Hit a deer doing 70mph :(

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Morning all...Hit a large deer on the interstate doing 70 friday night, came out of no where. Hit drivers front and it flung it back to drivers fender and door. It happen so fast couldn't even react. 2 month old rubicon, makes me sick.

Front steel bumper creased, grill busted inside, drivers headlight pushed in and loose, lower fender and door dented up and my side mirror went backwards and the glass shattered...adjuster coming out this week.

Do you think there is any frame damage? There seemed to be a slight vibration shimmy after i drove it home..

Worried about long term ramifications.

Chris

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg
Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I have to say, I was expecting WAY more damage for a 70 mph deer strike. It’s hard to tell if frame damage is present without removing the bumper. An insurance adjuster will tell you for sure, but it looks like the bumper bent around the outside of the frame.

*This is the perfect time to upgrade your front bumper*

Your shimmy is probably coming from the wheel being knocked out of alignment. That can happens when a wheel takes a hit - even from a big pothole on the highway.

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
But did you get the deer and take it for processing? At least venison would make you feel better :like:
It was 11:30pm on a desserted interstate. I pulled over but could not find it anywhere. I must have flung it off in a ditch somewhere because i can't believe it survived that.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
For hitting a deer at 70mph it could've been MUCH worse. The main thing is that you're ok. Too many people swerve to miss a deer then end up in a ditch hitting a tree or left of center into another vehicle.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Time to make lemonade from lemon. Use the insurance money for upgraded bumper and fenders

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It was 11:30pm on a desserted interstate. I pulled over but could not find it anywhere. I must have flung it off in a ditch somewhere because i can't believe it survived that.
Bummer! But the good thing is that you hit it in a Jeep and not a Prius. The center mass of that deer could have done a hell of a lot of damage to a lower vehicle and even land in your lap. I must say to, your Jeep looks damn good for hitting a deer:like:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
First, I am glad that you were not injured.

Second, this must have been a glancing blow to the deer. Had this been 70 mph into the side of a deer, there would be a whole bunch more damage to your Jeep. Thankfully, that didn’t happen.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No big damage from what I see and the shimmy is probably just alignment. Still a shame.

I bounced a small donkey off the front of my 2002 Escape in 2005 at 5am doing 40mph. Didn't spill my coffee but I totaled everything in front of the engine except one headlight. Police let me drive it the 2 miles home but it was $9k in damage which included several hours of frame alignment so it was totaled. I missed a llama and a horse but the guy in front with a Chevy S10 took a cow through the passenger side of the cab. Texas country living at it's best back then.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
It links like all the body seams (door, hood, cowl, and grill look straight. My guess is just cosmetic damage, looking at the pictures.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the pics doesnt look all that bad for hitting a deer at 7o. just call the insurance company and provide them a police report. the insurance company will charge you $100 and repair everything that was damage. it will be claimed as a natural damage.
Sponsored