Sponsored

Installing Rooftop Tents

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hopefully this link works...

I got the idea for it here. I bought the same hunting stands. Like this person, I have an iKamper, that weighs about 160lbs. He used two 2x4's as crossbars. I did that, but started to see a pretty big deflection in the wood when raising it. I ended up screwing another 2x4 so it's really mostly a 4x4, except for about 5" at the end, where it connects to the coathanger part of the deer stand.

I also have a Yakima crossbar set from years ago. I ended up bolting the yakima crossbar to the ikamper and then insert an (maybe) 10' long piece of black pipe through the yakima crossbar. I then tied it into those 2x4's mentioned above. The reason for this is because when it's sitting on the 2x4's, it's not attached to anything, possibly causing the tent to go sliding forward or backwards.

I tried to build the following:

I followed this guy's instructions to the T, but it wasn't strong enough. When I was using my winch, I think that the winch wasn't smooth enough and caused the top 2x4's to bounce enough to where it started cracking the wood. Once it cracked, the one failed. Then the other 2x4 failed. Then my tent slid down the a-frame and by some miracle, instead of falling 8', it only fell about 4' and the black pipe got wedged in the a-frame part. There was some scratches in the tent, but overall, I was extremely lucky. This is why I ended up probably over-engineering my hunting hoist platform.

Let me know if you have any questions. Like I mentioned above, I think that a ceiling mounted hoist system is the cheapest, safest, and easiest option. I personally can't pull my Jeep into the garage with the tent on it so that method is out. I've used the hunting stand method twice and while it works, I still cringe a bit when I load/unload it.
Thanks, that looks really solid and simple which is always better to keep things from failing!

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this...do you have any pics of your setup?

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thanks for posting this...do you have any pics of your setup?
Here are some pictures of it. I'm not sure the order it will post them but here's an overview...

First picture shows the tent on the setup with the wood. I placed three rows of 2x4's under the tent but it flexed a bit too much. I then doubled up the 2x4's and actually ended up removing the middle one later on. I also used two pipes; one in front and one in back, to make sure it didn't slide off. Like the middle 2x4, in my last test, I just used the rear pipe because I felt like that would be enough to just tack the tent on the 2x4's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 20210905_142045

The next picture is a closer up of the setup. I had to shave the front and rear 2x4's to get it to fit in the stand. I used a long bolt so that the 2x4 wouldn't slide out. I then had a 2x4 going across all 3 2x4's to connect to the pipe in the rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 20210905_142121

The next picture shows more of the pipe connection with the black pipe running through the yakima cross bar. Then the ikamper being clamped to that pipe and track. You can also see how I doubled up the 2x4's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 20210905_175135

Another close up shot of the 2x4's, showing the doubled up configuration. It's important to note that I would add some sort of carpet around the bolts to not scratch the Jeep's hard top. It's a tight fit up there and you need to either flip the 2x4's over to slide them out or use extreme caution when removing them to not scratch it. I *may* replace these with a spax screw and remove the carriage bolts or add carpet or a moving blanket on top of my hard top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 20210905_183411

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anymore questions.

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pics of the jeep under the contraption for the tent to be mounted?
I just want to see how wide the base is and how much room (top and side) it has. My setup with the 2 ladders (page 1 of this thread) works to mount/dismount by myself...but I have next to none margin of error.

Also, how to you remove the long 2x4 after the tent is on the roof rack?

Here are some pictures of it. I'm not sure the order it will post them but here's an overview...

First picture shows the tent on the setup with the wood. I placed three rows of 2x4's under the tent but it flexed a bit too much. I then doubled up the 2x4's and actually ended up removing the middle one later on. I also used two pipes; one in front and one in back, to make sure it didn't slide off. Like the middle 2x4, in my last test, I just used the rear pipe because I felt like that would be enough to just tack the tent on the 2x4's.

The next picture is a closer up of the setup. I had to shave the front and rear 2x4's to get it to fit in the stand. I used a long bolt so that the 2x4 wouldn't slide out. I then had a 2x4 going across all 3 2x4's to connect to the pipe in the rear.

The next picture shows more of the pipe connection with the black pipe running through the yakima cross bar. Then the ikamper being clamped to that pipe and track. You can also see how I doubled up the 2x4's.

Another close up shot of the 2x4's, showing the doubled up configuration. It's important to note that I would add some sort of carpet around the bolts to not scratch the Jeep's hard top. It's a tight fit up there and you need to either flip the 2x4's over to slide them out or use extreme caution when removing them to not scratch it. I *may* replace these with a spax screw and remove the carriage bolts or add carpet or a moving blanket on top of my hard top.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pics of the jeep under the contraption for the tent to be mounted?
I just want to see how wide the base is and how much room (top and side) it has. My setup with the 2 ladders (page 1 of this thread) works to mount/dismount by myself...but I have next to none margin of error.

Also, how to you remove the long 2x4 after the tent is on the roof rack?
Well, I didn't take many pictures because I didn't want to dilly dally with anything too much. The best I have is security camera footage of the process.

