Sponsored

How Does this Get Through Quality Control?

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
Bought a first-year (very late build) WK2 Summit Hemi in 2011. Car was close to flawless. Traded it for a '15i Escalade which was bought back and replaced with a '16 Escalade which was bought back for cash. Both trucks..total garbage. Forums were full of problems, but I thought it couldn't happen to me....Lesson learned. I am going to let them get a few JL's under their belt before ordering....
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
With all the flaws the JK had the first couple of years, I never had any issues when it came to actual wheeling. I beat the absolute shit out of my '07 Sahara and it took it like a champ. Most of the issues I had were outside of its off-road capabilities, like window switches not working, the leaky soft top, and the infamous static electricity WCM freak-out. Ah, the memories of having to unplug your battery and wait for the computer to reset because you shocked the Jeep dead by climbing into it. And the TOB problem that still plagues the JK today wasn't due to wheeling, but it was an issue that made me switch to an automatic. As antiquated as the WA580 is, it's still a fantastic transmission and probably the most reliable thing they ever put in a JK.

That being said, if Jeep has truly put the time and energy that they appear to have into making a quality, reliable, and functional technology package while keeping the mechanicals relatively the same, the JL might actually have a smooth launch. There were a lot of "WTF did they do that for?" elements of the JK when it first came out, but in examining the JL's improvements to the axles and the geometry changes of the suspension, everything makes sense. Longevity is gonna be the big question, but Jeep definitely addressed many of the JK's flaws without sacrificing what makes a Wrangler a Wrangler.

And in test driving the JL, they've improved just about everything as far as on-road feel, but it is not the phenomenal night-and-day change Jeep claims it is. As such, I was kind of surprised how much it still feels and drives like a JK, but that is not a bad thing at all.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
With all the flaws the JK had the first couple of years, I never had any issues when it came to actual wheeling. I beat the absolute shit out of my '07 Sahara and it took it like a champ. Most of the issues I had were outside of its off-road capabilities, like window switches not working, the leaky soft top, and the infamous static electricity WCM freak-out. Ah, the memories of having to unplug your battery and wait for the computer to reset because you shocked the Jeep dead by climbing into it. And the TOB problem that still plagues the JK today wasn't due to wheeling, but it was an issue that made me switch to an automatic. As antiquated as the WA580 is, it's still a fantastic transmission and probably the most reliable thing they ever put in a JK.

That being said, if Jeep has truly put the time and energy that they appear to have into making a quality, reliable, and functional technology package while keeping the mechanicals relatively the same, the JL might actually have a smooth launch. There were a lot of "WTF did they do that for?" elements of the JK when it first came out, but in examining the JL's improvements to the axles and the geometry changes of the suspension, everything makes sense. Longevity is gonna be the big question, but Jeep definitely addressed many of the JK's flaws without sacrificing what makes a Wrangler a Wrangler.

And in test driving the JL, they've improved just about everything as far as on-road feel, but it is not the phenomenal night-and-day change Jeep claims it is. As such, I was kind of surprised how much it still feels and drives like a JK, but that is not a bad thing at all.
Yeah, I have beat the crap out of my 08 and with exception of normal wear and tear stuff any car goes thru I have not had any problems. Yeah the soft top leaked a bit...but so did every other wrangler I had before..and it likes to suck up oil.

The only worrisome issue I am having now is that the dreaded death wobble has starting happening often so not sure what is up with that.. I have checked the usual culprits and replaced a few warn parts but still getting it. Just gonna have to live with it until I can get the JL...shops around here want too much $$$ to diagnose.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Here are blowups of both fenders. It sure looks like the wrong black fender was fitted at the factory.

IMG_0015-crop.jpg

IMG_0017-crop.jpg
It’s the old saying, hope that your Jeep isn’t built on a Monday or Friday! Looks like Your was built on a Friday.... easy fix thought..

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
What's the "death wobble"? Sounds bad.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

What about the front axle disconnect system? That's new to the Wranger since the vacuum module in the YJ.

I imagine it's maybe the same system used in the RAM trucks so hopefully it's tried and true?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What about the front axle disconnect system? That's new to the Wranger since the vacuum module in the YJ.

I imagine it's maybe the same system used in the RAM trucks so hopefully it's tried and true?
They've said it is just like the ram.

Sponsored

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Way too early to determine anything at this point...give things 6-18 months....

Jesscott2

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Jeep Wrangler JL How Does this Get Through Quality Control? {filename}
Jeep Wrangler JL How Does this Get Through Quality Control? {filename}
Mine arrived with a horrific wind noise, quality control is still lacking.
My 2019 jl has a number of issues I have had it 4 weeks 2 of the 4 still in dealership service here are sum pics

Jesscott2

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Thats my dash when i was driving it have video but couldnt put it on site Also has jeep wobble Dealership replace dampiner I think I bought a bad Jl pushing for full replace Wish me luck
Sponsored