Sponsored

Issues after lift install

Razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Had my lift installed yesterday and when I picked it up, the service axle locker warning light was on. I'm thinking they bent a pin or stretched the harness during install? The DTCM code is C144D-15. I know these JL's have issues with the sensors but mine has worked flawlessly for over 40K miles. I cant find any bent pins on the connectors. I did order a Z-locker OEM harness hoping it is just a bad sensor. While I wait for it to arrive, Any ideas what else I can try and trouble shoot?
Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
did you contact the shop that did the lift? sounds like they did something

OP
OP
Razz

Razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
did you contact the shop that did the lift? sounds like they did something
I showed them the warning message and light on the dash before I pulled out of there. They crawled under and inspected but couldn't find anything wrong. They said they will do some research and get back to me. I'm just not optimistic they will deal with it properly. I'm also going on a hunting trip this weekend and would like to try and trouble shoot it myself. It would suck to go in the bush without lockers.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you check to see if the lockers work? Could it be a historical code from unplugging during the install that just needs to be cleared? Have you already tried clearing the codes to see if they come back?

OP
OP
Razz

Razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you check to see if the lockers work? Could it be a historical code from unplugging during the install that just needs to be cleared? Have you already tried clearing the codes to see if they come back?
I did try clearing the codes but they pop back up right away. I tried turning the lockers on in my driveway only and it was hard to tell if they engaged or not. The lights just blinked for a couple seconds and stopped. Off Road Pages now states they are always locked since the service axle light first came on, even in 2WD. Is there an easy way to tell if they are locking?

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I did try clearing the codes but they pop back up right away. I tried turning the lockers on in my driveway only and it was hard to tell if they engaged or not. The lights just blinked for a couple seconds and stopped. Off Road Pages now states they are always locked since the service axle light first came on, even in 2WD. Is there an easy way to tell if they are locking?
If you can get both axles up on jack stands, you can put it in 4H or 4L and see if they're locked or not.

OP
OP
Razz

Razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you can get both axles up on jack stands, you can put it in 4H or 4L and see if they're locked or not.
So put it in 4low, hit the locker switch, shut it off and get it in the air see if both tires spin the same direction?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
So put it in 4low, hit the locker switch, shut it off and get it in the air see if both tires spin the same direction?
So long as I'm not having a dumb moment, should work. Though I think you'll want to leave the Jeep running. Maybe try both idling and/or in neutral.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes, lock the rear diff and drive in a tight circle with the windows down. You'll hear the tires dragging if the diff is locked. Driving in a circle makes the outside wheel try spin faster than the inside wheel (it has a larger radius to cover). When the diff is locked it can't so the tired will chirp and screech on the pavement. You'll be able to feel and hear it.

Short of that you could jack up the rear so both back wheels are off the ground. With the vehicle in Park try to spin one wheel. If the diff is locked they won't turn. If it's not locked the other wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. (Make sure you chock the front wheels)

OP
OP
Razz

Razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I ordered a Zlocker. Arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can plug that in and it fixes the issue.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I ordered a Zlocker. Arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can plug that in and it fixes the issue.
The ZLocker harness usually only works if the sensor in the diff has gone bad. I believe it tells the jeep that the action completed successfully no matter what. After installing the ZLocker harness verify your lockers are working. If they are great, it was just the sensor. If they aren't you have some more diagnosing to do or head to the dealer if you're still under warranty. Good luck!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They did finally release a replacement locker sensor, if you decide that's the issue and it feel like replacing it.