As for the width, everything is packed up and really hard to reach...but I would take a pretty good guess that I used 8' long 2x4's and a 10' long piece of black pipe. In the pictures, you can see that it's pretty tight, but you have room. If I were to guess, I have about 6" of error on each side. Of course, you could make it more by using 10' 2x4's. The biggest thing is to make sure that the rear wheel and fender clear the hunting stand pipe.

For removing the 2x4's. After the tent is on the Jeep, I remove the hunting stand and leave the 2x4's. I then slide the 2x4's out from the tent. Since the rack on the Jeep is about 4" high, it's pretty tight to remove the 2x4's. When I do is wedge the tent up a few inches so it gives me room to remove the 2x4's. I did scratch my hardtop a bit, which is why I'm going to either cover the carriage bolts in carpet or use spax screws and countersink them.

My wife does help with this process, which makes things much easier. I'm pretty confident that I would be able to do it on my own, if I had a way to pick the tent up and move it onto the platform myself. I have some ideas of using dollys to slide it around onto the platform, so that it just makes life easier.

It sounds like it takes awhile, but the first time putting it up it took almost exactly an hour from start to finish. I'm still refining the process, but I'm going to guess that the time will be cut in half once I get everything properly marked and optimize the process. I've also only put the tent up and have taken it off using this, so I'm still learning.

Overall, it's not pretty but it seems to do a good job. The only other one that had my interest was a hitch mounted lift. The thing with that is I'm not sure it's good to put that much stress at that angle on the hitch, I'm not confident of my welding abilities, and I would still have to build a platform for it. Also, I didn't know there would be as much interest in this, but I will take some more pictures in the late spring when I put it back on if anybody is interested.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 1vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h21m50s170
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 2vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h22m30s874
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 3vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h22m55s262
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 4vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h23m22s190
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 5vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h24m04s507
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents 6vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h32m53s417
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Rooftop Tents vlcsnap-2022-01-06-08h37m56s919 (2)

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for taking the time to post this. It really helps.

I'm just debating now if it's worth it for me to abandon my current setup and buy the items required to replicate yours. My ladder method works, but my 10' ladder is too short so I have to use the 4 work platform. The work platform is what makes it a very narrow path to drive thru. If I have 2x12' ladder it'd be perfect. It's actually very stable and quick to setup. With the hoist above it takes no time to lift and lower.

Well, I didn't take many pictures because I didn't want to dilly dally with anything too much. The best I have is security camera footage of the process.

As for the width, everything is packed up and really hard to reach...but I would take a pretty good guess that I used 8' long 2x4's and a 10' long piece of black pipe. In the pictures, you can see that it's pretty tight, but you have room. If I were to guess, I have about 6" of error on each side. Of course, you could make it more by using 10' 2x4's. The biggest thing is to make sure that the rear wheel and fender clear the hunting stand pipe.

For removing the 2x4's. After the tent is on the Jeep, I remove the hunting stand and leave the 2x4's. I then slide the 2x4's out from the tent. Since the rack on the Jeep is about 4" high, it's pretty tight to remove the 2x4's. When I do is wedge the tent up a few inches so it gives me room to remove the 2x4's. I did scratch my hardtop a bit, which is why I'm going to either cover the carriage bolts in carpet or use spax screws and countersink them.

My wife does help with this process, which makes things much easier. I'm pretty confident that I would be able to do it on my own, if I had a way to pick the tent up and move it onto the platform myself. I have some ideas of using dollys to slide it around onto the platform, so that it just makes life easier.

It sounds like it takes awhile, but the first time putting it up it took almost exactly an hour from start to finish. I'm still refining the process, but I'm going to guess that the time will be cut in half once I get everything properly marked and optimize the process. I've also only put the tent up and have taken it off using this, so I'm still learning.

Overall, it's not pretty but it seems to do a good job. The only other one that had my interest was a hitch mounted lift. The thing with that is I'm not sure it's good to put that much stress at that angle on the hitch, I'm not confident of my welding abilities, and I would still have to build a platform for it. Also, I didn't know there would be as much interest in this, but I will take some more pictures in the late spring when I put it back on if anybody is interested.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for taking the time to post this. It really helps.

I'm just debating now if it's worth it for me to abandon my current setup and buy the items required to replicate yours. My ladder method works, but my 10' ladder is too short so I have to use the 4 work platform. The work platform is what makes it a very narrow path to drive thru. If I have 2x12' ladder it'd be perfect. It's actually very stable and quick to setup. With the hoist above it takes no time to lift and lower.
Mind you, I have a stock JLU Rubicon. I don't have a lift or haven't changed the tires. If you were to use the stand as intended, the instructions say the hanger thing goes up 93" (7.75'). You could wheel the hanger all the way up to the top (at 107"/8.9'), but I wasn't going to try.

The ladder method is interesting, but ladders are expensive. On the other hand, I'm not a hunter, so I have no use for these deer stands other than lifting the tent. Spending almost $300 for both stands for an experiment is quite the expense. Just something to think about.

