Sponsored

Hot weather

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I drove across FL twice in the last few weeks. The day trips were during about 90F temps. The engine was very sluggish around 70mph. 6th gear was almost unusable. I have a 6mt on a Sport. I do run 33.25” tires.

Driving back at night the temps were in the high 70s (about a 12 degree difference). The engine felt strong and seemed like it wanted to go faster.

I noticed the oil temps were about 10 degrees higher during the daytime legs.

Is this performance typical for that temperature difference? Is this the result of some torque reduction when the engine oil gets too warm in order to reduce the risk of fire on the 6mt?

Thanks.

p.s. I had the top down so I wasn’t even running the AC. I did have the top up at night but I doubt if it makes that much of an aerodynamic difference.
Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I drove across FL twice in the last few weeks. The day trips were during about 90F temps. The engine was very sluggish around 70mph. 6th gear was almost unusable. I have a 6mt on a Sport. I do run 33.25” tires.

Driving back at night the temps were in the high 70s (about a 12 degree difference). The engine felt strong and seemed like it wanted to go faster.

Is this performance typical for that temperature difference? Is this the result of some torque reduction when the engine oil gets too warm in order to reduce the risk of fire on the 6mt?

Thanks.

p.s. I had the top down so I wasn’t even running the AC. I did have the top up at night but I doubt if it makes that much of an aerodynamic difference.
Thats kinda typical here. When its hot and muggy, the engine runs more sluggish and when dry and cold, u get more power. The heat down here in south Florida along with 100% humidity is unbearable!!

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats kinda typical here. When its hot and muggy, the engine runs more sluggish and when dry and cold, u get more power. The heat down here in south Florida along with 100% humidity is unbearable!!
Thanks, I figured it was an induction efficiency effect but was just wondering if it was some sort of “feature” given the clutch heat issues. I was also a little surprised at the 12 degree temperature difference being so noticeable but the humidity also made a big difference I’m sure.

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door

Thanks.

Top up and top down makes a 3 to 4 mpg difference on my m/t sport on the highway.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top up and top down makes a 3 to 4 mpg difference on my m/t sport on the highway.
Thank you. The next time I’m driving in those types of conditions I’ll pull over and put the top up to see if I notice the difference.
Sponsored