Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I setup a manual system with ratchet straps last summer, but would like to electrify it this summer - I *despise* using ratchet straps.

However, I'm confused as to whether I need to use an electric hoist or a winch, and what (if any) the considerations would be for either?

AFAIK, a "hoist" is designed for *lifting up*, whereas a winch is designed for *pulling over*.

The way my garage is, I could either install the hoist up in the attic, between the rafters, or I could put the winch on the wall (on the studs, obv).

The ATV winches, which have more than enough power/capacity, are a little cheaper than the hoists, and attaching it to the wall would be easier than climbing around in the attic over the garage, and then having to run the remote to somewhere convenient.

**I should note that regardless of which I go with, I plan to use the electronics only for the initial lift/removal - I would of course still use the ratchet straps to secure for longer-term "holding"**

Educate me!
Sponsored

Hohnan

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW
I have seen people using both all over YouTube for the tops as well as lifting Roof Top Tents. Either will most likely be plenty for your top.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If you need an A/C to D/C converter you will likely lose any savings by purchasing the winch. Likewise, even a lawnmower battery will likely add up with a winch to similar costs of an electric hoist.

I used a winch for a similar operation, but already had a cheap 2k lbs one. So, it should work just fine. I don’t believe it’s great to leave the weight resting on winch gears which I think are slightly different than hoist gears (check me) so something to consider there.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Harbour freight electric hoist. Cheap and works great
PXL_20210403_235513790.jpg

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I loved the idea of a powered lift but I ultimately went with the Harken Hoister. The Garage Smart system looked really cool, but couldn't justify the cost. The Hoister was a bit much too, but it installed easy, is simple to use and securely holds the top in place.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
I built a bracket to hold the top, got some straps and hooks, and a Harbor Freight 440lb winch. Lifts my top with ease, and then I installed some ratchet straps and eyehooks into the ceiling to take the full weight off the hoist....total cost spent was under $300. I can send you plans I used to make my bracket setup if you'd like.

**EDIT**
I used the attached plans, got the electric hoist on sale, shopped around for the hardware, and I caught the Topsy products on sale too. It can be done "on the cheap", and it's a fully functioning hoist. I lifted myself (I weigh 230lbs dressed) and held myself there for 30-60 seconds: no creaking, crunching, or collapsing of the rafter...so I figured it'd easily hold my 120lb hard top (which it did).
Sponsored

Attachments