pedal. Problem miraculously disappeared😏

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I take this stuff with a huge grain of salt. I well remember the Audi “unintended acceleration” debacle. Audi solved the problem by configuring an interlock so the vehicle would not start with a foot on the brake pedal. Problem miraculously disappeared😏
Wait, wouldn't start with a foot ( pressure ) ON the brake pedal ??
Ours won't start UNLESS the brake pedal is pressed

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The CBS story on the Jeep Roll - overs was prompted by the tragic death of a daughter of one of the producers of the network.
Her CJ rolled, and she apparently drowned.
The Samurai debacle resulted from pressure from Lee Iacocca pressuring Senator Dingle, as Samurai sales were crushing Wrangler sales...

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
though i will agree with you that the 60 minutes and consumer reports pushed to make a story but that does not take away from that fact that yes you are more likely to roll over a larger vehicle with a higher center of gravity than you are a small one.

using this government report as an example covering roll over crashes from 91-00 https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/809438

It highlights 2 important things, 1 more people average were buying SUVs (which jeep with the XJ was the start of the trend), so more people didnt know how to properly drive in a SUV. And 2 SUVs, Trucks, and Vans are more likely to roll over in a crash than a passenger car.

SUVs now are much more safer than back then thanks to increase roll over standards and stability control systems.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
That’s how Consumer Reports does business, unfortunately. It is a highly unethical company.

A few years later they did the same thing to Isuzu Trooper. That was pretty much the end of Trooper, and of Isuzu, in North America.

Consumer Reports has tried to take down Wrangler so many times. They really hate the thing.

But when it comes to Wrangler, there’s no such thing as bad publicity: the harder Consumer Reports tries, the better Wrangler sells. It drives them nuts... :LOL:
consumer reports publishes stories based upon highest bidder. aka chefy aka ferd