How did you decide on your engine?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If by some lucky chance, in 2022, I find a used 392 at a reasonable price I might grab one.
See kids.....don't do drugs.

:)
Sponsored

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I keep reading claim after claim about the "complexity" of an inline motor vs a v-block, and the same about a turbocharger. Anyone care to elaborate?
A lot of people have no clue what they are talking about. Apples to apples, an inline engine is simpler and more reliable than a v-engine. Only one cylinder head gasket, half the number of cams, timing chains, chain tensioners, etc. Some of the most reliable engines in history have been inline 6's, which also have the advantage of being inherently balanced.

Most of their "knowledge" comes from some particular engine which may have a bad history, and then they extrapolate that to infer that the basic engine architecture is a bad one.

Now if we are talking I-4 vs. V-6 then the 4 cylinder motor is still mechanically the simplest but it's no longer inherently balanced and there have been a lot of crappy I-4s throughout the years (often because they are the "base" engine and thus are strived to be made at the lowest cost). But done right, they are solid.

Turbochargers do have a bad history in gas applications, but these days I wouldn't be too concerned. Turbocharging technology has come a long way. But I'd definitely research the particular engine and turbo in question.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
2.0 - More complex engine, is 4 banger, should use premium fuel
3.6 - proven, past experience, regular gas and go
3.0 - cost, diesal cost, oil change cost, def cost, regen, etc
4xe - limited electric range, 1st gen
392 - cost

If by some lucky chance, in 2022, I find a used 392 at a reasonable price I might grab one.

If Jeep releases certain colours in 2022 model year, Iā€™ll order one with the 3.6 eTorque. Will be trading in my 2019 with 3.6 ESS.

Supposedly a new inline six is in the works. An engine that will replace a number of current engines in multiple vehicles. Not holding my breath though.

I could get excited about Hybrd but donā€™t think Iā€™ll get on that bandwagon until the JL replacement in 2028.
I don't know if this used car shortage is going away by next year? I don't think the chances are very good for finding any of the engine choices for a reasonable price the way the used car market is. Let alone the 392 Hemi. The Hemi is probably going to be the most coveted engine ever for the Wrangler. Used prices for them will probably hold pretty good. For a long time. Especially if the trend is to go to electric.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6l *and* the shit geared manual, AND stock gears, AND I'm on 37'' ridge grappler tires now. I'm above 10k ft just about every weekend finding some fishing spot or another. I'm regularly spinning the little 3.6 at 4k rpm for extended periods lol. Hopefully it holds up! šŸ¤£
Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? unnamed

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I love how this old saying keeps coming up. What's the displacement on a Tesla, in particular the upcoming Model S Plaid that hits 0-60 in under 2.0 seconds?
In your response to "No replacement for displacement",
Tesla engineering is able to better displace electrons to the motors via better battery tech and motor efficiency. So in a sense, even with electric vehicles, there is no replacement for displacement. :)

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Several posts in this thread make assumptions with regard to the 4Xe that aren't quite right.
For exmple (paraphrasing here) Once the batteries are depleted they provide no benefit. Wrong. The 4Xe is a hybrid vehicle. You never have to plug it in if you don't want to. It captures energy when braking or coasting. When the display shows <1% it really has a reserve of 15%. This adds torque and HP when you "step on it". I suppose if you live in Colorado and are working the 2.0L engine really hard going up mountain passes, then maybe you will completely deplete the battery, but I haven't read about that case yet on these forums. I'm not saying it isn't possible. In "normal" use, where most of us are driving on realatively flat roads, the 4Xe should be 2nd only to the 392 with regard to get-up-and-go. I like, no, make that LOVE, get-up-and-go! :devil:

There are only two engine options I would consider, the 392 and the 4Xe. Why? 3 reasons: HP and torque, HP and torque, HP and torque. The 392 is #1 and the 4Xe is close behind.

Fuel economy: Who buys a Jeep for fuel economy? If you want fuel economy there are better choices than a Jeep, but they aren't Jeeps. :).

Cost: The 4Xe is a much better option. The 4Xe has a $7500 federal tax credit (I've read that the credit may go up to $12,500). So factor that into your purchase price. Note: you do need to have a annual Federal tax liability of those amounts to take full advantage of the credit. Also some states also have credits/rebates for the 4Xe, making it an even better "deal". Compare the 4Xe to an equivalent 2.0 or V6 model, after rebates you may be better off, price-wise with the 4Xe.

Why I would buy the 392 over the 4Xe? The 392 is proven tech, (like the V6). The 4Xe, like so many other electric vehicles, is still "new" tech. At this point in time, I think of electric vehicles like I thought of personal computers in the 90's and early 2000's: Wait 6 months and the tech will be significantly improved.

Why I would buy the 4Xe over the 392: Lower up-front cost (significantly lower), and better mileage with near equivalent HP and torque. I know I said I don't buy Jeeps for fuel economy, but I don't throw away money for no good reason either. Is the 392 "good reason?" :)

YMMV :)

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Pretty easy for me to decide on the 3.6L V6. No diesel that is high maintenance, no turbo, no electric hybrid and pricing that makes sense. The 3.6 liter V6 engine is happy to use regular gas and less complicated with a proven track record.

