How did you decide on your engine?

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
My Porsche 911 3.8 L 400bhp. Jeep 3.6 maybe 200. My mini cooper 1.6L 225 bhp.
Face it it’s a Crysler the same company that brought you the dodge neon. Maybe to you a dodge neon is equivalent to a Lamborghini but to the real car enthusiast it’s a pos Crysler.
Admit it you owned a dodge neon and you tried to soop it up with Walmart accessories?
I owned a "sooped" up dodge neon. It had 300hp to the wheels, got over 30mpg and I ran it to 225k miles before I sold it. It was a great car.

It was more fun to drive than my 911 :-p
Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
And it has traditional fuel injection that keeps the valves clean. No brainer for me.
This!!! Port injection was key for me, as Direct Injection engines have expensive long term maintenance and repair costs (carbon cleaning, etc..). The newer 3.6’s have higher compression ratios so spray colder burning fuel in it and get it on a dyno….they make good powa’!!!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
It was a simple process for me to pick an engine.

I drove V-6 powered units (with both available transmissions) and the I-4 turbo with the 8 spd. I just liked turbo better and definitely preferred the 8 spd over the V-6 with either transmission. The forced induction comes in handy when I have to cross over the mountain ranges on all sides of my location.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
I owned a "sooped" up dodge neon. It had 300hp to the wheels, got over 30mpg and I ran it to 225k miles before I sold it. It was a great car.

It was more fun to drive than my 911 :-p
I believe you on the fun factor. Price does not equal more fun

Marn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We previously owned a 3.6 in my wife's challenger. 90k miles without any problems. Only other option for the JL was the little turbo thing with the hybrid assist and all the associated stuff that went with that. I wasn't about to buy a drivetrain that was a combination of the first year, a hybrid, and a turbo.

My wife loved driving the little tubo, but I decided on getting the least powerful, lest efficient option. The electronics and systems in these jeeps already scare me, so all the EXTRA brand new more complicated stuff made it even more uncomfortable.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
seems like you are the only one here who knows nothing about anything. The 4 cyl turbo is a lot more complex engine than the v6 it's a turbo charged direct injection engine which is newer tech than the v6. I think you should stop posting negative useless comments and insulting people randomly because you are so knowledgeable and the rest are just a stupid herd who know nothing according to you. you basically typed three paragraphs and not one line had an actual fact in it.
Everyone else here, stop feeding the troll…

Z06

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JLU diesel
Occupation
Retired
I bought my Wrangler with intent to tow a Side x Side. I had tried to tow it with a Renegade trail hawk and the 1.3 turbo. 8 mpg and many 30 mph hills later I determined to upgrade. The diesel Wrangler I bought was at the time $8000 cheaper than any Wrangler on the lot (15 or more) and 450 or so ft lbs of torque was an inviting number. I now tow that same load at 16-18 mpg, never miss a beat on hills and combined trail, town and highway miles averaged 26 mpg this last tank.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
You are critical of the lack of power your Rubicon has but you don't know the actual hp? The 3.6 has 285 horsepower not 200. 285hp is plenty for daily driving and on highways. It might be the gearing of the manual being a poor match to the 3.6 engine if what you are experiencing is real. I have no idea because it's been awhile since I have driven a manual JL. I do not remember it being so bad? I will say the ZF 8-speed automatic is a much better match. Plenty of power on the highway or anywhere else with both the 2.0T and 3.6.

Honestly part of me thinks you are a kid or troll. There are other ways to get attention. I mean why sign on to a FCA Jeep forum just to rag on the products? You don't like it? Don't buy it or sell it and move along. Resale values of used Wranglers is through the roof. You might even make a few bucks. That's if you actually own one.

BTW it is spelled Chrysler not Crysler. I am also not sure of what you mean when you reference the Big Box store? Maybe you mean souped-up?
All i did was state that my wrangler lacks power on the highway i attacked no one insulted no one. Two people reply first that im on drugs the second replied that I am basically a joke? I’m the kid? Seems like this forum is full of intolerant pricks.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
Everyone else here, stop feeding the troll…
I’ve been in almost every car club and forum for every car that I have ever owned. I have to say that jeep owners have been the rudest trashiest intolerant crowd that I have met. I hope i find at least one person who is a good ambassador to this brand. So far it’s been pretty disappointing. I’m allowed to have an opinion about a product. It almost feels like Jeep pays a bunch of kids to troll everyone who has a critical thing to say.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I’ve been in almost every car club and forum for every car that I have ever owned. I have to say that jeep owners have been the rudest trashiest intolerant crowd that I have met. I hope i find at least one person who is a good ambassador to this brand. So far it’s been pretty disappointing. I’m allowed to have an opinion about a product. It almost feels like Jeep pays a bunch of kids to troll everyone who has a critical thing to say.
You’re right. I’m sorry.

Sponsored

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Build up can also be kept at bay with the 'Italian tune-up,' essentially hard driving at 3000+ rpm for 30 minutes will burn it off. Audi has a patent for this method.
[/QUOTE]

I am curious about your last sentence. I know there is no patent, but are Audi drivers encouraged to “blow it out”? I have driven in Europe a fair amount and have always wondered why Audi’s are always blowing by MB and BMW’s and everyone else.

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
Pretty easy for me to decide on the 3.6L V6. No diesel that is high maintenance, no turbo, no electric hybrid and pricing that makes sense. The 3.6 liter V6 engine is happy to use regular gas and less complicated with a proven track record.

These are still Jeeps and they handle like a brick on wheels and will prove it to you if you drive fast in them.
Proven in the Dodge Caravan lol

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
I wanted an unnecessary amount of torque at a low RPM.

Diesel - ✔

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
All i did was state that my wrangler lacks power on the highway i attacked no one insulted no one. Two people reply first that im on drugs the second replied that I am basically a joke? I’m the kid? Seems like this forum is full of intolerant pricks.
The majority of members are respectful and considerate. Most members add value to the forum. You will find the forum is "full" of valuable insight and information about the JL. Calling people "pricks" is not helping your case. If anything it will possibly get you banned.
Sponsored

Last edited: