Sponsored

Insight needed from Rubicon owners

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Aside from the factory options to choose from, like a few others mentioned, mud flaps for the front if you want to go cheap, or prepare to have rock sliders that can offer some shielding installed right away.

I picked up my Rubicon about a week ago, and within 2 days, I have a chip on a door hinge, a smaller chip on the rear lower quarter panel, a couple on the rear fenders, and a very weird one my front right quarter panel. You would not notice any of these unless you were looking for them, but I'm very anal about car detailing so i know every blemish every time I wash and wax.

Granted, all of the above happened because I was driving through a town that had just laid fresh gravel for the summer. I'm not sure why Caldwell Idaho does this every summer, but it cost me.

My mod list as follows as I daily drive my Rubicon in Southern California:
-Rock Sliders (honestly mainly for the rock chips, but double duty as a step too and the occasional offroad protection.
-Door sill plastic guards
-Clear bra on the entire front of the vehicle, and additional clear bra on the forward facing section of rear fenders.
-I opted for factory steal front bumpers as I like they look a little more aggressive, without going full rock crawler look. Again my vehicle is 90% daily driver and my taste tends to lean towards "factory upgrade" look.
-Maybe I'll do A Pillar ditch lights, someday.

Based on my research and where I live, I think this will make for a very balanced versatile vehicle.

Lastly, with all the different Rubicon configurations, I opted for a 2.0 Turbo w/ESS. (ESS is mandatory, but has a toggle switch to turn off). In my opinion stay clear of 48 volt hybrid system. For 2020, it comes on the 2.0 turbo Sahara's, and the Rubicon Recon editions. However regular 2.0 Turbo Rubicon does NOT have it. If you are shopping 2021's, keep an eye out for this detail.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have 1 year with my JLUR as my daily driver and have done a couple of off-road trips. Love it. In my opinion on options...

I think the front steal bumper is worth the cost even if you replace the rear. I spent more than the cost of the upgrade to put the mopar bumper and skid plate on mine that came with plastic bumpers. I really like the look of the mopar steal bumper. I'll do something different on the rear.

tow package gets you the aux switched and obviously towing. I installed both on mine myself. costs the same to do later (with mopar brand parts) but its a lot more work. Plus you get the upgraded alternator. I wish I had factory.

Also, maybe not necessary, but 2" lift and 37's and that thing will do anything. its amazing and so capable. and still a perfect daily driver.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
See my summary below in bold- details after them.
•What are your impressions so far bone stock?
Most Capable and comfortable Jeep I've ever owned. Very few issues outside the cracked windshield, CarPlay Connect issues (supposedly resolved by the Software update), and a couple recalls.

•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
Skid plates, Front/Rear Bumper or Tire carrier, and a winch. I've got the Quadratec Aluminum Oil Pan/ Engine Skid, Transfer case skid, and Fuel Tank skid. I've also go Rancho Diff skids (as the drain plugs are on the bottom of the housing) and 2 new Motobilt Diff covers waiting to go on. For Bumpers, I've got the Motobilt Crusher w/ Bull Bar up front, and I'm probably going Motobilt tire carrier on the rear. for my Winch, I got a Warn VR-10. I got most of these last summer and when all was said and done I'm in it for about $2k, thanks to smart planning/ shopping sales with free shipping and discounts. My build Philosophy is always Build UP: Sure, Skidplates aren't as sexy as big tires or fancy wheels, but they'll protect your parts and ensure you get home under your own power. "But I don't do extreme Rock Crawling and if I lift it I'm farther from the ground, so I'm safer and don't need skid plates"- WRONG. You can still slip or slide off a ledge, berm, log, whatever on a trail, and have something damage your undercarriage. Plus, most good skid plate systems come with reinforced (stronger than stock) steel cross members that won't bend or get caught as easily and will give a little bit of extra clearance.

•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
Aux Switches are worth it; Steel bumpers are not. There are better options for cheaper on the aftermarket. Ex: Steel Bumpers cost $1500 IIRC. I got my Motobilt Front bumper for just under $600 on sale and you can get the Motobilt Tire Carrier for ~$650. Those are middle of the road options.

•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
Warn. People will argue otherwise, but I'll go Warn every day of the week. I've had one that outlasted 2 Jeeps, and is currently living on the front of my buddy's '03 Rubi. I would have put it on my JLUR but it was an 8k and I wanted a 10k because I was going 4 dr.
For perspective: This is my 3rd Jeep. My last 2 were TJ's. I've wheeled them bone stock (plus skid plates) and slowly built them up over the years. They were daily driven weekend warriors that were comfortable on the highway at 70mph with no issues or hitting some of the most difficult trails in the Northeast.. and I've got the pictures to prove it ;)

For my JLUR, my focus is going to be the exact same as my past Jeeps, but this one will have the added function of being a family hauler/ Road trip vehicle, which, has been it's own adventure so far, to say the least. Feel free to @me with any questions on the options I chose or why I chose certain things. I've also added some plastic Door sill guards from Amazon, a Tailgate table from Springtail Solutions, and Alien Sun Shade, and a handful of Molle pouches to stash gear and supplies for my kids.

Oh, and don't fall for the "Mopar parts = everything will be covered under warranty, so I'll just pay extra". Speaking from experience, that is misguided at best, and won't matter. If it comes down to it, most dealers/ OEM's will try to stone wall you until you sue them anyway, unless it's a serious and life-threatening thing, and even then....

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Agreed. Winch and recovery.

I opted to install my Warn M8000-S on my JLR. Lighter, reliable, with easy fitment and more than enough to get my 2 door out of trouble. Oh, and the keyless entry is really a nice little luxury.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Lastly, with all the different Rubicon configurations, I opted for a 2.0 Turbo w/ESS. (ESS is mandatory, but has a toggle switch to turn off). In my opinion stay clear of 48 volt hybrid system. For 2020, it comes on the 2.0 turbo Sahara's, and the Rubicon Recon editions. However regular 2.0 Turbo Rubicon does NOT have it. If you are shopping 2021's, keep an eye out for this detail.
What may I ask is the main issue with the 48 volt system?

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What may I ask is the main issue with the 48 volt system?
Not a damn thing.....for now. There are those who don't like the eTorque as they aren't "proven" and fear the complexity of the engine will lead to high repair bills at some point down the road.

It's too early to tell if they're right or not. I for one really like the 2.0 eTorque (I have 2 JLUR's with them) and have had ZERO problems with it. The 3.6 is having much more problems due to the auxiliary battery.

If/when the 48v battery pack needs to be replaced for the eTorques, it will either still be under warranty or the prices will have come down due to their being more supply of them.

Drive both and buy the one you like. Get an extended warranty if that helps you sleep at night.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It’s debatable. There’s several posts from users that have had issues and needed them serviced prematurely after having their vehicles die on them while driving. Could it be a good system long term? Maybe, maybe not. But the benefit in mpg doesn’t outweigh the risk, at this point in time. I’m not saying the system is crap or bad, just that I don’t have confidence In it yet and I see enough red flags to choose not to have it.

And my other vehicle is an accord hybrid, so I do believe these systems are the way of the future.

Graydd

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a two door Rubicon 2.0 turbo (not the hybrid) with the steel bumpers and some of the mods I have done so far are...Steel tube doors, Replaced rock rails with step type with tube frame sliders and a shade top for when its naked. ALL of those mods were for the wife. All of them are very smart and help in obvious ways.

Added a roof rack, tailgate table (we eat lunch outdoors every day because of Corona virus stuff), Came with Jeep recovery bag, Harbor freight APEX 12000k wench fits into stock steel bumper with a wench plate. (Works great). Custom license plate holder (my state you have to have a front one) Got a fire extinguisher, small cube lights and a Mopar bull bar to protect the top of the wench.

