Is this amount of rust normal?

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my jeep a week and a half ago.

I was doing a little inspection on it yesterday after it was washed and I noticed a bunch of rust which wasn't there when I picked it up.

Now, it was driven in a bit of snow, and in some rain the first week. So I expect some basic surface level rust. But I was surprised by how much I saw.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is normal. So I figured I'd see what you guys had to say?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image7.jpeg
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
One of my neighbors has a 15 JK, and the other day I was helping him to replace the diff cover. When we lifted his Jeep up and crawled under, the whole underbody is like an abandoned sewer line. And that Jeep is only like 3-4 year old.

I assume FCA haven't done anything to change the rust proof from JK to JL. So you will likely experience the same in a couple of years, and basically....just forget about it.

OP
OP
jeep In Thought

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah ok. Definitely thinking about doing some sort of rust coating/ undercoating now. Thanks

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Man. No idea. That sucks, I’ll have to look underneath mine now. My winch hawse plate and bolts are already rusted after 5 months. Not sure what to do yet.

2F9CBAAB-C21F-4F65-ADB9-932DD5F267F1.jpeg

98CB5D27-42ED-4DC6-B258-8E1A6445319D.jpeg

Last edited:

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Within the days of getting My JLRU I had mine undercoated with a petroleum based undercoating, not a rubberized type but it is a one time application. It takes a few days to dry and week or two before it's hardens to a tar like barrier. Did my 2016 Ram and new Navigator. I lost my last couple trucks to rust but never again. How can anyone pay $50-K and not get it undercoated. My brake lines are even rust proofed. This type of undercoat is for only new vehicles though. If it's a few months old and rust has already started you have to get the yearly application type. This may be what happened in the Video.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Por-15 is your (expensive) friend.

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
So...Fluid Film or Por 15?

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So...Fluid Film or Por 15?
after a bunch of research, I bit the bullet on fluid film. Live here in NJ with harsh road brine/salt, so worth it. My installer even did every exposed bolt (including on my fairlead, bumper, etc.) I haven't crawled underneath yet but figure it's better than nothing.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Surprising with all of the vehicles I've owned over the last 50 years only one had rust (a 1979 Honda Accord that rusted thru the cowls), all were driven on snowy salted roads and never undecorated. Good washing habit prevents most rust.

OP
OP
jeep In Thought

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
after a bunch of research, I bit the bullet on fluid film. Live here in NJ with harsh road brine/salt, so worth it. My installer even did every exposed bolt (including on my fairlead, bumper, etc.) I haven't crawled underneath yet but figure it's better than nothing.
Who did you use in NJ to apply it all? I'm in NY so I'm looking for someone good to handle this.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I paint everything under neath when brand new after pressure wash. Use rust encapsulator from Eastwoods, then use their chasis black epoxy paint. spray some wax coated rust inhibitors on top. also use their paintable seam seal on all the floor pan seams to keep the salt out. their inner frame coating is excellent to use for the interior box sections of the frame, cross members and rockers. I use fluid film for the inside of the doors, tailgate, hood.
Sponsored