Engine bay really hot

damageinc321

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I've noticed my engine bay seems really hot, I was installing Voswitch and aux lights and when I was checking on my wiring later it seemed hot enough to almost melt plastic conduit. My temps as far as coolent, engine oil, and trans seen normal but the engine bay seems really hot and I'm talking about 75° temps outside and normal driving conditions. Also I my fan kicks in like a jet engine whenever I turn on ac and fan speed above 3. Anyone else have this?
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Unless plastic is actively melting, it’s pretty normal. Keep in mind the operating temperature is about 200f

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Yep, normal. If one puts there hand on the alternator, it will definitely burn your hand. Here in AZ. When I pull back into our garage in the Summer, I always open the hood to allow it to cool off.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
These tiny wrangler radiators are comical. Someone should build plate style radiator at a decent price. The radiator is 23x19x 1 3/4 on the diesel not much room for anything bigger, my 2018 4Runner with less power and weight has a 27x24x2.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
95 degrees here now, I open the hood when I get home in the garage to vent the heat. My old TJ was black and the heat caused the paint to checker. Not going down that road again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
These tiny wrangler radiators are comical. Someone should build plate style radiator at a decent price. The radiator is 23x19x 1 3/4 on the diesel not much room for anything bigger, my 2018 4Runner with less power and weight has a 27x24x2.
It is sized exactly for it’s intended purpose. The old school idea of operating temps under 180 are outdated.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
It’s sized for the minimum amount of reliability no room for, dirt, reduced air flow, heavy load. The thermostat controls the engine temperatures the radiators ability to cool is dependent on the surface area. You could run a 20x20 foot radiator and the thermostat would close until the engine temperature goes to 220-230 and open (the radiator that large would cool it almost instantly) then the thermostat would close off again allowing the engine temp to rise.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Wrangler engine cooling, has always suffered because of lack of radiator frontal area. Yes, these engines today are engineered to run at higher temps for emissions, and better fuel economy. But because the frontal area is limited, it does make it more difficult to cool. Just take a look at the Gladiator, the factory had a very hard time certifying 7500 lbs towing capacity, for certain Gladiators models with the towing package. They changed the grill and inserts, radiator fin design, plus fan blade pitch and speed with a large 850 watt cooling fan motor, and a higher out put alternator. So they did all that they could do to improve engine cooling, with a limited frontal square inch size.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not running front fender liners and it's kind of wild how much heat radiates past the wheels from the engine bay. It feels like I'm walking through a heater if I walk by my front wheels after driving.

When I first got the Jeep in 2018, I guess before some ECM update the radiator fans would turn on FULL BLAST, the Jeep was so loud. I haven't noticed that in a long time, so I'm assuming an update changed it.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
I'm not running front fender liners and it's kind of wild how much heat radiates past the wheels from the engine bay. It feels like I'm walking through a heater if I walk by my front wheels after driving.

When I first got the Jeep in 2018, I guess before some ECM update the radiator fans would turn on FULL BLAST, the Jeep was so loud. I haven't noticed that in a long time, so I'm assuming an update changed it.
Very smart move for engine cooling. That will definitely help CFM air flow, through the radiator. Because that has helped to create a additional low pressure zone Venturi effect, for the engine cooling fan to move the air flow through at a faster pace. I trimmed my front inner fenders, about 3” cut and removed from the bottom front to shock area. This made a major difference living in Arizona. Some don’t understand that it is so important to not block air going into the radiator, but it also has to be able to exit the radiator for Efficient cooling.

Last edited:

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Very smart move for engine cooling. That will definitely help CFM air flow, through the radiator. Because that has helped to create a additional low pressure zone Venturi effect, for the engine cooling fan to move the air flow through at a faster pace. I trimmed my front inner fenders, about 3” cut and removed from the bottom front to shock area. This made a major difference living in Arizona. Some don’t understand that it is so important to not block air going into the radiator, but it also has to be able to exit the radiator for Effie vent cooling.
Picture of how you trimmed it?
Please 😁

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Picture of how you trimmed it?
Please 😁
O.K., I just took a couple of pics of my JKR. The JLR is at my Grandsons, but the process is the same. Just cut about 3” off.
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine bay really hot E8F47296-033E-4105-8B95-3EB423F9193D
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine bay really hot A0AF490A-6B07-41AA-B2B5-37F4F68E4D69

Last edited: