Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi all,

so I work for the Samsung division that makes Harman kardon and JBL speakers for high-end automotive and get giant discounts twice a year (70% off). I thought about taking advantage of this benefit and improving the Audio system in my JL. I have never messed with Audio system in any vehicle so I have no idea where to start. I am not looking to install a subwoofer or anything dramatic, just maybe simply replacing the stock speakers with something that plays music with less distortion at the high volumes. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
The biggest problem you will run into is that the JL does NOT have standard size speakers or mounting patterns. Almost any "standard" car speaker will need modifications or adapters. Its very frustrating.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Swap some JBL GX302 or 328 into your dash. Very easy to do. And the low impedance of the JBL speakers works very well with the stock radio.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Rip and replace it all. I made the mistake of ordering the Alpine system on my JLUR and replaced everything except the 8.4" screen and rear roll bar speakers. New Amps, speakers, subs.

Looking back, I would have gone with the base system and saved $1000.

I have a thread on my build in the Audio Section of this forum and there are a couple others with some amazing results.

Sponsored

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
The stock audio in the Wrangler is beyond bad in my opinion. I recently went down a rabbit hole and spent entirely too much on a full upgrade, with headaches all along the way. The speaker's quality that comes stock is laughable. If we're spending this much on a modern vehicle, do better than this nonsense. Anyways...

Here are a few pics of my upgrades. I had to fully modify my soundbar and also filled it with poly-fil. I used a Dremel tool to cut away the plastic. I actually went back and redid these again with component speakers and made room for a 1" tweeter and Rockford Punch speakers. Also installed a DSR-1 and Rockford amp. Still needs a small sub to round out the sound, but at least I can hear the music somewhat with the top off.

20200514_195204.jpg

20200518_185343.jpg

20200518_190409.jpg

20200518_190045.jpg

20200518_185542.jpg

20200518_185337.jpg

Osan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda CX-5
How did this go? I have a '24 Willy 4xe. Stock sound system is garbage compared to my previous cars that the sound system upgrade came with the trim. I didn't want to drop the 1.5k on the alpine.

I specifically get discounts on harmon\JBL as well so I was curious what you went with.
@entropy

K31ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
I just started on my audio upgrade journey....I didn't think stock was too bad compared to other brands stock (looking at you BMW) . However I just did the easiest change to the front dash speakers and even that made a notable improvement. $50 on kicker 3.5 and 15 mins work ...stage 2 for me needs a bit more motivation to strip the dash and replace the kick panel speakers
Sponsored