Sponsored

I need ordering help please

noodlemans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camaro
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to buy my first wrangler and I'm so excited but I do have some questions. First off, I never plan on driving over rocks. My offroading will consist of car camping and the beach. And, this will be my daily driver (with kids).

So that being said, I've looked at the options for the sport, s, sahara, and rubicon, and I think I've got a handle on them, but I'm having a hard time determining what the differences are between the models beyond the options listed on the website's build app.

Fundamentally, what separates the models? Is a rubicon overkill for me? Is a sport fundamentally inferior somehow and a hard pass? Etc. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
I have had a ‘14 Sahara (kept stock) since new, but I’m going Rubicon this time to get into rock crawling. I think you should go with what you like, but honestly (my opinion at least) is that the Jeep website is good at showing the differences. For your planned uses they are all very capable, but the deciding factor will be what options you want for the price offered (such as the 8.4” screen is only on the Sahara / Rubicon). We have liked our Sahara and if I didn’t want to go to Moab / like the tougher Rubicon look i would be happy to get on again. Also, if my budget would only allow a base sport, I would also be happy with that as the JLs are all nice and no matter what you are still in a Wrangler.

OP
OP

noodlemans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camaro
I doubt I'll ever go to Moab. I just want to take the doors and top off and have a convertible SUV. My daily routine is driving to and from work with some camping/beach trips thrown in throughout the year. I do live in a state that gets ice/snow so being able to handle that is important. From what I've gathered, all the models would handle that just fine. At this point I have come to the conclusion that it just comes down to how much I'm willing to spend and which options are important to me, but bigger picture I'm wondering if there are fundamental differences between the models I'm not considering.

I did forget to mention though that I am interested in putting larger wheels - like 35's - and a 2" lift kit.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
A Sport is sort of inferior because it doesn't have power locks or windows and had cheaper steel wheels. The Sport S is much better, it has the power windows, locks and upgraded wheels but it lacks stuff the Sahara has (bells and whistles), plus the Sahara has upgraded wheels and badges and things like steps and even upgraded drive tranes. The Sahara is supposed to be the most "street friendly". The Rubicon then goes one step further with larger tires/wheels, lockers, disconnects, badges, hood upgrade, bumpers etc. The Rubicon is basically loaded up.

So, it all comes down to what you want to spend, what you want the Jeep to look like and what options you want. I personally wanted a lot of the visual options the Rubicon has on it stock, plus I wanted the wheel/tire upgrade and a bunch of other standard options the Rubi has on it. I'll probably never do rocks, but still like the lockers and disco should I ever need them. I ordered my Rubicon a few weeks ago and am glad I did. This will be my 2nd Rubi.

Hope that maybe helped?

OP
OP

noodlemans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camaro
I do want to go with bigger wheels and a lift. How would that affect your advice everyone?

Sponsored

Slyderzero1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'54 Chevy PU, '07 HD FLHTCUI, '15 Ram 4x4, '18 Mojito Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I do want to go with bigger wheels and a lift. How would that affect your advice everyone?
Any of the models will handle the 35's with a 2.5 lift. Make sure to have the computer updated for tire size so the shift points (if going auto trans) can operate within adequate ranges.

Like Kadonny said, if creature comforts are your thing, the Sport will be the most basic of all models.

Most Wranglers, even in Sport trim, will never have it's capabilities tested.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Your budget will largely dictate the direction you can take. I ran Daniels at Uwharrie on a stock '05 TJ Sport with 31s and an open diff. Base model Jeeps are very capable. The more options you put on them, the more capable they become. I also ran Daniels at Uwharrie with my '08 JKUR on 35s and 4.88s and it was much easier and less of a nail-biter. I think a well-optioned Sport or even a base Sahara should be enough, and you save some money for camping gear. Be sure to negotiate on pricing. If you're in Greensboro, there are dealers nearby that will do 5% (and sometimes even 6%) below invoice. I'm in Raleigh. PM me if you have more specific questions.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
A Sport is sort of inferior because it doesn't have power locks or windows and had cheaper steel wheels .
Actually , a Sport is Superior because it doesn't have power locks or windows , and has stronger steel wheels . Plus , it's Less Expensive , duh .

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
I ordered the Rubicon because to me, a wrangler has black fenders but I wanted the LED lights. That wasn't available on any other model.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
... I think you should go with what you like, but honestly (my opinion at least) is that the Jeep website is good at showing the differences...
I agree with utilizing the Jeep website and "build" a bunch of different models with different options. After about 3 months of doing so, I knew exactly what I wanted when I decided to order mine last week. (now the wait....)

I wanted a 2 door, so the Sahara was not an option, and for my intended use, I really don't need the capabilities of the Rubicon, so I went with a Sport S. By the time I added A/C to a Sport, the S with it's additional creature comforts was worth it to me.

From what I've read on the forums and my personal experience from years of driving in the winter here in MI, the posi rear end was a must, and that option also adds A/T tires instead of milder all season ones.

The Technology package that upgrades to the larger screen stereo with Android auto which I was going to pass on because it is $1K, but it also upgrades the LCD instrument panel between the speedo & tach, which I liked much better, so I thought why not.

I like the the security, sound, & resale of a hard top, but if you take it off you're leaving it at home. I went with the premium soft top which can rather quickly take down or put up. And from quite a few comments on the forums, the premium soft top is a good deal over the regular top.

The most important choice for me is the 6-speed stick, so the only engine is the V6 gas. I might have went with the 4 turbo, but it's not available with the stick.

And I love the Mojito!.

Sorry for the babbling, but the website did help me decide on what I think I will be happy with.

jlsm.jpg
Sponsored