Sponsored

Insight needed from Rubicon owners

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Your sentiments echo across this forum and I hear you loud and clear.

However...

The finish on the bumper seems to be primed far better than some of the ones offered by aftermarket.

I say this because I 100% shared your sentiment until I started going thru this forum and heard from multiple people that road salt and other various road debris was causing their bumpers to rust after a few months of ownership.

Rust can be treated but it’s concerning to spend close to what the mopar one costs and have the finish not successfully stand up to the everyday elements. It’s also telling when the side steps are more durable in finish than the bumpers.

Maybe I’m being irrational but before dropping some coin on an aftermarket bumper, I’ve got to make sure it will last.

Please share your thoughts.
I had the factory steel bumpers. They were the only option I regretted. I now have LOD bumpers front and rear and I can tell you the difference is staggering. I would have destroyed that factory front bumper on some of the trails I've been on while the LOD bumper has hardly been scratched. Nevermind that you still have to purchase a winch plate on top of the cost of the factory bumper. That makes it almost double the cost of the LOD. The rear bumper is a giant pile of crap. There have been very few disappointments in the almost 2 years that I've had my Jeep. That rear bumper is something Jeep should be ashamed of.
Sponsored

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Heated seat.... Absolute must of you have a bad back. Other then that I swapped out the front plastic bumper for an aftermarket winch bumper. Also added a tailgate table. Outside of that bone stock and loving it.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Heated seat.... Absolute must of you have a bad back. Other then that I swapped out the front plastic bumper for an aftermarket winch bumper. Also added a tailgate table. Outside of that bone stock and loving it.
Yeah I’m definitely getting heated seats. I skateboarded heavily when I was younger which I enjoyed but it did a number on my back.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your sentiments echo across this forum and I hear you loud and clear.

However...

The finish on the bumper seems to be primed far better than some of the ones offered by aftermarket.

I say this because I 100% shared your sentiment until I started going thru this forum and heard from multiple people that road salt and other various road debris was causing their bumpers to rust after a few months of ownership.

Rust can be treated but it’s concerning to spend close to what the mopar one costs and have the finish not successfully stand up to the everyday elements. It’s also telling when the side steps are more durable in finish than the bumpers.

Maybe I’m being irrational but before dropping some coin on an aftermarket bumper, I’ve got to make sure it will last.

Please share your thoughts.
I think the Mopar front steel bumper is one of the better looking bumpers out there. To me, the price of the steel bumper group was worth the front bumper alone. I can have a full width or easily remove the wings and have a mid/stubby look and keep my fog lights.

And you're right about the finish and corrosion resistant (or lack thereof) on the stock steel bumper vs. some of the aftermarket ones.

Plus I know FCA engineered this bumper to work with the air bags and ensuring they deploy under the correct conditions. Worth the price of admission right there!

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I think the Mopar front steel bumper is one of the better looking bumpers out there. To me, the price of the steel bumper group was worth the front bumper alone. I can have a full width or easily remove the wings and have a mid/stubby look and keep my fog lights.

And you're right about the finish and corrosion resistant (or lack thereof) on the stock steel bumper vs. some of the aftermarket ones.

Plus I know FCA engineered this bumper to work with the air bags and ensuring they deploy under the correct conditions. Worth the price of admission right there!
Agreed. For the price, I had a laundry list of bumpers to chose from. In my opinion the Mopar Steel Bumper is refined looking and seems to go with the aesthetics of my Rubi. Good point on the air bag synergy as well.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Great call out!! I’m not willing to take any chances on modifications that will tamper with the vehicle’s crush cans.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Before the bag deployment point is settled please let me add that as a daily driver I love advanced safety group for the cruise control that slows you down and speeds you up. I basically hover over brake and use the finger controls on steering wheel to change speed or shut off or tap your brakes to turn the system off if you don’t like what’s happening. It takes some getting used to but oh man, driving in moving traffic is a breeze with this system. I leave it set to max 3 car lengths and my stress level goes way down. For example, if an aggressive driver cuts me off, the system instantly increases the distance between them and I. Somehow my desire to remove them from the road with prejudice is abated. There are other very positive experiences with the system, so I would recommend it if it’s a daily driver. Not much use on trails. Also, I like the side mirror blind spot light and tone as a backup safety device. Oh and, if the sky one touch is an option for you, let me say that as a daily driver it’s open and closed three or four times a day and I love it. Rain, close it. Parked, close it. Dusty smelly whatever, close it. As soon as it’s pleasant, one touch open. What else? Remote start and proximity. I wish proximity was on rear doors but it’s not. Still, quite convenient. Led lighting is a must if any night driving because it really lights up the road well. And finally I’ll say that I think the steel bumper option adds more than just the bumper but I can’t remember. Sorry for the long response here. Now please someone share thoughts on how bumpers do or do not affect air bag deployment.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I am coming up on two years of owning my JLUR. I spent a lot of time researching before I ordered. With that said, this is what I would tell you.

