Insight needed from Rubicon owners

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Since you are ordering a JLR, here's some thoughts based on my experience with the 2020 JLR that was ordered in December

2020 June Rain.jpg

Answers to the questions:
•What are your impressions so far bone stock?
Though only lasting 800 miles before being lifted, the Jeep was a blast to drive, including some DD (~50 miles each way). The lift was a 3.5" RK lift T-Rex (i.e., mid arm in the front, long arm in the back). The JLR drives really nice.

•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
For off road and rock crawling, along with highway DD, this is my list of recommended mods
RK T-Rex Lift
Steer Smart steering
Artec Aluminum belly skids (custom made from a 4-door kit)
Front and Rear diff skid
Artec Truss system
Locked Off Road Hydr bump stops
Dirty Life bead locks with 37's
Artec front and rear bumpers
Rusty's tire carrier.

•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
Ordered the factory aux switches, not used yet.
Skip the steel bumpers and get a good set aftermarket bumpers (e.g., Artec)

•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
Buy good stuff so you only have to buy stuff once.
When you need a winch, it cannot fail.
A warranty is useless when you are broke on the trail.
Recommend Warn Zeon 10S winch.

Creeker's build is awesome! Also, whenever I think I am going a little overboard I just look at Creeker's build and it makes me think mine's a budget build!
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Well I have made the decision awhile back to end my 10 year relationship with my JK Sport to order a new JL around February. I have modified it throughout the years to stay within the budget I had at the time. I am now more financially secure so I really have my eyes on ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader as my JK does. Mainly highway daily driving and trail with some moderate rock crawling when off road.

•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
Just got my JL heavy-duty tow package you get heavy duty radiator alternator for uggs jewelry switches all pre-wired that's a no-brainer absolute must LED light package absolute must it's excellent and you'll end up paying far more for aftermarket that's not nearly the quality I think the look of the OEM front steel bumper is excellent take off the removable end caps winch ready go with synthetic line Warn you'll be set o last but not least definitely upgrade to the 8.4 radio screen I can't emphasize this enough it's got so many features that the others don't it's worth every penny not to mention the sound, and you can never duplicate it with aftermarket for the price of OEM. Two good examples if you ever want a front facing camera right now your only option is if you have the 8.4 screen if you want to see all the offroad instrumentation on one screen you must have 8.4 in otherwise you got to visualize one at a time on your driver's console, best audio sound regardless of your music taste hands down OEM $1,500 well spent.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Just got my JL heavy-duty tow package you get heavy duty radiator alternator for uggs jewelry switches all pre-wired that's a no-brainer absolute must LED light package absolute must it's excellent and you'll end up paying far more for aftermarket that's not nearly the quality I think the look of the OEM front steel bumper is excellent take off the removable end caps winch ready go with synthetic line Warn you'll be set o last but not least definitely upgrade to the 8.4 radio screen I can't emphasize this enough it's got so many features that the others don't it's worth every penny not to mention the sound, and you can never duplicate it with aftermarket for the price of OEM. Two good examples if you ever want a front facing camera right now your only option is if you have the 8.4 screen if you want to see all the offroad instrumentation on one screen you must have 8.4 in otherwise you got to visualize one at a time on your driver's console, best audio sound regardless of your music taste hands down OEM $1,500 well spent.
Haven’t heard about the off-road instrumentation. I totally would rather have it all on one screen instead of flipping through them on the smaller screen.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Two things.. Auxiliary switch and 8.4 Alpine have been awesome in my Rubi. That screen is fantastic and so easy to read. The Alpine system sounds spectacular as well. I should add the cold weather package as well. The heating steering wheel is glorious!

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Well I have made the decision awhile back to end my 10 year relationship with my JK Sport to order a new JL around February. I have modified it throughout the years to stay within the budget I had at the time. I am now more financially secure so I really have my eyes on ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader as my JK does. Mainly highway daily driving and trail with some moderate rock crawling when off road.

I’m in a similar situation. I still have my Rubicon JK of 12 years, which is my daily driver and occasional offroader, and considering to replace it with a Rubicon JL.

As an owner of 2 Rubicons over the years (a TJ and a JK), I can tell you my take:
- The Rubicon already has the heavier duty axels, gears, and lockers
- You don’t have to, but I would get a suspension lift (not a body lift) and bigger tires
- No need for metal bumpers unless you will take lots of risks off-road which since it’s your daily driver you probably won’t
- No need for a winch as you shouldn’t go off-roading alone and a tow strap is enough with another vehicle

Save the money from a winch and metal bumper to get a good suspension lift and bigger tires. But not necessary I guess. I just love it with a lift.

I had plastic bumpers and no winch for 12 years and took it off-road quite a bit on rocks here and there and no problems. And guess what. If you ever damage your plastic bumper, there are so Many used like new out there for practically free because so many people get rid of them and no one else buys them.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway

I've owned 36 Jeeps since 1972 The Rubicons are by far the best for off road and the best for holding their value to sell or trade later.

Don't waste your money on the factor steel bumper options and save it for a quality after market bumper. The price isn't much different and the aftermarket ones are much stronger and in most cases more rugged looking.

As far as mods, you can fit 35's with no issues so why invest $3000 or more for a good lift kit, save it for bumpers and winches. Don't waste money on 37s or bigger tires, you''ll have to spend another few grand for gear upgrades and don't believe the ones who tell you otherwise.

Your stock Rubicon from what it sounds will serve you fine for the rare what if instances you get into, if you play by the cardinal rule of never bet the only Jeep on your trip, you'll live to come home. My rule is a minimum of 3 Jeeps and preferably 5 here in the desert. Screw up in the desert and you might die. I had an instance in Utah where it took 4 other Jeeps to pull me out of a dry lake. If I would have been by myself, I might never have been found.

