Sponsored

How did you decide on your engine?

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Mine was largely a process of elimination.

Couldn't afford the 392.

Didn't need a diesel.

4xe was a bad fit with my use case (not much city driving).

That left the 2.0 and the 3.6. Lots to love about the 2.0, but it is currently saddled with ESS, which I did not want. That left the 3.6 eTorque. I'm impressed with what I've read about the eTorque system, and I've owned two Pentastars previously. Made a good fit for what I wanted.
Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
reliability of the 3.6L, plus, with no engine, I'd see me needing a new pair of sneakers far more frequently than I had budgeted:

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? 1628357704396

Wait, was the OP interest in what engine I choose or if whether I'd equip my JL with a non manual propulsion mechanism of some sort?;)

Last edited:

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
My build will include the Super Delux King Mambo Hercules Rubicon option, so I wont have a choice: 3.6 with E Torque.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Easy for me, 2012 JKU 3.6, 2016 Jk Willys with the 3.6, and my 2021 JL Willys with the e torque and 8 speed auto was my choice when I ordered it in October last year.. The 3.6 treated me fine for all 3 Wranglers, especially my 2021 with the 8 speed auto. Sweet!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anything specific you do for maintaining them?
From new, my 2.0T has been fed 91+ octane exclusively. I'm careful to use API SP/GF-6 oil as prescribed in the Owner's Manual, too. I also DIY my oil changes with ~20% oil life remaining (personal preference), and monitor things via oil sample analysis from Blackstone. Their reports mention an average TBN of 2.x, which is the cushion I expect to see.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I fully agree with your comment about the programmed delay in throttle response.

My previous vehicle had a 1.6 i4 turbo motor, which had a noticeable lag. The rpm's responded near instantly to throttle input, but boost took a second or so to kick in and push. It made me wait for larger gaps in cross traffic, to avoid being a dick to other drivers. The JL 2.0 in stock form has a similar delay, but it's in the rpm's reaction more than the turbo.

I added the EVC iDrive throttle controller, and it's a whole new animal. The delay between the throttle pedal and throttle body butterfly valve is completely gone, and there's a couple dozen levels of sensitivity adjustments to choose from that narrows the length of throw to get to wide open throttle. It's funny that I can now shoot gaps in traffic easier, without being that guy, with a 5500lb JLUR lifted 4" and on 38's than I could with a sportier 3100lb torque vectoring awd crossover.

Where did you get that transfer case knob? That thing looks great.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Simple decision for me since I usually plan to keep my vehicles for 10 years or more and drive them over 100k miles.

The proven 3.6.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
That's quite a blanket statement, and a dangerous one at that, especially without technical specifics. A handful of us have heavy mechanical backgrounds and can keep up, so please elaborate deeply.
What are you talking about.
make Sure you have oil. Because turbo vehicles
Generally use and burn more oil than non turbo vehicles but are generally given then same amount of oil as non turbo engines.
a catch can which you should know with your
Extensive mechanical background prevents blow by which prevents contaminate build up. But you already knew that. Also you gotta make sure you empty it when you do your oil changes.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What are you talking about.
make Sure you have oil. Because turbo vehicles
Generally use and burn more oil than non turbo vehicles but are generally given then same amount of oil as non turbo engines.
a catch can which you should know with your
Extensive mechanical background prevents blow by which prevents contaminate build up. But you already knew that. Also you gotta make sure you empty it when you do your oil changes.
You just made it abundantly clear that you have a whole lot more reading to do. Stop giving advice that your lacking the knowledge to give.

Catch cans prevent blow-by? Explain in detail how.

Turbos are the cause of excessive oil consumption? Explain in detail.
Sponsored