Skip the steel bumpers. While the front bumper is nice looking, it does not have a closed recovery point nor does it have winch plate. The rear bumper is junk and does not have a closed recovery point, it will flex into the tub of your jeep if struck during rock crawling causing body damage. For the cost of the steel bumper option, you can buy quality steel bumpers that are winch ready and have closed recovery points and buy a better tire carrier.

Aux group.... a must buy if you plan to add any electrical options. and saves you from either cutting holes in interior panels to mount switches or buy the costly switch panels that then get mounted in the vehicle and look terrible.. It is expensive and a pain in the ass to add after the fact. Plus you can adjust how the switches operate. Push and hold to be on, push to turn on and push to turn off, hot all the time so you can use what you wired to the switch while the Jeep is off, or wired to so the ignition has to be on. There are lots of options....

Tow package.... a must buy. The tow package is much for than a hitch. It is a bigger output alternator, bigger brakes, trailer wiring with the 4 pin and 7 pin connector. Also includes the wiring to easily install a brake controller. That alone is worth the cost. Just do some reading on adding a brake controller with out the tow package.... It is a total cluster fuck. With the tow package, plug in the wiring harness and mount the controller. Literally a ten minute install for a brake controller.

Just order the 8,4 premium stereo. sounds great and you also get the upgraded speakers with it. You can not put in an aftermarket system for even close to the same price. Then for about $5 dollars poly-fill around the speakers. Avery easy mod.

The cold weather option is well worth it. I will not ever own a vehicle again with out a heated steering wheel. The heated seat are nice also. I go topless a lot. It is nice when the sun goes down to turn the heated steering wheel and seats on and still be cozy as I cruise.

LED light package, You can not add LED light to the entire jeep for the same cost. Just cry once and buy once. They are super nice and really there is no real need to add extra lights with them.

Proximity locks. FUCKKKKKKKK i forgot to order these and have them on another vehicle. I know it seems like a small issue and they are cheap to order and super expensive to add after the fact and a super pain in the ass even if you can find someone that is capable of adding them. I hate having to dig in my pockets every time I need to lock or unlock the Jeep. Usually my pockets are full of daily carry stuff and my hands are full caring stuff to the Jeep. Just buy them. If you never had them, you will not miss them, but if you have had them you will want them. It is a 1st world problem, but still wish I would have ordered them.

You said you have been wheeling with a JK for years so I will not bother you with wheeling advice. I love my JLUR and have wheeled it all over the country. It is not a daily driver, but I do occasionally drive it because it is so much fun. It has 25,000+ miles on it and most of those miles are to and from wheeling trips and off-roading. Setting out for a 4,000 mile trip next month to the Rubicon Trail, and Moab from Michigan.

If you buy one, get ready for some great fun......

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I am coming up on two years of owning my JLUR. I spent a lot of time researching before I ordered. With that said, this is what I would tell you.

Skip the steel bumpers. While the front bumper is nice looking, it does not have a closed recovery point nor does it have winch plate. The rear bumper is junk and does not have a closed recovery point, it will flex into the tub of your jeep if struck during rock crawling causing body damage. For the cost of the steel bumper option, you can buy quality steel bumpers that are winch ready and have closed recovery points and buy a better tire carrier.

Aux group.... a must buy if you plan to add any electrical options. and saves you from either cutting holes in interior panels to mount switches or buy the costly switch panels that then get mounted in the vehicle and look terrible.. It is expensive and a pain in the ass to add after the fact. Plus you can adjust how the switches operate. Push and hold to be on, push to turn on and push to turn off, hot all the time so you can use what you wired to the switch while the Jeep is off, or wired to so the ignition has to be on. There are lots of options....

Tow package.... a must buy. The tow package is much for than a hitch. It is a bigger output alternator, bigger brakes, trailer wiring with the 4 pin and 7 pin connector. Also includes the wiring to easily install a brake controller. That alone is worth the cost. Just do some reading on adding a brake controller with out the tow package.... It is a total cluster fuck. With the tow package, plug in the wiring harness and mount the controller. Literally a ten minute install for a brake controller.

