Well here's the first issue...350 miles and a lot of rust

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Lot of rust on the undercarriage. Around the front diff., suspension parts, etc.
...Well that was quick, it has been through a touchless wash and fully detailed and washed by a local guy too so it is not like it has just been sitting uncleaned . Pretty pissed, need to go to bed and sleep on it and decide how to handle it...
Sponsored

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Lot of rust on the undercarriage. Around the front diff., suspension parts, etc.
...Well that was quick, it has been through a touchless wash and fully detailed and washed by a local guy too so it is not like it has just been sitting uncleaned . Pretty pissed, need to go to bed and sleep on it and decide how to handle it...
Wow. I pissed for you. Can you upload a photo of the rust and it’s location? I’m looking to get mine washed this week and would like to check the rust location so I can have a before and after photo of my Wrangler. Thanks.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
FYI, I started a poll thread on rust protection here you might be interested in:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-great-rust-proofing-poll.3843/

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I saw on a YouTube video about a guy saying that every JK he saw on a lot had rust underneath it.

ccarrico29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Polar Edition
Yep, nothing new. Go look at pretty much JK on the road or lot.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Do you live in the rust belt with salty roads?

I'm no expert, but I believe certain parts will oxidize causing surface rust due to the metallurgy. No cause for alarm. This is what happens to brake rotors. The exhaust manifold in my Honda is like this.

Now if you start to see the actual body panels and floor pans start to rust, then I would worry.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm no expert, but I believe certain parts will oxidize causing surface rust due to the metallurgy. No cause for alarm. This is what happens to brake rotors. The exhaust manifold in my Honda is like this.
Curious about that too...

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
what is there to be curious about most bare metals are going to develop surface rust if they are not coated or treated in someway. if it is used during the winters will only escalate corrosion at a quicker rate.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
We need pics, the undercarriage of our new JLUR appears to be coated far superior to
our JK, and while they were prone to a bit of rust ours was all but spotless living in PA and using it hard for 4 years... some parts are going to oxidize and that isn’t an issue.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Gonna need pics. Since I picked mine up on January 17th, it's done nothing but rain or snow, damn near every day! My first drive to work was in the snow. Its only be cleaned like twice due to the
20180211_113428.jpg
20180211_113446.jpg
20180211_113434.jpg
20180211_113434.jpg
weather. I was just under it last week to change the oil, ( I snapped a few pics just for the hell of it, at nothing imparticular) . Here's what I saw.... No Rust!

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Pretty much every car will produce rust pretty quickly. But Wranglers are one of the few where the areas that rust are easily visible.

OP
OP
Mattyp1214

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Ill take some pics in daylight tomorrow. I picked up some POR-15 today, stainless steel brush, paint brushes etc. Theres a lot starting in quite a few different spots, around the diff cover is really bad, front of diff cover, suspension parts, of the steering links.
After contacting dealer and jeep I only have the option of getting an undercoat or doing one myself. So decided to do POR-15 after researching. Found the POR paint at advanced auto but had to order the prep solution from amazon so until it gets here I will have to wait.
It's going to happen unfortunately, I just wasn't expecting it to happen at 350 miles. At least I can get ahead of it but it is still worrisome long term. Going to make sure and continually touch up all the parts as they appear affected then touch it up again each year is my plan of action for now. May even hit it up with fluid film after painting...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just buy cheap cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. My JK is 10 years old and has been through 10 salty winters. Other than the gas tank skid plate, it looks like new under there, thanks to Rust Reformer and regular undercarriage cleaning/washing. The most important thing to do is to was it off thoroughly after off roading.

Believe it or not, on the axles and such, the surface rust actually forms a protective barrier. You won't rust through one of those axle tubes or housings in two lifetimes, no matter how they may look.
Sponsored