Would you be able to post your ladder setup? I'm picturing two ladders on each side of the Jeep with something going across the top. I think it's good to get ideas and then let people make their decision on what works for them the best!

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've mounted/unmounted with this setup a few times...mostly solo. The only help I needed was to setup the 4x4 beam on top. It's actually quite sturdy and I've never had any close calls.

From setup to mounting it takes me about 30min. The most time consuming part is to get the ratchet straps tight and centered so that it's balanced when it's hoisted up.

Mind you, I have a stock JLU Rubicon. I don't have a lift or haven't changed the tires. If you were to use the stand as intended, the instructions say the hanger thing goes up 93" (7.75'). You could wheel the hanger all the way up to the top (at 107"/8.9'), but I wasn't going to try.

The ladder method is interesting, but ladders are expensive. On the other hand, I'm not a hunter, so I have no use for these deer stands other than lifting the tent. Spending almost $300 for both stands for an experiment is quite the expense. Just something to think about.

Would you be able to post your ladder setup? I'm picturing two ladders on each side of the Jeep with something going across the top. I think it's good to get ideas and then let people make their decision on what works for them the best!
RTT.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This first video inspired me search for a way to do it on a Jeep and I found the second one. I am sure other ways beside the hitch cargo carrier but one at Harbor Freight is only $70. Do it wrong and you break your back window I am sure!

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html
The cargo carrier is an interesting way of doing it. With the rack I have though, it would be sliding up on the hard top. If you had one of those platform racks maybe it would work better.

On another experiment, I used two 2x8's or maybe 2x10's with big hooks on the end. I hooked it to the rear crossbar and made a little ramp. Unfortunately, I figured out that the angles are wrong and couldn't get the lumber to touch the ground, so I had to use a table. Trying to slide a tent up wood like that was pretty tough.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've mounted/unmounted with this setup a few times...mostly solo. The only help I needed was to setup the 4x4 beam on top. It's actually quite sturdy and I've never had any close calls.

From setup to mounting it takes me about 30min. The most time consuming part is to get the ratchet straps tight and centered so that it's balanced when it's hoisted up.
I like what you have going on but I would be afraid that those ladder extension steps would make it wiggle more. I like the winch on top. My first experiment was similar to that with the a-frame but I think I would need to just make it more beefy.

Since you have a lot already built, you may want to think about getting a couple 10' or 12' 4x4's and replacing the ladders with them. I think that if you either double up 2x4's or use a 4x4 with a support going across the middle (so it makes a real A), it may be enough to support all the weight.

Lumber has come down in price a lot since I built what I did last year. Plus, I have a better chance to repurpose the wood instead of the hunting stand or ladders.

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
gotta try out the cargo carrier idea...but I doubt I can lift and slide my massive tent up there. I think it weights 160lbs.

The cargo carrier is an interesting way of doing it. With the rack I have though, it would be sliding up on the hard top. If you had one of those platform racks maybe it would work better.

On another experiment, I used two 2x8's or maybe 2x10's with big hooks on the end. I hooked it to the rear crossbar and made a little ramp. Unfortunately, I figured out that the angles are wrong and couldn't get the lumber to touch the ground, so I had to use a table. Trying to slide a tent up wood like that was pretty tough.

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I like what you have going on but I would be afraid that those ladder extension steps would make it wiggle more. I like the winch on top. My first experiment was similar to that with the a-frame but I think I would need to just make it more beefy.

Since you have a lot already built, you may want to think about getting a couple 10' or 12' 4x4's and replacing the ladders with them. I think that if you either double up 2x4's or use a 4x4 with a support going across the middle (so it makes a real A), it may be enough to support all the weight.

Lumber has come down in price a lot since I built what I did last year. Plus, I have a better chance to repurpose the wood instead of the hunting stand or ladders.
True...I can build a better structure...but the setup and tear down time will take much longer. Easier to repurpose or sell the ladder than lumber.

My other alternative is to buy or make the beam slightly longer...so that I have more room to drive thru. I'm not worried about the platform, it's pretty stable with no wiggle. I'm just worried about clipping it with my tire driving under it.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True...I can build a better structure...but the setup and tear down time will take much longer. Easier to repurpose or sell the ladder than lumber.

My other alternative is to buy or make the beam slightly longer...so that I have more room to drive thru. I'm not worried about the platform, it's pretty stable with no wiggle. I'm just worried about clipping it with my tire driving under it.
I worry about the same with the hunting tripod. My wife said I had enough room, but I always think of the old camera joke about backing up too far. There's enough room, but it's something I'm cognizant of. I also think that if I bump the tripod, it may scootch a bit. If you bump the platform, I feel like it may be easier for it to topple over.

At the end, everybody is going to have their own preference. I prefer wood because I can reuse it elsewhere. You prefer ladders because you can sell them. We just have to find something that works for us and get ideas from others!
Sponsored