Sponsored

I can literally see the Milestar Patagonia tires wearing!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Running the 37x12.5x17 tires and I noticed something very disheartening yesterday on a road trip. I know these tires are not known for their long wear, i.e. I'm not going to pull 40k plus miles even on a 5 tire rotation on these things and based on price I was OK with that.
Yesterday we were on a 5 hour road trip with outside temps at 80 degrees. Twice I noticed when we stopped that I could see "rubber dust" for lack of a better term on the tread. I took my finger and rubbed across the tread and sure enough the "dust" came off on my finger. I've got around 4k miles on them and I am getting ready to rotate them. I can also see there is some slight cupping which these are known for. I have NEVER seen a tire "dust" like this and it seems most noticeable in the heat. By the time we got home the temp dropped and I don't see it on the tires now.
This will be my first and last pair of Pats since I am not fond at all of their roundness. Will be cutting the Mrs. Jeep over to the Cooper STT that I run on my Jeep. Love those tires, good wear and nice flat tread.

Anyone else experiencing this on the Pats or any tire for that matter?
Sponsored

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
Running the 37x12.5x17 tires and I noticed something very disheartening yesterday on a road trip. I know these tires are not known for their long wear, i.e. I'm not going to pull 40k plus miles even on a 5 tire rotation on these things and based on price I was OK with that.
Yesterday we were on a 5 hour road trip with outside temps at 80 degrees. Twice I noticed when we stopped that I could see "rubber dust" for lack of a better term on the tread. I took my finger and rubbed across the tread and sure enough the "dust" came off on my finger. I've got around 4k miles on them and I am getting ready to rotate them. I can also see there is some slight cupping which these are known for. I have NEVER seen a tire "dust" like this and it seems most noticeable in the heat. By the time we got home the temp dropped and I don't see it on the tires now.
This will be my first and last pair of Pats since I am not fond at all of their roundness. Will be cutting the Mrs. Jeep over to the Cooper STT that I run on my Jeep. Love those tires, good wear and nice flat tread.

Anyone else experiencing this on the Pats or any tire for that matter?
What do you run your tire pressure at?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Was running them at 24 cold but now more like 26 cold. During the trip they were at 29.
These things are so freaking round that even at 24 cold I'm not 100% contacted.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
If you get them for less than $200 a pop, then that should be your expectation.

If you get them after all the YT influencers hyping up this tire up, that is just unfortunate. The consensus is if you can run them past 25k miles, that is pretty good.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you get them for less than $200 a pop, then that should be your expectation.

If you get them after all the YT influencers hyping up this tire up, that is just unfortunate. The consensus is if you can run them past 25k miles, that is pretty good.
I get that they are not a long wear tire and I knew that going into it but no tire should be expected to dust off like this, I've never seen it before.
And NO I didn't get it because some tool on YT told me to. I was about cost and look and it fit the bill for the Mrs. build at the time.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Was running them at 24 cold but now more like 26 cold. During the trip they were at 29.
so Pat's are crowned tires and as crazy as it sounds you are not supposed to have full width contact patch. You should be running closer to 35 psi which will the stop the cupping which is being caused by running them at too low of pressure.

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw a video can't remember where it was now. But they were saying you cant do the standard chalk test with these. We run ours at 32 cold

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so Pat's are crowned tires and as crazy as it sounds you are not supposed to have full width contact patch. You should be running closer to 35 psi which will the stop the cupping which is being caused by running them at too low of pressure.
Once I got them I realized they were a crowned tire but still figured I could flatten it a little PLUS lower psi would help soften the ride since they are E rated. I did hear that about the cupping and higher psi but no one has talked about the dusting yet. Anyone else encountering this or what could be causing it?

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
i was going to suggest raising the pressure... but yea. you got that already

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Once I got them I realized they were a crowned tire but still figured I could flatten it a little PLUS lower psi would help soften the ride since they are E rated. I did hear that about the cupping and higher psi but no one has talked about the dusting yet. Anyone else encountering this or what could be causing it?
I have not had mine in warmer weather yet to experience dusting. I'm pretty sure that running tires to low in general causes them to heat up more, maybe that is a factor (just thinking out loud)

FYI I am not a pat fan boy. this is my first set and I bought them used. Will very likely get something different when they wear out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had mine in warmer weather yet. I'm pretty sure that running tires to low in general causes them to heat up more, maybe that is a factor (just thinking out loud)
OK, good point. I'll bump up the psi and keep an eye on them.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Supposedly it’s best to run stock psi they say now to be quiet and run on the middle of the tire mostly.

You said STT? Are they the Pro or Maxx? I’m struggling with wanting a tire that will not drive us nuts on the hwy after several hours to even get to a trail. lol

The Pats were on my list but lately I’ve been gravitating to safer bets like the K02, the newly released Toyo OC AT3, ST Maxx, Ridge Grappler, and Duratrac but concerned about the sidewall failures. Trying to get it all but that’s not possible.:headbang:

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly it’s best to run stock psi they say now to be quiet and run on the middle of the tire mostly.

You said STT? Are they the Pro or Maxx? I’m struggling with wanting a tire that will not drive us nuts on the hwy after several hours to even get to a trail. lol

The Pats were on my list but lately I’ve been gravitating to safer bets like the K02, the newly released Toyo OC AT3, ST Maxx, Ridge Grappler, and Duratrac but concerned about the sidewall failures. Trying to get it all but that’s not possible.:headbang:
Running the Cooper STT Pro and I like them. At the end of the day it's a mud tire but cruising at 75 mph isn't bad at all.

@ChattVol in case you are interested in this discussion.

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our 37's our load range D