Sponsored

How much steering play does your JL have?

How much steering play does your JL have?

• Total voters

josh8811

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (soon)
Take what I’ve got to say with a grain of salt. I don’t have a Jeep. Never had a Jeep. Want a Jeep. Test drove a JL today. I’m getting one soon. I even thought about this issue for a moment while I drove a brand new rubicon.

A lot of this issue is tire dependent. I drive a lot for work. Highway, and oil field roads. I’ve had a lot of different tires. I like tires. I’ve learned to appreciate how differently they all behave from not only driving a chevy 2500, but thousands of hours on a dirt bike and mountain bike. Not that any of you would, but if you put some Michelin ATX M&S’s on your Jeep, I bet much of the slop would go away. My favorite compromise of performance on and off-road is a BFG. They wonder more than some, and give more of a sloppy feel. Also the temperature of the tire effects this. A mostly clapped mudder isn’t going to respond well to small steering inputs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Tires are a factor, but a separate one from gently and slowly turning the steering wheel with no change in direction due to lack of transmission of movement of the steering wheel to movement of the steering components after the wheel/column. Reaction time suffering and over correction are a possibility until more familiar with that vehicle’s steering.

Then there is going from a 7” sidewall height to a 10” sidewall height change in sidewall deflection when they steering linkages turn the wheel/tire that new Jeep drivers may have not experienced before.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
When I drove my 2020 Rubicon JL home from the dealer, I laughed as we merrily bounced on down the road and said it drove like a Jeep.

Then I came to the forums and read all the comments on sloppy steering and dead spots and I started getting paranoid. Holy cow, mine likes to wander a touch. Dang straight mine sometimes feels like it’s inconsistent. Yup, it does feel different than my Power Wagon. OMG, did I just read I bought death trap just waiting to happen? Yikes!

With a severe case of paranoia and anxiety, I ran to the Jeep and checked the free play. It was fine. I checked the linkages, mounts, dampener, fasteners and everything else related to steering. Nothing. Not even a poorly bent cotter key. I climbed in it and did a full paranoia test drive just to be sure. Nope, nothing. Mine drives like a Jeep. Sympathy to those experiencing worse.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Video of my steering:
Jl steering https://imgur.com/gallery/4jkP5Uk

If it acted like the video posted on page one I would have never bought a Jeep. I have owned some shitty old cars and none have done that.

I did have to make an adjustment at 2 seconds in on the road due to a slightly windy day here. But other than that its dead solid. Also tested at 80mph on the highway (no video) but same result...no wobble at all. Only notable upgrade is rubicon rims/tires.

Last edited:

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I didn't have a lot of play prior to the v41 recall, but I did have a fair amount of wandering. It was usually ok, but at times it would wander so much I was afraid I was going to get a DUI. After the v41, I didn't realize how much better it was until I had a loaner for a few days. While I liked the Apple CarPlay and automatic windows, I was happy to get my Sport back.
I have since replaced the stock tires with 265/70/17 General ATx 121s E1. That load rating is supposed to be for bigger/heavier trucks and the internet tells me they should ride harsh. Well, it tracks straight and handles great. Maybe I'm just used to it now, but I love the way the Jeep rides.

My future tire will be either the Falken Whitepeaks or any of the General AT . I wonder why you didn't go for the slightly wider 285/70/17 ?

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Video of my steering. If it acted like the video posted on page one I would have never bought a Jeep. I have owned some shitty old cars and none have done that.

I did have to make an adjustment at 2 seconds in on the road due to a slightly windy day here. But other than that its dead solid. Also tested at 80mph on the highway (no video) but same result...no wobble at all. Only notable upgrade is rubicon rims/tires.

Jl steering https://imgur.com/gallery/4jkP5Uk
Yep.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
been in solid front axle vehicles for quite a few years and the JL drives like a dream off the lot. after awhile tho it seemed to just drive like any of my other old trucks. i have since installed the Synergy trac bar bracket reinforcement with a sector shaft stabilizer and WOW what a difference. and i wasn't even complaining about it! best $200 you could spend to make driving a breeze again. it really tightened things up nicely. so good im singing their praises. it'll save a bunch of grief over any of your steering stabilizer issues lol

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm planning on trading my Hard Rock for a JL Diesel, but I was somewhat spooked by this steering issue. So...I tested my JK and, on a straight stretch of road, it has about a 3/4" of play before the wheels turn. I have always (and still do) consider my JK to track very well.

