Sponsored

How much steering play does your JL have?

How much steering play does your JL have?

• Total voters

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
With so many people suggesting it's normal or a Jeep thing, it's good to see posts from people who have had a lot of Jeeps.
The only way so many people could think that the loose steering issue is normal would be that they have NO experience driving a JL with the problem.
Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Like many here have stated, my steering “feels like a Jeep”. It wanders, it hates wind and it rides nothing like a luxury car. My wife (who has driven my other Jeeps) flat out hated the steering in our 2020 JL. To the point she’d rather move it in the driveway and just take something else.

I read in here that sometimes the steering controller can get “confused” and act like it’s miscalibrated.

The advice to correct was with the ignition off, remove Fuse F34, start the JL, notice no power steering and just wait for all the dash messages to cycle. Turn off the engine, reinsert Fuse F34, start it up and turn the steering wheel stop to stop (full left, full right, return to center). Turn the engine off, restart and take it for a test drive to see if anything improved.

I did everything but the test drive and told my wife I had the ECM recalibrate the steering and to test it for me. Obviously, I have a greater tolerance to wander than her so chances are good I might not notice improvement. She took it to the store, bombed around town doing chores and came home saying I fixed it.

I drove it and it felt like a Jeep to me but she says it now feels like a Jeep, not a 1952 Packard needing an alignment.

If anyone else has done this, I’d be curious to your results.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Like many here have stated, my steering “feels like a Jeep”. It wanders, it hates wind and it rides nothing like a luxury car. My wife (who has driven my other Jeeps) flat out hated the steering in our 2020 JL. To the point she’d rather move it in the driveway and just take something else.

I read in here that sometimes the steering controller can get “confused” and act like it’s miscalibrated.

The advice to correct was with the ignition off, remove Fuse F34, start the JL, notice no power steering and just wait for all the dash messages to cycle. Turn off the engine, reinsert Fuse F34, start it up and turn the steering wheel stop to stop (full left, full right, return to center). Turn the engine off, restart and take it for a test drive to see if anything improved.

I did everything but the test drive and told my wife I had the ECM recalibrate the steering and to test it for me. Obviously, I have a greater tolerance to wander than her so chances are good I might not notice improvement. She took it to the store, bombed around town doing chores and came home saying I fixed it.

I drove it and it felt like a Jeep to me but she says it now feels like a Jeep, not a 1952 Packard needing an alignment.

If anyone else has done this, I’d be curious to your results.
That’s great news. There are a few similar fuse technique success stories in the main steering thread as well. Some said there was no difference but that might because their JL has a bad steering box, loose steering components, alignment, etc.