Sponsored

Do you rotate your spare into the mix when rotating tires?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
This is my first car where the spare is so visible that it made me think about whether or not I should be rotating the tire in.
Sponsored

frankorego

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR Hard Rock (sold) 2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Manager
This is my first car where the spare is so visible that it made me think about whether or not I should be rotating the tire in.
yes, I do! It's not about looks but keeping all the tires with the relatively same wear. Buy a cover if you're worried about looks!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Yep rotate it through. Even though you end up buying a 5th tire, I believe the math will work out to be cheaper because you extend the time between tire changes. Also; if you don't rotate it through it's very easy to become complacent about your spare. Before you know it 10 years have passed, your spare doesn't match your driving set, and it's so old it shouldn't be relied upon anyways.

I understand why pickup owners may not rotate their full size spare, if the wheel doesn't match it's just irritating having to mount the full size spare to a proper wheel every 5,000 miles (or whatever your routine is). But since our spare wheel matches, I see no reason to not rotate it through.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Given its accessibility and full size, absolutely rotate it into the mix!

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
yes, I do! It's not about looks but keeping all the tires with the relatively same wear. Buy a cover if you're worried about looks!
when i said it was the first tire visible, i just meant the rest were out of sight, out of mind. i just never thought about it. :D

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Well I did until I picked up a 1/2” diameter lag bolt in one of my 4 on the ground. When I replaced the tire with a new shoe, I decided to leave it out of the rotate.

Sponsored

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
I did not on the factory set but I have rotated all 5 when I upgraded to a lift and larger tires. I have 50k miles on a set of Ridge Grapplers with a lot of tread left. Rotate roughly every oil change. You also don't need to use jack stands when you rotate all 5 as you always have an extra tire to replace the one wheel that's jacked up.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I did rotate mine for like the first 10-15k ( every 5k ) then for some reason stopped as I over thought the process but now it’s to late as the spare is practically new compared to the other four so after discussing this with my buddy at DT he advised just continue to rotate the four and when getting a new set after the first few rotations then add it back.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I rotate all five tires clockwise every five thousand miles. This method is much easier to remember than the diagrams in earlier posts. My five stock tires have now been mounted in all five positions. On to round two ;)

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Nope. I would rather not rotate the spare...It is a personal opinion, but I like having all four tires with equal tread wear. I rotate my JLR the same as I did my Raptors, every 5000 miles, X the front to back and bring the rears straight to the front. Have always gotten great, even wear this way and handles/tracks arrow straight!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
5 tire rotation and oil change every 5k miles. I let the oil pan drip dry while swapping tires.
Sponsored