Just order the 8,4 premium stereo. sounds great and you also get the upgraded speakers with it. You can not put in an aftermarket system for even close to the same price. Then for about $5 dollars poly-fill around the speakers. Avery easy mod.

The cold weather option is well worth it. I will not ever own a vehicle again with out a heated steering wheel. The heated seat are nice also. I go topless a lot. It is nice when the sun goes down to turn the heated steering wheel and seats on and still be cozy as I cruise.

LED light package, You can not add LED light to the entire jeep for the same cost. Just cry once and buy once. They are super nice and really there is no real need to add extra lights with them.

Proximity locks. FUCKKKKKKKK i forgot to order these and have them on another vehicle. I know it seems like a small issue and they are cheap to order and super expensive to add after the fact and a super pain in the ass even if you can find someone that is capable of adding them. I hate having to dig in my pockets every time I need to lock or unlock the Jeep. Usually my pockets are full of daily carry stuff and my hands are full caring stuff to the Jeep. Just buy them. If you never had them, you will not miss them, but if you have had them you will want them. It is a 1st world problem, but still wish I would have ordered them.

You said you have been wheeling with a JK for years so I will not bother you with wheeling advice. I love my JLUR and have wheeled it all over the country. It is not a daily driver, but I do occasionally drive it because it is so much fun. It has 25,000+ miles on it and most of those miles are to and from wheeling trips and off-roading. Setting out for a 4,000 mile trip next month to the Rubicon Trail, and Moab from Michigan.

If you buy one, get ready for some great fun......
Agree with all of this except the tow package does not include bigger brakes, but does include a bigger battery. Everything else is spot on.

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I am now more financially secure
Well, that being said......get every possible option offered in your favorite color. Your sales rep will be your new best friend until you ask him to help you move. If something doesn't work out, tear it off and buy what does. After 4000 miles trade it in on another one and get reacquainted with your best friend sales guy or find another sales guy who'll help you move. Better yet, see if his manager will help you move.....Hey, you're now more financially secure! By God! You've given me an inspiration to wear a sandwich board with, "I'm now more financially secure!", printed in 6" font to my nearest FCA dealership to experience a reaction.

Jeep4Win, forgive me. I just thought the image would be hilarious and couldn't restrain myself, worthy of a Jim Carrey picture. Truly happy for your situation. :)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Hey, you're now more financially secure! By God! You've given me an inspiration to wear a sandwich board with, "I'm now more financially secure!", printed in 6" font to my nearest FCA dealership to experience a reaction.

Jeep4Win, forgive me. I just thought the image would be hilarious and couldn't restrain myself
Where @Jeep4Win lives, there are far more extraordinarily wealthy and more well to do folks than most people on this forum, including him.

While his post may be a reason for someone not used to being around the rich public to laugh or even scorn, a trip down here to look at some of the houses would make an outsider with “normal” pockets most likely regret life’s financial choices.

So if he has a little swag in his walk, while it may seem arrogant, it’s in line with people who have money in Celina.

On that note, I stay far away from Celina :CWL:

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well, that being said......get every possible option offered in your favorite color. Your sales rep will be your new best friend until you ask him to help you move. If something doesn't work out, tear it off and buy what does. After 4000 miles trade it in on another one and get reacquainted with your best friend sales guy or find another sales guy who'll help you move. Better yet, see if his manager will help you move.....Hey, you're now more financially secure! By God! You've given me an inspiration to wear a sandwich board with, "I'm now more financially secure!", printed in 6" font to my nearest FCA dealership to experience a reaction.

Jeep4Win, forgive me. I just thought the image would be hilarious and couldn't restrain myself, worthy of a Jim Carrey picture. Truly happy for your situation. :)
It really wasn’t a dig at anyone. I can see now how it could be taken the wrong way. Just stoked to afford one finally and not living off of ramen and ketchup sandwiches. I like your humor though. A lot of people around here are constantly getting new cars which I think is silly.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Where @Jeep4Win lives, there are far more extraordinarily wealthy and more well to do folks than most people on this forum, including him.

While his post may be a reason for someone not used to being around the rich public to laugh or even scorn, a trip down here to look at some of the houses would make an outsider with “normal” pockets most likely regret life’s financial choices.

So if he has a little swag in his walk, while it may seem arrogant, it’s in line with people who have money in Celina.

On that note, I stay far away from Celina :CWL:
It’s gotten pretty ridiculous out here. When we settled down here everyone knew each other’s name and the land was mostly fields and farming. Since then Plano, The Colony, and Frisco has shuffled its way out here along with the aforementioned arrogance.
Sponsored