Installing and rotating tires yourself

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I just bought/ordered a set of tires and wheels from Northridge online including TPMS and balancing. My JL Sahara is built but still in shipping stages, so I'm in preparation mode. I'm fully capable of removing wheels and putting them back on but is there anything I should be aware of or cautious of when swapping the stock wheels/tires for these aftermarkets? I did order a set of hubcentric rings and a new set of lug nuts, which supposedly should work with these wheels.

[edit] I know about tire size differences on speedometer/odometer. I have a Tazer in-hand already.
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Do you have a torque wrench to properly torque the lug nuts? If so, you are good to go.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@IronScott

Well, I will talk to you like I would talk to someone that had not done this deed before....

Well for the stock lugs, you will need a 19mm socket or you can use a 3/4" socket. You may need a breaker bar to crack the lugs loose as the factory really has them on there...

JL Manual says 130 ft/lb torque for wheel lug nuts and 59 ft/lb on the spare tire lugs. DO use a torque wrench when tightening a wheel. Do a Google search and learn how to torque properly.

Most guys that have commented here have not torqued to the 130 and have gone with 128 or so.

I myself carry a 15" breaker bar and a 19mm socket in the back of the JL just in case I ever need to change a flat. A breaker bar will get the job done when that cutsey tool that FCA supplies gives to little leverage.

A hint in regard to carrying the breaker bar. Get a 18" piece of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot and just lay the breaker bar in it. Now, you can take that breaker bar cradled in the foam and place it right in the little compartment in the back with the jack. The foam covering on the bar will prevent rattles..

With your new wheels, be real careful to be sure the lugs you bought work aok with them..... DON'T crank down on them until you see that they align with the wheel holes, etc.. You do not want to damage the wheel.

Remember, tightening the lugs in a cross pattern reduces the likelihood of things shifting and flexing, which means that your lugs will stay tight after you torque them. See the pic below...

Capture.PNG

View attachment 114997

View attachment 114998

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@IronScott

Well, I will talk to you like I would talk to someone that had not done this deed before....

Well for the stock lugs, you will need a 19mm socket or you can use a 3/4" socket. You may need a breaker bar to crack the lugs loose as the factory really has them on there...

JL Manual says 130 ft/lb torque for wheel lug nuts and 59 ft/lb on the spare tire lugs. DO use a torque wrench when tightening a wheel. Do a Google search and learn how to torque properly.

Most guys that have commented here have not torqued to the 130 and have gone with 128 or so.

I myself carry a 15" breaker bar and a 19mm socket in the back of the JL just in case I ever need to change a flat. A breaker bar will get the job done when that cutsey tool that FCA supplies gives to little leverage.

A hint in regard to carrying the breaker bar. Get a 18" piece of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot and just lay the breaker bar in it. Now, you can take that breaker bar cradled in the foam and place it right in the little compartment in the back with the jack. The foam covering on the bar will prevent rattles..

With your new wheels, be real careful to be sure the lugs you bought work aok with them..... DON'T crank down on them until you see that they align with the wheel holes, etc.. You do not want to damage the wheel.

Remember, tightening the lugs in a cross pattern reduces the likelihood of things shifting and flexing, which means that your lugs will stay tight after you torque them. See the pic below...
Thanks for the response. I'm aware already of most things you mentioned. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something. I did not have a good breaker bar until recently when I needed it for my old Silverado. I wish I had bought it years ago. Would've saved a lot of headaches with stubborn bolts and lug nuts.

Good tip on the foam on the breaker bar. Thanks!

I've ordered hubcentric rings for the wheels and new lug nuts, since apparently the stock ones won't work. It was like pulling teeth to get information about the lug nuts. Amazing when you spend so much money with a company and need a very simple answer and can't get a straight response. I'm pissed about it but not going to disparage the company unless I can't get the aftermarket lugs to work.

Again, thanks for the response.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a new pattern I haven’t seen before. I routinely follow the 5 tire rotation protocol for rear wheel drive vehicles of:

Spare to RR
RR to RF
RF to LR
LR to LF
LF to spare

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That’s a new pattern I haven’t seen before. I routinely follow the 5 tire rotation protocol for rear wheel drive vehicles of:

Spare to RR
RR to RF
RF to LR
LR to LF
LF to spare
From one of the other (many) threads on this topic (there is no right or wrong pattern, just be consistent):

upload_2018-11-29_20-47-30.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Rhinebeck1, great info on the breaker bar and the handy tip for storing, it is true that it's rare for most of us that haven't had 14mm lugs to realize how much force you'll need to break the lug nuts free w/ that wimpy wrench in the tool kit (not to mention having enough leverage to tighten them up adequately to get to a repair shop).

Also, be sure to get 4 jackstands for worry free rotations and many other repairs, not worth the chance of using two jackstands for one end and a hydraulic jack for the other. Chances for a hydraulic jack failing might be slim, but not worth a life threatening incident.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Spare to RR
RR to RF
RF to LR
LR to LF
LF to spare
It's easier to remember, because it's basically just a loop with a cross

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, guys! Great help.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another thing you might consider, just getting a cheap 1/2" drive Harbor Freight torque wrench w/ a small extension and socket. This comes in a plastic case, could easily be stored in the jeep and are pretty accurate for lug nut torque downs. Can be had w/ coupons for about $12 :)

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I usually put either some black or painter's tape around the outside of the socket I'm using for the lug nuts which might save a paint chip. (especially if the lug nuts in the wheels are recessed a ways and there's little clearance.)

If I remember, the manual states 130lb/ft for the lug nut's...I only torqued my new wheels down to 100. Will check the tq in a week or so.
One thing I thought was odd. When I was cracking the stock lug nuts loose before I jacked it up (The lug nuts had never been off), I could loosen them with one finger on my 24" breaker bar. It took a little effort, but I could do it fairly easily on nearly all of them. They absolutely were not torqued down to 130lb/ft.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I usually put either some black or painter's tape around the outside of the socket I'm using for the lug nuts which might save a paint chip. (especially if the lug nuts in the wheels are recessed a ways and there's little clearance.)

If I remember, the manual states 130lb/ft for the lug nut's...I only torqued my new wheels down to 100. Will check the tq in a week or so.
One thing I thought was odd. When I was cracking the stock lug nuts loose before I jacked it up (The lug nuts had never been off), I could loosen them with one finger on my 24" breaker bar. It took a little effort, but I could do it fairly easily on nearly all of them. They absolutely were not torqued down to 130lb/ft.
Good tip about the painters tape on socket :handsinair:
Maybe the factory still has their impact guns set to JK lug nut torque???
Sponsored