I added a Curt receiver hitch and light kit. (if you have the LED lights the flat 4 light kit is more expensive and requires running a 12v + wire ran to the battery as the LEDs do not use 12 V) works great though. I plan to get the Mopar lift with 35's and some Rancho diff skid plates as the drain plug is right on the bottom and would surely be damaged and may leak or not come out after slammed a few times.

I love the aftermarket stuff that is out there for this Wrangler and the wife and I are adding nice convenient stuff all the time. Cant wait to go out west with it in the fall.

20200531_091433.jpg

20200605_095104.jpg

20200602_100126.jpg

20200602_100148.jpg

20200605_110156.jpg

20200513_103640.jpg

20200519_144450.jpg

20200520_142811.jpg

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader
I test drove a 2.0 liter turbo E-Torque Rubicon 2 door and was blown away. Unfortunately, It was 12 grand above my budget and I was in the market for a base Rubicon 2 door, which I never found on any lot within 200 miles searching for 6 months. I ended up with a 2005 built TJ Rubicon instead, saving 35 Grand for the same off road utility. Drove a lot of JKs, also. Truthfully, the old TJ 4.0 with its superb aftermarket suspension drives most like the 2.0 through 6th, but when the 2.0's eight speed goes into .84 and .67 you have an entirely different animal on the interstate. I'd assume in low range too.

My brother recently snagged a phenomenal deal on a built '18 JLUR 6 speed, never driven off road, 14k miles! Warn Bumpers and 15000 lb winch; rear bumper supports a 35X12 pneumatically swung KO2, 48" jack and other trail paraphernalia. Alpine sound with woofer on tire well instead of in floor.

I'd initially go as much stock as you can stand to go, then aftermarket as you wheel to meet your needs. Rock rails, and a bumper mounted tire carrier will be inevitable. The factory tailgate mounted carrier is barely suitable for 33s on pavement. Beat around trails awhile and you'll see. FCA's not doing you any favors with their upgrades. Avoid buying twice. If the aftermarket was building Wranglers, we'd be getting better Jeeps altogether.

So, which Rubicon? The difference in drive-ability in the 2.0 E-Torque 2 door and my brother's 3.6 manual 4 door is this: They are both excellent machines regarding their applications. I wanted an athletic 2 door and he needed a bus.

Last edited:

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Bone stock or not, easily the most comfortable and well-mannered wrangler yet.

Doesn't sound like anything would be really absolutely necessary, assuming your rock crawling isn't too extreme.

Factory aux switches are great, definitely worth it. Steel bumpers on the other hand are the one option I wish I'd skipped - the front is good, but the rear is next to useless. For the money, I'd go aftermarket for both.

I don't have a winch, but the Harbor Freight ones seem to be a popular budget-friendly option here.
Agree on rear bumper. Front is exceptional.

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I go bone stock for the most part. Don’t know if I’d want to take on Rubicon trail without a lift tho. I’ve never even remotely been close to being stuck anywhere. It’s my daily driver so wanted to keep stock tires and no lift to get into parking garages.

Upgrades

-Baja Designs LED fog lamps wired to stock switch.
-Warn Zeon 10 S winch. Fits on stock bumper.
- ARB Fridge
- Onboard compressor wires to AUX switches.

Love the stock front bumper and its modular which is rare. Must replace the rear which is a horrid piece of trash.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Lol. I can't argue with that, but it ain't worth well over $1000.
Your sentiments echo across this forum and I hear you loud and clear.

However...

The finish on the bumper seems to be primed far better than some of the ones offered by aftermarket.

I say this because I 100% shared your sentiment until I started going thru this forum and heard from multiple people that road salt and other various road debris was causing their bumpers to rust after a few months of ownership.

Rust can be treated but it’s concerning to spend close to what the mopar one costs and have the finish not successfully stand up to the everyday elements. It’s also telling when the side steps are more durable in finish than the bumpers.

Maybe I’m being irrational but before dropping some coin on an aftermarket bumper, I’ve got to make sure it will last.

Please share your thoughts.
Sponsored