How to tighten steering.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is not true. Overly dramatic. Do you really believe that FCA will not fix a safety issue under warranty .. a safety recall issue ...because you lifted your Jeep.
I 110% believe, know actually, that if I went to any dealership in this area right now and told them there's something wrong with my steering and I wanted them to look at it, they would immediately say "you've got a lift kit" and wouldn't touch it under warranty. They'd be happy to check it out on my dime, and then send me on my way saying it's normal, however.

Now, if Jeep were to end up issuing a full blown safety recall on steering boxes, for example, and my VIN was included, then I might have a chance at getting it covered since there would be no way to deny that there's an issue that existed in stock configuration.

But just as a concern, no. There's no way they'd touch it with those modifications on it.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is not true. Overly dramatic. Do you really believe that FCA will not fix a safety issue under warranty .. a safety recall issue ...because you lifted your Jeep.
I called two Jeep dealerships out of curiosity on this topic. They said that if the steering box is part of a safety recall, they would replace it as part of the safety recall even if the Jeep had been lifted. However, if someone had a lift installed, and the steering box is bad and NOT part of a safety recall, it is up to the discretion of each dealership on a case-by-case basis and that you might get different answers on the warranty topic depending on the dealership.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I called two Jeep dealerships out of curiosity on this topic. They said that if the steering box is part of a safety recall, they would replace it as part of the safety recall even if the Jeep had been lifted. However, if someone had a lift installed, and the steering box is bad and NOT part of a safety recall, it is up to the discretion of each dealership on a case-by-case basis and that you might get different answers on the warranty topic depending on the dealership.
Geez, l knew this and didn't have to call a dealership. LOL.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Geez, l knew this and didn't have to call a dealership. LOL.
Yes, I assumed before I called, but there are doubters on this forum. So the dealer info should be confirmation for those doubters.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Must have learned it from driving some other vehicle then :cwl:

No one knows issues like someone who has had Land Rovers.
A tired and outdated mindset. Since 2013 Land Rovers have been rock solid. Besides, weather or not the car has problems has nothing to do with the steering of the car.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
A tired and outdated mindset. Since 2013 Land Rovers have been rock solid.
And Land Rover vehicles aren't a tired and outdated mindset? 2013 was almost like yesterday... even if we say they make good quality vehicles now (which they don't) 5 years is not enough LR to gain experience making reliable vehicles. It's just a matter of time for time bombs. They're basically a fashion brand for people with money as much as bad taste.

Besides, weather [sic] or not the car has problems has nothing to do with the steering of the car.
And there you go... There are lots of vehicles out there that handle well but aren't reliable so people might as well get a go kart... at least a go kart you could repair and go on when you need it the most.

Not to mention the lack of safety... good thing LR finally did the right thing by the idiots who buy Defenders by putting them out of their misery.

SJJEEP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just my two cents... I have had a discovery, and two remake rover sports... I’d rather by a Honda CRV, LOL... they are great vehicles I theory, but far fas on bullet proof... or reliable right off the showroom floor... the last on I had was a 2015 sport, then a GL550, not much better, air bags replaced at 35,000 miles, brakes all around at 38,000, valve cover gaskets at 40,000, new rack and pinion at 41,000.... blah blah blah....
You by those things, just open your wallet...
At least with a Jeep you open your wallet for all the toys.....

SJJEEP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Now for what I’ve done to the JLUR regarding steering!
I installed the Rough Country front adjustable track bar, and the EVO rear track bar bracket. Best 300 bucks spent so far...
I have yet to install the isolators for the Mopar lift, I’m assuming they’ll help the springs work a little better, however I can now drive at 80mph, with one hand, on the freeway and not get a workout sawing on the steering wheel!!! My air pressure is at 30psi with the 37” km2’s.
For all of the stock jl’s, not sure what I’d do.... but for all of the lifted ones give it a whirl, made a world of difference!!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
My Rubicon had 45psi in the tires dropped it to 38psi much better.

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
That’s where I am staying! The truck is nite and day better then before and I believe everyone should give it some time before taking extreme measures. Adjusting the steering box can be a real double edge sword and should honestly be done as a last resort by the dealer! We drove home last nite with my wife driving and she could not believe how that steering changed in two days.
ITS NOT A TRUCK!!!!!!! SORRY BUT CMON!

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Today I drove for several miles on a really straight, flat road to see if my steering has improved any with 3000 miles on my JLUS. I was running between 60 and 70 the whole time. What I noticed is that if I hold the Wheel at 12:00 and am going perfectly straight, that I can move the Wheel about 1.5 to 2.0 inches off of center in either right or left direction, and there is no change in my direction. Once I turn farther than that, my Wrangler will move the front wheels. Not sure if this is normal or not. Tires at 35#. Have any of you guys tried this? Very interested. Thanks very much.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Today I drove for several miles on a really straight, flat road to see if my steering has improved any with 3000 miles on my JLUS. I was running between 60 and 70 the whole time. What I noticed is that if I hold the Wheel at 12:00 and am going perfectly straight, that I can move the Wheel about 1.5 to 2.0 inches off of center in either right or left direction, and there is no change in my direction. Once I turn farther than that, my Wrangler will move the front wheels. Not sure if this is normal or not. Tires at 35#. Have any of you guys tried this? Very interested. Thanks very much.
That's what i see too.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
That's what i see too.
Same here. My Wrangler doesn't seem to wander much but the dead space in the wheel is annoying as fuck. Tires at 37# and steering wheel is extended all the way.
Sponsored