Hollow knock at idle

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Hey friends. I have a 2019 rubi 2dr 3.6 auto that has a hollow engine knock at idle when the oil temp rises over 200. I noticed when I first got it at 1k miles . It went away for awhile and now it’s back even louder at 21k. Wondering if anyone else has this?

I changed the oil the amsoil and it helped some but it’s still there.
Here is a link to a guy with a ram 3.6 that sounds just like mine. Listen for the deep hollow knock

tia
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I made my own video if anyone wants to check it out.. The oil has to get over 200f before it starts doing it. Im leary of the stealerships but i might have to take it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have a 2019 rubi 2dr 3.6 auto that has a hollow engine knock at idle when the oil temp rises over 200. I noticed when I first got it at 1k miles . It went away for awhile and now it’s back even louder at 21k.

Wondering if anyone else has this?

I changed the oil the amsoil and it helped some but it’s still there.

Here is a link to a guy with a ram 3.6 that sounds just like mine. Listen for the deep hollow knock

Oh, Lord. The sound beginning at 0:51 took me on an unpleasant trip down Memory Lane.

The Executive Summary: Within weeks of my taking delivery of a new 1995 YJ, the 2.5L 4 cyl. began to make the same sound at cold startup. The diagnosis was piston slap, and the remedy was replacement of the short block under warranty.

The same diesel-like knocking sound returned some months later. Now soured on the idea of keeping the vehicle, I sold it to a different Jeep dealer.

My experience is now 25 years old, but it's otherwise quite similar to your current observations, Chris. Best of luck with the resolution process.

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Oh, Lord. The sound beginning at 0:51 took me on an unpleasant trip down Memory Lane.

The Executive Summary: Within weeks of my taking delivery of a new 1995 YJ, the 2.5L 4 cyl. began to make the same sound at cold startup. The diagnosis was piston slap, and the remedy was replacement of the short block under warranty.

The same diesel-like knocking sound returned some months later. Now soured on the idea of keeping the vehicle, I sold it to a different Jeep dealer.

My experience is now 25 years old, but it's otherwise quite similar to your current observations, Chris. Best of luck with the resolution process.
Thanks for the reply, never thought of piston slap since it doesn't do it when cold, but you're right it does sorta sound like it.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, I was going to make a guess at a faulty EGR valve. But, what do I really know, I'm not a professional mechanic.
i hope it isnt piston slap.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
When are you taking it in? ?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I'll probably call this week.
Did you ever get an answer to what that sound was? Mine has always sounded like that. It sounds like a diesel.

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Nope, but its a little better after switching to 93 octane and amsoil oil.
Sponsored