Aftermarket Amp (s) Audio Install Wrangler JL

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
@NYknowledge ...or anyone else that might know the answer.
See attached pics from NYknowledge install.
For my install I would like to just add an amp/sub. I will purchase an Audio Control LC2i, and probably the bass knob for it.
It looks like the Axxess kit used, if I use it correctly on my assumptions in the below pics, the factory speaker wires (that are used for the line in on the LOC) will not need to be cut. All I would need to do is match up the left & right speaker colors to this harness and factory colors and run the 4 speaker wires from Axxess harness to the LOC. Is that correct?

Do I even need the Axxess harness? If I just need to splice in 2 wires from the factory wiring, seems a waste of 30 bucks just to avoid that.

If I do need the Axxess or end up getting one...
Would I need to run 4 wires to the LOC if using just 1 mono amp or can I just run 2 (+ & -) wires to the LOC? (I am assuming if I can run just 2 wires, left or right speaker shouldnt matter).

axxess harness 2.jpg
axxess harness 1pdf.jpg
If you're adding just a sub you can splice into the sound bar at the rear pillar. Read through sting_nc_usa's thread.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NYknowledge

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
@NYknowledge ...or anyone else that might know the answer.
See attached pics from NYknowledge install.
For my install I would like to just add an amp/sub. I will purchase an Audio Control LC2i, and probably the bass knob for it.
It looks like the Axxess kit used, if I use it correctly on my assumptions in the below pics, the factory speaker wires (that are used for the line in on the LOC) will not need to be cut. All I would need to do is match up the left & right speaker colors to this harness and factory colors and run the 4 speaker wires from Axxess harness to the LOC. Is that correct?

Do I even need the Axxess harness? If I just need to splice in 2 wires from the factory wiring, seems a waste of 30 bucks just to avoid that.

If I do need the Axxess or end up getting one...
Would I need to run 4 wires to the LOC if using just 1 mono amp or can I just run 2 (+ & -) wires to the LOC? (I am assuming if I can run just 2 wires, left or right speaker shouldnt matter).

axxess harness 2.jpg
axxess harness 1pdf.jpg
You could just cut into the factory harness. It was
My personal preference to spend the xtra money on the harness and retain my factory wires. You will still need both left and right front speaker wires and resistors to setup the lc2i. Yes you are correct that you will not need the wires to the opposite end of the harness. Those are only necessary if you are amplifying in interior speakers

OP
OP
NYknowledge

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
If you're adding just a sub you can splice into the sound bar at the rear pillar. Read through sting_nc_usa's thread.
Yes you could just splice in at the rear pillar for just sub install. But my personal preference was to not splice into and interfere with any of the factory wiring so the process can be reversed without any tampering

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
You could just cut into the factory harness. It was
My personal preference to spend the xtra money on the harness and retain my factory wires. You will still need both left and right front speaker wires and resistors to setup the lc2i. Yes you are correct that you will not need the wires to the opposite end of the harness. Those are only necessary if you are amplifying in interior speakers
Thanks for the response back..
I went ahead and installed the sub/amp/LOC. I did not end up getting the Axxess harness. I just used quick splice connectors to tap into the soundbar speakers. Everything works fine. I shoulda got a bass knob when I ordered everything, but I will order one and install it to the amp. I kept the stock speakers. After reading everything on replacing the stock speakers, I figured I dont wanna go down that route. The extra bass from the sub sounds just fine to me. If it were easier however, I would replace the speakers.

OP
OP
NYknowledge

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
I went ahead and installed the sub/amp/LOC. I did not end up getting the Axxess harness. I just used quick splice connectors to tap into the soundbar speakers. Everything works fine. I shoulda got a bass knob when I ordered everything, but I will order one and install it to the amp. I kept the stock speakers. After reading everything on replacing the stock speakers, I figured I dont wanna go down that route. The extra bass from the sub sounds just fine to me. If it were easier however, I would replace the speakers.
Sounds great. I’m glad you were able to complete your setup successfully. Enjoy the tunes

Sponsored

Jerseyed1975

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor, 2018 JLU Rubicon

Call Jerry at showtime audio and tell ed from NJ with the jl refered you He is going to modify the speaker pods for me to fit a 6.5 and just make some brackets for the tweeters to go into the dash. The speakers pods are like $35 each with the speakers, might be something you would be interested in.... would just be a plug and play with the speakers already installed.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Call Jerry at showtime audio and tell ed from NJ with the jl refered you He is going to modify the speaker pods for me to fit a 6.5 and just make some brackets for the tweeters to go into the dash. The speakers pods are like $35 each with the speakers, might be something you would be interested in.... would just be a plug and play with the speakers already installed.
Probably wont happen. I live in California! Thanks for the referral tho..

