Sponsored

Installing Rock Krawler kit, can I do it?

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
Hi everyone!

I just ordered the Rock Krawler Adventure Series 1 with their RRD TT shocks.

http://rockkrawler.com/jlu-2-5-inch-adventure-series-1-tt/

As you can see, it’s not the most basic kit nor the most complex. In preparation, I’m wondering if I can save the cost, and most importantly, learn the process and components if I can install myself with help of my brother. Do you think I can with basic tools? I don’t have air tools, got a torque wrench and jack stands/floor lift, basic wrenches. The plan, if possible, is to install myself and then take it to local 4x4 shop and have it aligned (and maybe they can doublecheck my work).

I’m not that experienced in vehicle mechanics and have never done any work to this degree, but I feel like if I pay close attention to their directions I should be ok? I’ve done simple things like air intake, bumpers, tire carrier.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've also got one to install in a few weeks. After looking over the instructions, RK suggests removing some material from the front LCA mounts for the LCA zerk fittings. If mounted per the instructions, the zerk's should be on top, to avoid being damaged. I've read where others have mounted the CA's with the zerk facing down without issues.

I boughta bi-metal hole saw kit to accomplish this as I want the zerk fittings up and away from potential trail damage.

I've installed several TJ and XJ lifts, so this lift is a breeze to install. But for a beginner, I still say it is definitely doable. The Jeep suspension is fairly simple to work on/modify. With all of the YouTube videos and forums nowadays, you should be able to get it done. I plan on having my 16 year old son do the majority of the work (with my supervision) so he can experience the joy (and busted knuckles) of installing his first lift.

If you do some research on how to do your own alignment, it is fairly simple. All you will need to adjust is the drag link (to re-center steering wheel) and set the toe to 1/16" toe in (or thereabouts).

I did all of my own suspension work on my TJ, without having too much experience and learned a lot! That's also how I learned to do the alignments myself. I had the TJ for 11 years and never had any tire wear problems. I did the same alignment on my 99 XJ too. I will never pay to have an alignment done on a solid axle Jeep again.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
You will need to drill a hole on the front axle bump pads for their bump stops. 1/2" bit should do it.

Only hard part will be the track bar. Hopefully you have a bench mounted vice since I wouldn't tighten the jam nut on the jeep. You'll need a crows foot, I think it's 1 1/4" (@Rock Krawler Suspension) and a breaker bar. I doubt your torque wrench goes that high and there's no point in buying another one just for one jam nut. So use a breaker and get it as tight as you can, if you manage to over torque it contact RK and they'll probably send you a trophy.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage you, the front track bar is super important and any slop is the #1 cause of death wobble, and RK makes the best track bars in the business. So your effort will be worth it.

You can also use basic geometry to set your track bar length.

Untitled.png

While your jeep is still stock and on the ground, measure length A and B. And then after it's lifted, use the pythagorean theorem to solve for C while keeping A the same as stock.

For example, let's say you measure A as 34 inches and B as 4 inches. That makes your stock track bar (C) 34 1/4 inches long (eye to eye).

But let's say you get 4 inches of lift out of those springs. Now your B value is 8 inches. So you should set your RK track bar to 35 inches.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You will need to drill a hole on the front axle bump pads for their bump stops. 1/2" bit should do it.

Only hard part will be the track bar. Hopefully you have a bench mounted vice since I wouldn't tighten the jam nut on the jeep. You'll need a crows foot, I think it's 1 1/4" (@Rock Krawler Suspension) and a breaker bar. I doubt your torque wrench goes that high and there's no point in buying another one just for one jam nut. So use a breaker and get it as tight as you can, if you manage to over torque it contact RK and they'll probably send you a trophy.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage you, the front track bar is super important and any slop is the #1 cause of death wobble, and RK makes the best track bars in the business. So your effort will be worth it.

You can also use basic geometry to set your track bar length.

Untitled.png

While your jeep is still stock and on the ground, measure length A and B. And then after it's lifted, use the pythagorean theorem to solve for C while keeping A the same as stock.

For example, let's say you measure A as 34 inches and B as 4 inches. That makes your stock track bar (C) 34 1/4 inches long (eye to eye).

But let's say you get 4 inches of lift out of those springs. Now your B value is 8 inches. So you should set your RK track bar to 35 inches.
Dang!! I never thought about using the Pythagorean Theorem for this!!