These are still Jeeps and they handle like a brick on wheels and will prove it to you if you drive fast in them.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

But hey, the day's just getting started.
You obviously have never driven a stock jl rubicon. Yet you think this is dumb. Itā€™s dumb to be ignorant.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
See kids.....don't do drugs
My Porsche 911 3.8 L 400bhp. Jeep 3.6 maybe 200. My mini cooper 1.6L 225 bhp.
Face it itā€™s a Crysler the same company that brought you the dodge neon. Maybe to you a dodge neon is equivalent to a Lamborghini but to the real car enthusiast itā€™s a pos Crysler.
Admit it you owned a dodge neon and you tried to soop it up with Walmart accessories?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
range, abundant torque at all speeds/RPMs/altitude, and the possibility of being able to use something other than petroleum-based fuel made the turbodiesel my choice.

but frankly, just driving one with that excellent 8-spd tranny made it a done deal for me. if i had a shorter commute, it might not have been my first choice as i don't like to start a diesel up for a short drive.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Porsche 911 3.8 L 400bhp. Jeep 3.6 maybe 200. My mini cooper 1.6L 225 bhp.
Face it itā€™s a Crysler the same company that brought you the dodge neon. Maybe to you a dodge neon is equivalent to a Lamborghini but to the real car enthusiast itā€™s a pos Crysler.
Admit it you owned a dodge neon and you tried to soop it up with Walmart accessories?
You are critical of the lack of power your Rubicon has but you don't know the actual hp? The 3.6 has 285 horsepower not 200. 285hp is plenty for daily driving and on highways. It might be the gearing of the manual being a poor match to the 3.6 engine if what you are experiencing is real. I have no idea because it's been awhile since I have driven a manual JL. I do not remember it being so bad? I will say the ZF 8-speed automatic is a much better match. Plenty of power on the highway or anywhere else with both the 2.0T and 3.6.

Honestly part of me thinks you are a kid or troll. There are other ways to get attention. I mean why sign on to a FCA Jeep forum just to rag on the products? You don't like it? Don't buy it or sell it and move along. Resale values of used Wranglers are through the roof. You might even make a few bucks. That's if you actually own one.

BTW it is spelled Chrysler not Crysler. I am also not sure of what you mean when you reference the Big Box store? Maybe you mean souped-up?

Last edited:

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
The 3.6 is a weak engine. The gears on my rubicon strugle to keep it at 100 on the highway i need to go to 4th sometime in my manual 6spd to keep it at 100kmph. If you go for that make sure you change the gears otherwise enjoy driving 40mph.
You obviously have never driven a stock jl rubicon. Yet you think this is dumb. Itā€™s dumb to be ignorant.
Unless it's the magic of my Rugged Ridge floor mats, I have no problem doing 100 kph on the highway in my stock JL Rubicon.

I'm going to add this to the list of things you were wrong about. What was that about being ignorant?

In my day, Trolling was a skill and people actually put in some effort. This is weaksauce, kid.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
My decision to go with the non eTorque 3.6 Pentastar engine was very easy - It is the only engine available in the JL in South Africa šŸ˜

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
You are critical of the lack of power your Rubicon has but you don't know the actual hp? The 3.6 has 285 horsepower not 200. 285hp is plenty for daily driving and on highways. It might be the gearing of the manual being a poor match to the 3.6 engine if what you are experiencing is real. I have no idea because it's been awhile since I have driven a manual JL. I do not remember it being so bad? I will say the ZF 8-speed automatic is a much better match. Plenty of power on the highway or anywhere else with both the 2.0T and 3.6.

Honestly part of me thinks you are a kid or troll. There are other ways to get attention. I mean why sign on to a FCA Jeep forum just to rag on the products? You don't like it? Don't buy it or sell it and move along. Resale values of used Wranglers is through the roof. You might even make a few bucks. That's if you actually own one.

BTW it is spelled Chrysler not Crysler. I am also not sure of what you mean when you reference the Big Box store? Maybe you mean souped-up?
The 3.6 has a distinct lack of low end torque. That is very noticeable with tall (low numerical) gears with a manual. Going to shorter gears makes a big difference. I went from 3.21s with 32s to 4.56 with 35s in my manual JK. It made a huge difference. Even so, I wish I would have gone with 4.88s

The torque converter in the automatic lets the engine rev up and get into the torque range and that makes a huge difference.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.6 has a distinct lack of low end torque. That is very noticeable with tall (low numerical) gears with a manual. Going to shorter gears makes a big difference. I went from 3.21s with 32s to 4.56 with 35s in my manual JK. It made a huge difference. Even so, I wish I would have gone with 4.88s

The torque converter in the automatic lets the engine rev up and get into the torque range and that makes a huge difference.
The ZF 8-speed is one of the best torque converter automatic transmissions I have ever tried.
Sponsored