HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well that stinks they couldn't hear it. I noticed if you park next to the side of a building it really amplifies the sound. I think most guys are going to say it isn't a problem, I guess my issue is I want to know what it is instead of being told its probably valve train noise. I mean, valve train is on the top half of the motor right? My noise is coming from the bottom end.
Sponsored

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Well that stinks they couldn't hear it. I noticed if you park next to the side of a building it really amplifies the sound. I think most guys are going to say it isn't a problem, I guess my issue is I want to know what it is instead of being told its probably valve train noise. I mean, valve train is on the top half of the motor right? My noise is coming from the bottom end.
For sure. Just have to keep an eye on it.

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Occupation
Nurse

I have the same knocking/clicking/ticking/annoyance. I have 4K miles on mine now and this just started when I first used my 4H system to climb a steep sandy hill last week 8/13/19. Never went away after that and it drives me nuts! I've heard it for so long now, even with the radio blasting....my mind still knocks lol. I really hope we can find a solution!

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the same knocking/clicking/ticking/annoyance. I have 4K miles on mine now and this just started when I first used my 4H system to climb a steep sandy hill last week 8/13/19. Never went away after that and it drives me nuts! I've heard it for so long now, even with the radio blasting....my mind still knocks lol. I really hope we can find a solution!
Yea, sounds like ours. One thing I noticed on cold starts it is completely quiet. Once the oil heats up the noise starts.....

I still haven't gone to another dealership for a second opinion.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Finally got around to taking the Jeep to another dealership, the technician immediately noticed the loud tick and stated something was definitely not right....

I'll be dropping it off on Monday for a few days of diagnostics. I will update you all once I hear from them.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey Guys,

Just picked up my factory order 2019 Jeep Rubicon. Unfortunately it pulls to the right, dealership said they would do an alignment for me in a few days. My other issue is at idle there is a very loud constant knock sound coming from underneath the vehicle. You can hear it very clearly on the passenger side of the vehicle including in the cabin.

I did search the forum and it brings up a plethora of threads on this, not sure if my issue could possible be the same though. I took a video for you to hear.

So what do you think?

I've owned close to a dozen of so cars and none of them made this particular noise.
Sounds like an old diesel engine lol.
Yea mine does the same on a bad day, for no obvious reasons, goes away after driving around.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@HeavyUser,

If you would like additional support while in service on Monday, please send our team a message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer. We are happy to assist however possible.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sounds like an old diesel engine lol.
Yea mine does the same on a bad day, for no obvious reasons, goes away after driving around.
Nice, mine does this every single time I drive once the engine oil has reached operating temp. It's also done this since mile 2.

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Update , I am the OP on another thread about the 3.6 knocking. The knock that I had from the start of ownership was not noticeable unless you were idling with a normal low rpm idle, ie warm engine. It did not sound like the sound in the links above. Those have a higher pitch or metallic sound like a lifter or tappet. The sound my engine made is more like plastic , and I thought of the timing chain tensioners. It seemed to be coming from the passenger side, hence, they replaced the camshaft and all of that to no avail. I had learned to ignore it until I was at drive through windows where the sound seemed to bounce of the wall and was louder. I carried the Jeep through a car wash with an under body spray. Immediately I got traction control alarm, check engine, ess alarm, throttle control alarm. When I left the car wash I was on my way to the NC mountains for the week. When I got out on the road, it would not take any fuel at all, and would just die. I limped about 30 miles to the nearest town and cut it off and restarted it. It did clear the throttle control alarm and ran ok, but the other alarms remained. When I got it back to my dealer, I told them what had happened and they looked at it for an hour and then told me "yep, you had water in one of the wiring connectors. The mechanic shook it out but may still,get some alarms while it continues to dry out." He handed me a bill for $95 and when I asked why didn't the warranty cover it he said it did not cover water damage. I told him yea, but it is a jeep, it is designed to go thru water whereupon he quickly replied yes but that is standing water and not water under pressure. I paid the bill and made my mind up to never go back. After about two more weeks with the alarm lights still on, I made an appointment at another dealer and while I was waiting for it I wound up making a deal to trade it on a 2020 Rubicon. I checked back on it a week later and they still had not been able to fix it. They said the abs computer was fried and some more parts thrown at it but still not fixed. I told him it wasn't my problem anymore. BTW, the new jeep is not making that sound. I really love the Rubicon I just hope this one doesn't let me down. If so, I will go back to Fords and I will never own another Dodge,Ram,Chrysler,Fiat,Jeep, Puego or whatever they are today.
My advice to you all with the funny engine sounds is to make sure it is documented and has been looked at by a dealership (or two). Then ride it till she blows. My sport had 9700 miles on it btw.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Welp, mine is back in the shop again lol. Massive misfires multiple times .... head mechanic believe my tick is the cause.

lol

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Hey Guys,

Just picked up my factory order 2019 Jeep Rubicon. Unfortunately it pulls to the right, dealership said they would do an alignment for me in a few days. My other issue is at idle there is a very loud constant knock sound coming from underneath the vehicle. You can hear it very clearly on the passenger side of the vehicle including in the cabin.