Is it possible that the folks having trouble are coming from traditional cars and have just set their expectations too high. That said, my 3/4" play JK feels great.

I'm beginning to suspect that this whole issue is a nothingburger.

[Then again, I learned to drive in my father's ancient 1963 Ford van - it had about 8" of play in the wheel]

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Driving the past few weeks I’m curious if it is less “play” or dead space and more just loose.

there’s maybe 1-2” of travel at center that are incredibly loose. At highway speed you can still make tiny micro adjustments but it seems almost like the weight of my arm is such that at the center where there is essentially zero resistance it’s hard to keep center when driving one handed hand at 12 as we do.

when I placed no weight on the wheel and had my hands in my lap around 5/7 using my fingertips it seemed much easier to control and only required small adjustments on the straightaway and seemed to track fine.

I’m wondering if the weight of holding onto the wheel causes the wobbling due to it being so loose.

Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
My May 2018 (delivered) JL 2 door still has excessive play and has a new stabilizer and track bar installed by FCA. I generally use the Jeep for short (less than 30 miles trips) and it's tolerable. I recently took it on a 400 mile trip and told my wife I'd probably not do that again. I am constantly aware, on highways especially, that this thing is a handful and frankly not a fun vehicle on trips. What a shame given all its other goodness. Jeep just doesn't really seem interested in explaining why some JL's steer well and others DON'T. To quote our President...Sad.

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Mine is also quite loose. It is OK for driving back and forth to work as I only work about 5 miles away, but taking it on a longer trip (especially on a windy day) it requires constant adjusting in order wander into the next lane. Mine is a 2019 Sahara, and it has the V41 recall done, only about 300 miles on it so far. I tried reducing the wheel pressure to 34 psi, it helped a little, but not enough.
Today I had my daughter move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off while I looked at it from under the vehicle. She started with small back and forth movements and then build up slowly from there. This is what I noticed. First let me state that I am not a mechanic and do not know the correct terminology for all those bars, so I will simply describe them.

There is is clunking sound from the steering box as it rotates back and forth (basically when it changes direction) - not sure this is normal.
The cross bar that goes from the steering box to the right wheel (facing forward) seems to flex a bit.
When the steering wheel movement is very small the right wheel does not move.
As the steering wheel is moved a little more, the right wheel start to move back and forth, but the left wheel stays put (even the bar that goes from the right to the left wheel did not move).
Only after a substantial movement in the steering wheel the left wheel begins to move.

So it seems to me, all these tolerances (or free play) between the steering box and the left wheel (including the flexing of the cross bar (track bar?)) are adding up to create the loose steering issue.

Question; any of the Service Bulletins related to this issue reduce these tolerances

I am planning to take it back to the dealer and see what they say (other than this a Jeep thing).

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Mine is also quite loose. It is OK for driving back and forth to work as I only work about 5 miles away, but taking it on a longer trip (especially on a windy day) it requires constant adjusting in order wander into the next lane. Mine is a 2019 Sahara, and it has the V41 recall done, only about 300 miles on it so far. I tried reducing the wheel pressure to 34 psi, it helped a little, but not enough.
Today I had my daughter move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off while I looked at it from under the vehicle. She started with small back and forth movements and then build up slowly from there. This is what I noticed. First let me state that I am not a mechanic and do not know the correct terminology for all those bars, so I will simply describe them.

There is is clunking sound from the steering box as it rotates back and forth (basically when it changes direction) - not sure this is normal.
The cross bar that goes from the steering box to the right wheel (facing forward) seems to flex a bit.
As the steering wheel is moved a little more, the right wheel start to move back and forth, but the left wheel stays put (even the bar that goes from the right to the left wheel did not move).
Only after a substantial movement in the steering wheel the left wheel begins to move.

So it seems to me, all these tolerances (or free play) between the steering box and the left wheel (including the flexing of the cross bar (track bar?)) are adding up to create the loose steering issue.

Question; any of the Service Bulletins related to this issue reduce these tolerances

I am planning to take it back to the dealer and see what they say (other than this a Jeep thing).
source (1).gif

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, Michael. Our team does recommend moving forward with contacting the dealer regarding this concern. Please keep us updated on their findings and if you need an extra layer of assistance we are a private message away.

Kate
JeepCares
Sponsored