Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
dogs change the experience, but (IMO) enhance travel. Road Tripping with a good dog is great. J**p tripping with a good dog is the best!

i would encourage you; don't wait! i'm sure you guys and a dog would enjoy each other. i would have to imagine you could be pretty good trainers/Pack Leaders.
the only things that we don't like about dogs is that they reduce our tendency for air travel (because we don't take them with us), and that they break our hearts when they end. they do limit some of the places we can go (because we won't go without them), but there are plenty of other places we can go where they can be dogs, and sharing their joy in those places makes any sacrifices on our parts all worthwhile.

air travel i don't miss so much because we really like to road trip anyway.
the holes in our hearts when they leave, we never really get over, but we get used to,... and even knowing there's an inevitable end coming we still eventually get another one.
can't imagine our lives without a dog.
We have raised 4 Rottweiler from pups to the grave, and two Neapolitan Mastiff. For our type of travel it will have to be a small dog which would be new to us. The problem is we hike a lot and have a small camper. Unfortunately what do you do with a small dog while we are out hiking. Most small dogs will not do five+ miles in the desert, and we really can't leave them in the Jeep or the camper in that kind of heat or just in general. I am sure a predator would make a snack out of a small dog chained up to a camper out in the desert. Plus we are not good with chaining a dog up anyways.

As far as training a dog. We only have well mannered and very well trained dogs. Some of th rots were better trained than others, but they were all very well mannered and socially at easy in public.

couple of our past dogs. They have all passed due to old age.

Rex
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 1656786218604

Conji
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 1656786282411

Brutis
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 1656786317801

Any new dog would need to be smaller than these boys.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'm with you on not leaving the dogs; we go places where the dogs can go with us.

we downsized from a Malinois to a Dutch Shepard; probably couldn't manage anything smaller than another herding dog. target size might be around 40-50 lbs; i can't deal with the idea of anything that might get carried off by an owl.

our Dutchies have been known to go out and run with the Coyotes; they're fearless. will be hard to find something that matches them.

We have raised 4 Rottweiler from pups to the grave, and two Neapolitan Mastiff. For our type of travel it will have to be a small dog which would be new to us. The problem is we hike a lot and have a small camper. Unfortunately what do you do with a small dog while we are out hiking. Most small dogs will not do five+ miles in the desert, and we really can't leave them in the Jeep or the camper in that kind of heat or just in general. I am sure a predator would make a snack out of a small dog chained up to a camper out in the desert. Plus we are not good with chaining a dog up anyways.

As far as training a dog. We only have well mannered and very well trained dogs. Some of th rots were better trained than others, but they were all very well mannered and socially at easy in public.

couple of our past dogs. They have all passed due to old age.

Rex

Conji

Brutis

Any new dog would need to be smaller than these boys.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Just adopted this girl.

She's had a hard life up to now and needs some time to adjust and trust. Can't wait to get her there and in the Jeep

20220707_191035.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just adopted this girl.

She's had a hard life up to now and needs some time to adjust and trust. Can't wait to get her there and in the Jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 20220707_191035
Great pic, looks like a sweet dog, and kudos for getting this girl back on track, looks like she's suspicious, but in a good way!

JeepBryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass, 2022 JLU Willys on order
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 285B7834-9017-47C4-A7A8-58370D84AEB5

I love this thread!

this is Max! We are riding training in the compass until the Wrangler comes. TBD, is still the status, but the dealer says it goes in production today.

Max doesn’t like car rides yet because the only place we take him is the groomers and vet, so we are in line at McDonalds to show that there are fun places to go in the car!

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Just adopted this girl.

Good on you! All of ours (other than 1) have been rescues. Some have been a challenge, but most have been wonderful companions and garage "helpers", case in point!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics IMG_0997.JPG

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Good on you! All of ours (other than 1) have been rescues. Some have been a challenge, but most have been wonderful companions and garage "helpers", case in point!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 20220601_184229
Right back at you!

We're on number 4. All adopted / rescued. All have earned a special place in my heart.

HydroblueLA

First Name
Alice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude on order
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Dog pics 2378361F-29E2-4DEB-9D92-1BAEEAE7569A
Boo is still waiting to live her best life as a Jeep dog. In the meantime she is successfully being a lap dog.

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
Excited to finally contribute to this thread. Honey absolutely loves going for rides. Anytime she hears the keys jingle she’s alert and wants to go. She’s pretty photogenic

A3CD5DCF-6993-4983-9CD7-C8662FC9B473.jpeg