I did search the forum and it brings up a plethora of threads on this, not sure if my issue could possible be the same though. I took a video for you to hear.

So what do you think?

I've owned close to a dozen of so cars and none of them made this particular noise.
Not a spark or detonation knock , that's in the VVT arena, had that when new don't hear it now, mine was on same side but it's was middle to up top, near valve rocker area......for whatever reason now gone but I changed the oilat 1500 miles , disappeared around that time frame, research VVT, rocker bearings etc, now having said that I'm not a mechanic, just listen to my vehicles close, bear in mind everybody has an opinion professional or not, use what works for you in these threads, and discard others...BUT we have these forums because we love what we have....

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update , I am the OP on another thread about the 3.6 knocking. The knock that I had from the start of ownership was not noticeable unless you were idling with a normal low rpm idle, ie warm engine. It did not sound like the sound in the links above. Those have a higher pitch or metallic sound like a lifter or tappet. The sound my engine made is more like plastic , and I thought of the timing chain tensioners. It seemed to be coming from the passenger side, hence, they replaced the camshaft and all of that to no avail. I had learned to ignore it until I was at drive through windows where the sound seemed to bounce of the wall and was louder. I carried the Jeep through a car wash with an under body spray. Immediately I got traction control alarm, check engine, ess alarm, throttle control alarm. When I left the car wash I was on my way to the NC mountains for the week. When I got out on the road, it would not take any fuel at all, and would just die. I limped about 30 miles to the nearest town and cut it off and restarted it. It did clear the throttle control alarm and ran ok, but the other alarms remained. When I got it back to my dealer, I told them what had happened and they looked at it for an hour and then told me "yep, you had water in one of the wiring connectors. The mechanic shook it out but may still,get some alarms while it continues to dry out." He handed me a bill for $95 and when I asked why didn't the warranty cover it he said it did not cover water damage. I told him yea, but it is a jeep, it is designed to go thru water whereupon he quickly replied yes but that is standing water and not water under pressure. I paid the bill and made my mind up to never go back. After about two more weeks with the alarm lights still on, I made an appointment at another dealer and while I was waiting for it I wound up making a deal to trade it on a 2020 Rubicon. I checked back on it a week later and they still had not been able to fix it. They said the abs computer was fried and some more parts thrown at it but still not fixed. I told him it wasn't my problem anymore. BTW, the new jeep is not making that sound. I really love the Rubicon I just hope this one doesn't let me down. If so, I will go back to Fords and I will never own another Dodge,Ram,Chrysler,Fiat,Jeep, Puego or whatever they are today.
My advice to you all with the funny engine sounds is to make sure it is documented and has been looked at by a dealership (or two). Then ride it till she blows. My sport had 9700 miles on it btw.
From what i read the knock appears to be unrelated to the electrial, my 19 jl has some interesting noises, grunts and moans, have warranty and EXTENDED warranty, which i bought aftermarket from Mopar two days after the JL came back from Tampa..I am taking a wait and see approach, so i don't stay up all night....when you spend 50k ( I didn't), you expect a reliable ,free from defect unit, so a lot of times we get that "oh shit, this is a piece of crap, a little too early( this ain't an Accord)

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what i read the knock appears to be unrelated to the electrial, my 19 jl has some interesting noises, grunts and moans, have warranty and EXTENDED warranty, which i bought aftermarket from Mopar two days after I drovethe JL came back from Tampa..I am taking a wait and see approach, so i don't stay up all night....when you spend 50k ( I didn't), you expect a reliable ,free from defect unit, so a lot of times we get that "oh shit, this is a piece of crap, a little too early( this ain't an Accord)
I have been hypersensitive since purchase in July, I or FCA will get the gremlins out, on way or another.....

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
I had changed the oil twice by the dealership. And a left side camshaft, all new lifters and the oil phaser did not make a difference.
I think they were throwing parts at it hoping something would stick. Not my problem anymore. I am loving the rubicon. No knock, yet anyway. It does suck that they stopped offering the lifetime warranty.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Welp, it looks like they finally fixed my knocking sound. See below for Work Order and Video.

B7E9vu1TAJ-fyRISmLLfHrCnMkdFOZkv7bkuefsBEkz-Q-IuaWS6mLM_y3SSkbmCgLq7h8rX-KocQbiZE=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

CTgyBEubaN-CUE2Xwchl4Lu-Rz6QxOEpYWZpwwSf9tU5PhLLhYj1gmKAvN717knQlKtaCaDaYWw9TLjMJI=w2086-h690-no.jpg

Sponsored