Intake and Exhaust

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What’s the best way to wake up the 3.6L? Will an intake and exhaust have much impact?
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The only way to make real power is with a supercharger. On a small V6 you're just making more noise with this stuff.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I drove a 2014 Rubicon JK with Magnuson supercharger, 6 speed manual transmission, and an exhaust that put out around 400 hp on the dyno. It was faster and pulled good in the higher rpm's, however I felt that the low end power was not the best.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Not sure if it carries over, but despite much of a power gain on the track a CAI was helpful to hear the engine. You can feel tires slipping, but hearing the engine RPMs change was helpful IMO.

Anyone confirm it helps for wheeling?

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I've had the AFE CAI since I bought my 2012. It MIGHT add a slight power increase (according to AFE) but you don't feel it. All it really does is make the engine sound loud and very harsh.

OP
OP
Horse1200s

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My uncle always said... “Companies spend millions getting these vehicles to run right, why spend thousands to F#%k it up?”

I’ve left my cars/trucks stock too, just wanted to know if would be worth looking into.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
^depends what "runs right" means to the company...doesn't always match up with the enthusiast!

Ex: they put a dollar amount on everything including performance. The actual COST to them is not necessarily higher for items they charge a premium.

OP
OP
Horse1200s

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah, I get that. There are many things that aren’t perfect. I’m sure he was just eluding to the many after market parts that don’t have the R&D that the factory does.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
My uncle always said... “Companies spend millions getting these vehicles to run right, why spend thousands to F#%k it up?”
Your uncle is right... you can mess things up but also the manufacturer make things as a one size fits all. You can make it fit for you.

Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I buy an aftermarket non oiled washable air filter for all my vehicles just cause I hate the service guy telling me I need a new one every time I go in for scheduled maintenance. I use to buy exhaust and CAI immediately but have learned it truly never does anything noticiable outside of sound since my '96 2dr Tahoe.

I will be rocking a snorkel that can be taken on/off easy like the rugged ridge just for the rare times I might encounter 2ft of water. Q

OP
OP
Horse1200s

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I didn’t know they made snorkels you can easily remove. I’m new to Jeep. Sounds like something I might want, don’t want one all the time but there is a trail I know where you have to cross a river. Last time on dual sport motorcycles we turned around, maybe the JL would make it.

Which air filter do you like? I’ve been a K&N guy but clean and oil is kind of a pain.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t know they made snorkels you can easily remove. I’m new to Jeep. Sounds like something I might want, don’t want one all the time but there is a trail I know where you have to cross a river. Last time on dual sport motorcycles we turned around, maybe the JL would make it.

Which air filter do you like? I’ve been a K&N guy but clean and oil is kind of a pain.
I've used K&N, Airraid and AFE non oiled. Really no huge difference IMO.

The snorkel kit I'm referring to is
http://www.ruggedridge.com/xhd-low-high-mount-snorkel-system-17756-20.html

Pain in the butt to install and sometimes the piping needs to be slightly wedged or bent. Also must check the drain plug. I didn't have one but I helped my neighbor install his. Thinking I might go this route on my JL build.
Sponsored