Jerseyed1975

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Probably wont happen. I live in California! Thanks for the referral tho..
He will ship them to you!!! Order the pods from one of the sponsors on the site and have them shipped directly to them. Painless process

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So I am installing this later today and wanted some clarity. Did you use resistors when running the speaker wires to the LC2i and did you use + and - from left and right or just one. Just using this to power a single sub. Thanks.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
So I am installing this later today and wanted some clarity. Did you use resistors when running the speaker wires to the LC2i and did you use + and - from left and right or just one. Just using this to power a single sub. Thanks.
I did not use resistors, but theres some story behind this..
I originally used the LC2i. Long story short it stopped working. I couldnt figure out why, everything powered on, amp and converter. but no bass. I went to a local stereo shop and he tested everything and was fine. He finally unplugged the 2 connections from my converter to the older version of the same thing he had and it worked. So mine died a few months after I bought it, which is crappy. It was past the Amazon return window and instead of trying warranty to cover it, I'm probably just gonna eat he 70 bucks. What he ended up doing was just using a cheapo line converter, and hooked it up in a couple minutes and i was on my way. Now I got bass.
I originally went with the LC2i just to have the quality and the adjustments, turns out the quality part screwed me lol. Since its just bass you want you can run the cheapo line converter. Not recommended tho for the other regular speakers as you will probably get that road noise/buzzing thru your regular speakers when using them to get a signal to power those speakers from an amp. I had a 2017 Camaro before this Jeep and that happened to me, even installed at a stereo shop. This isnt the case for bass. i do have a bass knob running to the amp tho to adjust the bass, depending on the music I'm playing.
As for the + & - connections, he used the right positive and right negative. I ran the remote wire directly to the amp also, not to any other outlet on the Jeep. My set up had each unit below each front seat. Amp below driver, LC2i below passenger. Now the converter just sits below the rear passenger floor mat but its up closer to the front passenger and with the seat all the way slid back you cant even see anything. Not the cleanest but fine for now.
Here's the link to what he used:
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-MLOC720

He charged me 30 for that and 25 to initially diagnose my problem. Worth it imo at that point lol. Good luck with your install! Hope it works out for you better than mine did. And I'm not bashing AudioControl as I had a larger unit of theirs before to power regular speakers in a previous vehicle years ago and it worked great.

Sponsored

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Ok, 1 more question.... I wired the LCi2 power to the rear 12v, can I wire the remote to the same power source (positive on the cigarette lighter) or should I power the unit from the battery and use that cigarette source solely as the remote? Thanks and just an FYI this is my 1st sub install. Always paid for this part but thought this would be kinda easy.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Ok, 1 more question.... I wired the LCi2 power to the rear 12v, can I wire the remote to the same power source (positive on the cigarette
Ok, 1 more question.... I wired the LCi2 power to the rear 12v, can I wire the remote to the same power source (positive on the cigarette lighter) or should I power the unit from the battery and use that cigarette source solely as the remote? Thanks and just an FYI this is my 1st sub install. Always paid for this part but thought this would be kinda easy.
I think most people would run the remote to a connection that powers on when the Jeep turns on and main power to the battery. I ran my power to the battery and the remote straight to the amp.

JLsport2019

Can you give me a Link or phone number
for the person (audio shop) who makes the brackets to install 5.14"-6.5" knee kick panel speakers?
I'm going to buy either Morel or Focal component speakers in the front.

After installation, is the speakers in the kick panel still inside that enclosure? Or will the speakers be sticking out? I'm afraid I may run it with my shoes if sticking out of the knee kick panel area.

Thanks

JLsport2019

NYknowledge

What speakers are you using?
Amps..woofers...etc....

OP
OP
NYknowledge

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
NYknowledge

What speakers are you using?
Amps..woofers...etc....
I'm using kicker 43dsc3504 3.5 inch speakers on interior. one 12" skar zvx 12. Orion xtr2500.1dz for Sub. Alpine mrv-f300 4ch amp for interior.
Sponsored