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Great advice on here! Just take your time and stay organized with all the parts!

bi-metal hole saw on the LCA brackets and clipping the brake line brackets was probably the worst part of the whole process! The rest of the lift is pretty simple remove and replace.

Remember to loosen all control arms and torque when the jeep is back on the ground.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
One thing you will find is the bolts of the front lower control arms are very tight and can be challenge to loosen if not on a lift. It's almost impossible to get enough leverage to break them loose. A little trick is to use your floor jack on your breaker bar to apply enough pressure to loosen them. Another useful tool is the extra long HF metric wrenches. They come in handy when loosening and tightening the larger bolts and nuts (although there isn't an 18 which you will need).

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-pi...long-handle-combination-wrench-set-47067.html

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hi everyone!

As you can see, it’s not the most basic kit nor the most complex. In preparation, I’m wondering if I can save the cost, and most importantly, learn the process and components if I can install myself with help of my brother. Do you think I can with basic tools? I don’t have air tools, got a torque wrench and jack stands/floor lift, basic wrenches. The plan, if possible, is to install myself and then take it to local 4x4 shop and have it aligned (and maybe they can doublecheck my work).

I’m not that experienced in vehicle mechanics and have never done any work to this degree, but I feel like if I pay close attention to their directions I should be ok? I’ve done simple things like air intake, bumpers, tire carrier.

Thoughts?
@Roky has some great advice he passed along for when I tackle mine (this week since in QT at home!)

I'll let him share it so I don't get any of it wrong.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone!

Thoughts?
You can definitely handle installing yourself, you’ll be fine. Got any questions feel free to reach out.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You can do it, I did the x factor kit all by myself and im a stiff, sore, slow old man. Invented some new cuss words along the way but I got it done, did I mention im also stubborn?

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You can do it, jeeps are fun to work on in general they’re very simple. A lot of good information in previous posts, to add to it I’d recommend double checking that you have every tool for the job before you start. I believe the track bar jam nut is 1-5/16”. Another thing to add is since this lift has a lot of travel, for me lifting the frame rails up high enough to allow the new springs to be installed without setting the axle on the ground and squeezing them in made the install a lot more smooth. The cutting of the brackets will be the longest part. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward.

Sponsored

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
One thing you will find is the bolts of the front lower control arms are very tight and can be challenge to loosen if not on a lift. It's almost impossible to get enough leverage to break them loose.

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-pi...long-handle-combination-wrench-set-47067.html
Those were ridiculously hard to take off. My air impact couldn't do it (rated to 450ft-lbs), but I eventually got them loose by standing on a 24" breaker bar and pulling as hard as I could on the bumper for extra downward force. My wife thought it was hilarious to watch.

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
You can do it, I did the x factor kit all by myself and im a stiff, sore, slow old man. Invented some new cuss words along the way but I got it done, did I mention im also stubborn?
How long did it take you?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't ask me but I'll answer. Installing it is easy, it's just a bunch of nuts and bolts and a ballet with the floor jack. Getting everything adjusted is what can take some time to do it right. All the recommended arm lengths are suggestions, you really won't know how everything will line up until you get it on the ground. Adjusting your track bar(s) to center the axles, drag link to center your wheel, control arms to set caster and pinion angle, etc. And with the X factor, you'll have to remove one end of the control arm to adjust and then remove completely to get the arms on the bench to tighten the jam nut (except the rear uppers). Not to mention it's a good idea to cycle the suspension "dry" with no springs to check for proper bump stop height, brake line length and to make sure your locker wiring, vent hose and emergency brake cables are long enough and to check tire clearance under full compression. Even after all that, on mine the JKS quick connect sway bar link retainer brackets were too short and the sway bar was contacting the drag link under full compression. Something I missed when I cycled the suspension.

But having taken the time to set it up right, it tracks straight, doesn't wander and is smoother than stock. Between having the adjustable X Factor arms and dialing in the caster and upgraded Synergy track bar and drag link AND adjusting out the steering box play it's actually handles really well and is fun to drive again.

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
It took me about 7 hours solo start to finish (getting tools out to putting tools away) .... I did have a little period that my drill batteries died using a hole saw on the lower control arm brackets.

I have a Dewalt XR 20v impact and that made quick work on all my bolts, no issues getting anything off with that.

First time doing a lift or any major suspension work on a vehicle.