Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Jesus… does it cost that much?
Well, they aren't making them any more...

True Story: A former sheriff buddy of mine got hit at an intersection. The damage to his TJ wasn't too bad; front axle was bent, all the front suspension had to be replaced, a little frame straightening out in front of the axle...

Long story short, the insurance Co. totaled it out, and he bought the wreck from the Insurance Co because he wanted to fix it. By the time the Jeep was fixed, he was out the $12K he netted from the insurance co in addition to $2K of his own money.

Sourcing parts for these old units is unreal because the demand for these old Jeeps is incredible.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Well, they aren't making them any more...

True Story: A former sheriff buddy of mine got hit at an intersection. The damage to his TJ wasn't too bad; front axle was bent, all the front suspension had to be replaced, a little frame straightening out in front of the axle...

Long story short, the insurance Co. totaled it out, and he bought the wreck from the Insurance Co because he wanted to fix it. By the time the Jeep was fixed, he was out the $12K he netted from the insurance co in addition to $2K of his own money.

Sourcing parts for these old units is unreal because the demand for these old Jeeps is incredible.
1. Buy it back for nothing
2. Buy new TJ replacement
3. Part out old TJ
4. Build new TJ
5. ?????
6. Profit

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I only hear they’re unreliable on the internet. Out of the dozens of Wrangler owners I’ve personally met in real life, not one ever had a serious issue worth talking about. The perception of Jeeps online and in my real life are a total 180 from each other.

OP, even the worse vehicles nowadays will last 200,000 miles no problem. I wouldn’t worry about it. Anything past that is arbitrary and depends on owner.
I see a lot of Jeeps with north of 150,000 miles on them. There is a perception that Jeeps are less reliable than a Toyota or Honda, but those Honda's and Toyota's are not being modified heavily and off-roaded on rough trails. I have put 57,000 miles on my 2019 JLUR in 26 months and I have not had a single issue. The damn thing drives fantastic. I just put 35's on it and when I got it aligned it only needed a minor toe adjustment. I plan to put a solid 200,000 miles on it before I even begin to think of what to do with it. I may just convert it to electric at that point, as long as the battery technology has gotten closer to reaching full maturity.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
My '20 JLR has 91,658 Miles on it. Everything works perfectly and always has. The engine is as quiet and smooth as it was when it was new. The performance is better, now that the engine has turned over 180,000,000 revolutions it spins free and revs quick. It has received regular maintenance. All gear case fluids have been changed twice. Oil changes were done when oil life indicator dropped below 30%. All maintenance was done in my shop. I have owned somewhere north of 50 new cars and trucks and this JLR has been one of the few that has had absolutely nothing go wrong requiring dealer service or warranty work with this many miles on it, pretty damned good considering all the electronics and features a fully loaded jlr has. I hope my '21 392 is the same. So far, so good at 4k miles.

The most important factors in vehicle reliability are the driver and maintenance. It is important to understand your vehicle, read the owners manual and....... be the kind of person you would want as a customer when you visit dealers.
Simply taking good care and following the maintenance schedule will increase the life of a vehicle. I also have done all my own maintenance and it is pretty straightforward. I had to see the dealer about the manual transmission recall (add a sleeve over a line) and the steering box TSB and I lucked into getting a great service advisor who wheels with the local Jeep groups. He texts to try to get me to come in for maintenance and I will if there is a big issue, but for regular stuff I will save money, increase my knowledge of the vehicle and know that it was done correctly and with the utmost of care.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
what determines if a jeep is done? rust? If the engine goes i'll put in a new one. Same with the transmission. Anything that breaks is just an excuse to get a better one. I plan to keep my Jeep as long as humanly possible! I still have my 2007 Jeep Patriot for that matter.... although i'm not replacing an engine or transmission on that one.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
1. Buy it back for nothing
2. Buy new TJ replacement
3. Part out old TJ
4. Build new TJ
5. ?????
6. Profit
That's precisely what our friend the former sheriff originally set out to do, except all the TJs for sale in his price range between here and the Mississippi had 259,000 miles on 'em. Even then, he had to have the front axle shipped LTL ($$$) from Fort Worth... All said and done, he did get his Jeep fixed right, but there was no #6 for him.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That's precisely what our friend the former sheriff originally set out to do, except all the TJs for sale in his price range between here and the Mississippi had 259,000 miles on 'em. Even then, he had to have the front axle shipped LTL ($$$) from Fort Worth... All said and done, he did get his Jeep fixed right, but there was no #6 for him.
Damn, that’s a disappointing outcome. That reminds me, I need to have a sit down talk with my insurance company.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Bought my '12 JK 2dr in 2019 with 178K miles on it.
Needed new brakes all around, and a new radio head unit, but I put another 5k miles on it without an issue.
Was supposed to be an extra vehicle to just get in and go.
Ended up loving it so much, we eventually got a JLUR.
Jeep Wrangler JL How long do Jeeps usually last? IMG_4305

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Sport and was wondering how long these vehicles generally last? I've put about 15,000 miles on it so far (I've done 3 long road trips so far). I'm being sent to Chicago for 4 weeks and was considering driving from San Diego (2,000 miles) there and then back (4,000 total miles) so that I'd be able to get around easier for those 4 weeks, but I was afraid of putting too many miles on the Jeep. I know people say Jeeps, especially Wranglers are super reliable and hold well longer than other vehicles. But does anyone have a ballpark of how many miles to expect to get out of their Wrangler? I do my best to keep it maintained well and change the fluids at the designated times/intervals. This is my first vehicle other than a 1998 Civic that I'd bought used in high school that had 150k on it but was in pretty bad shape. Thanks in advance!
I've got a 2008 JK in perfect shape with 157,000 miles on it. It has no rust and has been put through the ringer off-road from Moab to Virginia and everywhere in between. It's been through 13 or so Indiana winters, too. I put Mobil 1 in it and do all the other maintenance by the book and keep it snug in a warm garage every night. She'll easily get to 20 years old. I think the engine will go 300k miles. We're getting ready to take it on a big overlanding trip to the northeast in three weeks with my son piloting it. Here it is a couple weeks ago alongside my JL at Turkey Bay ORV area.

uGvtxZa.jpg

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Jesus… does it cost that much?
no, not even close to the value of the vehicle.

We maintain several RHD Jeeps for rural mail carriers that have 250k+ miles of serious abuse behind them. The biggest repairs, other than transmissions, are always front end rebuilds. Axle joints, ball joints, tie rods, they just fall off left and right.

Deleted member 59498

Bought my '12 JK 2dr in 2019 with 178K miles on it.
Needed new brakes all around, and a new radio head unit, but I put another 5k miles on it without an issue.
Was supposed to be an extra vehicle to just get in and go.
Ended up loving it so much, we eventually got a JLUR.
Jeep Wrangler JL How long do Jeeps usually last? uGvtxZa
Nice looking JK with that many miles. Looks fun :)

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
I have a 2012 -3.6l Rubicon with 185000 KM or 114,000 miles.
The engine and tranny are amazing. No problems.
I have replaced the radiator, water pump, battery, starter, brakes, tires.
This would be normal on any car.

Jeeps are dependable.

The problem with jeeps are that we just do not like them, we love them!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have a 2012 -3.6l Rubicon with 185000 KM or 114,000 miles.
The engine and tranny are amazing. No problems.
I have replaced the radiator, water pump, battery, starter, brakes, tires.
This would be normal on any car.

Jeeps are dependable.

The problem with jeeps are that we just do not like them, we love them!
that’s actually a lot of repairs for a 9 year old vehicle. Starter, radiator, and water pump all going out, and only 114k? Ouch.
Sponsored