Sponsored

Installed Dynomax Muffler Delete

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Ended up putting the delete pipe back on after making the notch. Sounds much better now I wonder if dynomax will add the notch as an update in the future?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Question about the notch - is it something you make on install or can you pre-notch? How do you know to make it?

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
It’s pretty noticeable where it needs to go when you remove the old muffler. I used a pair of snips and it did the job. Wish I would have taken pictures but it’s already back on. Nothing to crazy or complicated though.

Spetz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL
Installed mine today. Biggest pain in the ass was getting the old one off. Took 25 mins total from start to finish. Cut the notch out and it aligned perfectly. Love the sound, especially the little pops and gurgles you get doing higher rev’d “manual“ up and downshifts with the auto. Nice and quiet on the highway too.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I borrowed some snips for the notch modification but haven’t completed it yet. I just don’t feel like it needs it. After a month so far, it doesn’t sound tinny and I don’t know what an exhaust leak sounds or smells like. Should I do it anyway or it possible they don’t all need it?

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
You might not need to notch it. You can check a couple of ways...
  1. While the engine is cold, start the Jeep and feel up around where the clamp is and feel for any blow-by.
  2. Look for any soot that's blown out of the gap, making the tubing black.
  3. You can hear it when you get close, but having not heard it before, you might not recognize it - so maybe stick with 1 or 2?

If it is leaking, you can notch it to see if that helps. When I had mine and even after a notch, it still leaked. I threw some exhaust paste up around the seal and that took care of things.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
You might not need to notch it. You can check a couple of ways...
  1. While the engine is cold, start the Jeep and feel up around where the clamp is and feel for any blow-by.
  2. Look for any soot that's blown out of the gap, making the tubing black.
  3. You can hear it when you get close, but having not heard it before, you might not recognize it - so maybe stick with 1 or 2?

If it is leaking, you can notch it to see if that helps. When I had mine and even after a notch, it still leaked. I threw some exhaust paste up around the seal and that took care of things.
Thank you! I’ll try these.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice job on that comparison clip Cullen :like:

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I think it’s time to make the notch. Have been hearing a tinny rattle on cold-ish acceleration after some Colorado trail running.

makumozosd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
6+ months later and I'm still rocking the muffler delete on my 2.0T. Cold start still sounds like shi* but overall I'm OK with it. The 2.0T sounds pretty bland to begin with so no surprise there. No one has mentioned power increases with this mod but Its likely to add a few horsepower on the 2.0T as FI engines love ANY reduction in exhaust backpressure. That is not always the case on NA engines like the V6. Aside from the additional clearance and weight savings the sound is last on my "pros" list for this mod. Reading through this thread it seems the delete compliments the V6 sound better than the 2.0T.
Sponsored