Best gear you can get is a good Ham radio (not a cheap assed Chinese brand but a Kenwood or Yeasu) and either a SPOT or inReach to call for help if you do get in trouble.

Enjoy your Rubi !

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
For mostly daily driving and some off road, l pull from the same list as others. Unless working on it is your hobby,

35 tires. Good ride, no mods.

Tazer. Lets you unlock many goodies.

Tow package.

Aftermarket bumpers.

Drive it like you stole it!

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I just went from a JKU to a JLUR and agree with the above posts. One other thing to consider is the hardtop. The JL/JLU hard top freedom panels are a lot easier to go on and off compared to the JK. For a DD, the hardtop is nice to have. More secure, quieter and much easier to access the cargo area. Otherwise, the only option I got was the cold weather group which is great here in the northeast, but may not be necessary for you in Texas.

Compared to my JKU, the JLUR is a major upgrade. Even in base form the rubicon trim is really loaded for a wrangler.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I've owned 36 Jeeps since 1972 The Rubicons are by far the best for off road and the best for holding their value to sell or trade later.

Don't waste your money on the factor steel bumper options and save it for a quality after market bumper. The price isn't much different and the aftermarket ones are much stronger and in most cases more rugged looking.

As far as mods, you can fit 35's with no issues so why invest $3000 or more for a good lift kit, save it for bumpers and winches. Don't waste money on 37s or bigger tires, you''ll have to spend another few grand for gear upgrades and don't believe the ones who tell you otherwise.

Your stock Rubicon from what it sounds will serve you fine for the rare what if instances you get into, if you play by the cardinal rule of never bet the only Jeep on your trip, you'll live to come home. My rule is a minimum of 3 Jeeps and preferably 5 here in the desert. Screw up in the desert and you might die. I had an instance in Utah where it took 4 other Jeeps to pull me out of a dry lake. If I would have been by myself, I might never have been found.

Best gear you can get is a good Ham radio (not a cheap assed Chinese brand but a Kenwood or Yeasu) and either a SPOT or inReach to call for help if you do get in trouble.

Enjoy your Rubi !
We aren't quite at 36 jeeps yet, about half that in the last 20 years or so. Have you run 37's on a factory JL rubicon? Since you threw out unrelated numbers and observations as experience in the matter, what is your basis for "don't believe the ones who tell you otherwise"? 2" budget boost and longer shocks were all we needed to run 37's and it's still quick compared to a stock jk on the street and a beast off road. With the 4.7:1 1st gear in the 8 speed, the effective 1st gear ratio is 19.27:1. A late model jk would need a 5.13 axle gear to match that. An early jk with the anemic 2.86:1 first gear would need a 6.72 axle gear, which doesn't even exist. Not everyone wants or needs 37's, but they are very much an option on a JL even on a budget. Before you say "but it won't hold 8th gear anymore", set your cruise control at 75mph+ like everyone else on the freeway around here and it holds just fine. No it won't hold 8th at 60mph. But what do I know, just have both actual 1st hand experience and math on my side...
IMG_20200829_170914_112.jpg

Sponsored

Deleted member 59098

For moderate off roading, a kinetic rope, on board air, deflator, tool bag, better than stock jack, CB/GMRS and a few buddies to share the experience is all you need. Keep your Jeep nice and light.

Next step is better sliders, skid plates, steel bumpers, winch, spare axle shafts and other parts.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i made sure to add the engine block heater on my order. for $95, its super cheap and will be a huge help in cold weather and doing as much as i can to prevent start-up wear.
the salesguy made a smart comment asking if ill be driving to canada with it lol nope, just felt like it was a no brainer for under 100 bucks that cant really be installed after the fact!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
i made sure to add the engine block heater on my order. for $95, its super cheap and will be a huge help in cold weather and doing as much as i can to prevent start-up wear.
the salesguy made a smart comment asking if ill be driving to canada with it lol nope, just felt like it was a no brainer for under 100 bucks that cant really be installed after the fact!
I did the same thinking for $95 it was a slam dunk but then i learned it's not something that is always functioning but rather you have to do it manually?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I did the same thinking for $95 it was a slam dunk but then i learned it's not something that is always functioning but rather you have to do it manually?
yeah you have to plug it in, its more convenient if you have a garage and can run an extension cord from an outlet inside your garage to your jeep. once its plugged in, it starts warming up the engine block. its common to plug the vehicle in before you go to bed, then its warmed up for you when you start it in the morning.

just have to remember to un plug it before you drive away haha

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
I have 0 regrets on my build, here are some highlights:

-Aux switches are awesome, if you ever plan to add anything. I've added some hella LED driving lights and I have my radar detector wired in on ignition on, very helpful to have those wires ready to go both under the hood and under the dash.

-This jeep is far more capable than i am. I do not plan on lifting it at all, i might add 35s at some point, but i'm in no rush.

-Adaptive cruise control(Advanced saftey package) is worth every penny if you take road trips often. both my jeep and my ram have it, and it's amazing.

-I did not opt for steel bumpers. I didn't think it was worth it.

-Premium soft top is great. it's quiet, and it insulates well(although in Texas we have mild winters so this is less of a concern for me). The design of the soft top in general is leaps and bounds better than the JK.

-all weather floormats for the inevitable spills that will happen

-Front camera is just cool

-very happy with the Alpine/8.4" screen. The stereo is great. not as good as the harmon/kardon in the ram, but more than sufficient in a jeep

-every jeep should come with LED lighting. the headlights are great.
Sponsored