Intake and exhaust upgrades

howardw1976

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Considering doing an intake and exhaust upgrade. I’m curious if there is any 3rd party data showing any performance or mpg increases from any of the various intake and exhaust upgrades? Thx.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Considering doing an intake and exhaust upgrade. I’m curious if there is any 3rd party data showing any performance or mpg increases from any of the various intake and exhaust upgrades? Thx.
2.0L or 3.6L?

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Remember back when.......there was the PowerBlock on Speed Channel, Jessie Combs was on Extreme 4X4 and there was a show called HorsePower TV. They would dyno test after the engine build so you could see the results. What's wrong with expecting somebody do that and post after spending hundreds of dollars on a new muffler and air intake/filter etc. I suspect that other than a change in the noise, there is little gain. I bought a K&N air fllter for my big Dodge (before RAM) 5.7 Hemi and I got zip for mpg increase, found I'd rather just replace the filter vs clean/dry/oil the K&N. If somebody can post a mpg or horsepower/torque gain - verified on a dyno, then I'd be interested too. Otherwise I'll use my spare cash to throw at my wife's credit card addiction. (shoot me please)

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yep, no low- hanging fruit to be found, unless you have the turbo, then lots of power is just a cheap chip away!

Just don't expect factory reliability...

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Save your money!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would also like to see independent testing. Just because i am curious, but it is a Jeep and not built for speed. Not many want to spend money on a before and after dyno for a slow ass brick. Let alone another $400-$600 on a tune to get the most out of them.

But i have seen lots of cars on the dyno before and after intake and exhaust mods, including my own cars. Generally you will get in the 20rwhp range with an intake and cat-back. Most of that in the exhaust is due to restrictive mufflers to keep the noise down.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would also like to see independent testing. Just because i am curious, but it is a Jeep and not built for speed. Not many want to spend money on a before and after dyno for a slow ass brick. Let alone another $400-$600 on a tune to get the most out of them.

But i have seen lots of cars on the dyno before and after intake and exhaust mods, including my own cars. Generally you will get in the 20rwhp range with an intake and cat-back. Most of that in the exhaust is due to restrictive mufflers to keep the noise down.
Restrictive exhaust was a problem 20 years ago... but in the chase for each and every fraction of a mpg, the easy stuff has been done already.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Restrictive exhaust was a problem 20 years ago... but in the chase for each and every fraction of a mpg, the easy stuff has been done already.
I disagree, they have to think about the consumer and sound. Most people don't want to hear the exhaust. Tuner shops are full of brand new cars ripping out the stock exhaust for extra HP.

Cut open a stock muffler and i bet its a baffled design. Not a straight through or chambered setup.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
The fact that no sponsors here who sell an intake or exhaust won't post dyno charts speaks volumes. Wouldn't a manufacturer want the world to know if their parts made horsepower over the stock item? I would.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The fact that no sponsors here who sell an intake or exhaust won't post dyno charts speaks volumes. Wouldn't a manufacturer want the world to know if their parts made horsepower over the stock item? I would.
I have seen several dyno sheets for intakes from manufactures. Most people dismiss them because they believe they have been embellished to boost sales.