Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not the paint chips I’m worried about… the corrosion is an issue that occurs rock chips or not it’s just an issue with JL’s in particular. Now granted yes rock chips don’t help the situation but it’s more so I just don’t want the metal on metal contact that the hinges currently have so having some sort of barrier such as the 3m film or something I think will help prevent the corrosion… that as well as the marine grease or something similar on the bolts will help seal out any kind of foreign contaminants that may cause the corrosion.
Be as it may, if you put those things on your doors and the paint starts to bubble or show corrosion, you can kiss goodbye to the dealer fixing any of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
Be as it may, if you put those things on your doors and the paint starts to bubble or show corrosion, you can kiss goodbye to the dealer fixing any of it.
I’ll still manage to get it covered on warranty since I’m an f&i manager at a Jeep dealer but yeah i feel, worst case scenario tho I just put the og hinges on and they’d be none the wiser.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
He's debating replacing aluminum hinges, with aluminum hinges... Personally I would just get the original hinges powder coated before buying the Amazon specials.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I wouldn’t screw a set of Amazon parts onto these doors.

JL doors are made of aluminum. Putting a different metal in direct contact is likely to react.

JL uses aluminum on the hood and doors, magnesium on the tailgate and steel elsewhere. There was an article published in 2019 and posted on here weeks ago, about how FCA engineers went through great lengths to make sure different metals weren’t touching each other anywhere on the vehicle, to avoid unwanted reactions.

Besides, corrosion on the door hinges starts, in part, from flying rocks and debris lifted by the tires, chipping off at the clear coat, the paint and the primer. This mod doesn’t address the part most exposed to chipping: the lower portion of the hinge.

The best prevention against the hinges getting chipped is a good set of mud flaps, or a pair of Sahara side steps.
While that may be true in many instances, i do not think that is the issue on most jL’s.

case in point, my 2019 Sahara had the bubbling around the hinges. I had wide steps, as well as mud flaps since day 1. Further, my hood hinges were doing it as well. They are not only protected pretty well from rock chips since the hood dipps where the hinges are installed, but i also had the cascadia solar setup on the hood that raised the hood surface height another 1/2 inch.

obviously, i do not know for sure what caused the paint bubbling, but i would lean towards improper prep or paint contaminates.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
He's debating replacing aluminum hinges, with aluminum hinges... Personally I would just get the original hinges powder coated before buying the Amazon specials.
I’d also make sure my warranty has already expired.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll still manage to get it covered on warranty since I’m an f&i manager at a Jeep dealer but yeah i feel, worst case scenario tho I just put the og hinges on and they’d be none the wiser.
See, that’s just annoying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to argue and wrestle our dealers to the ground to force them to honor the smallest warranty claim.

Last edited:

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I’d also make sure my warranty has already expired.
Powder coating the original hinges or replacing them with powder coated aftermarket aluminum hinges won't void the warranty.

EDIT: On the hinges yes, but not when the corrosion spreads across the door/hood would the modified hinges affect the warranty for the rest of the vehicle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Powder coating the original hinges or replacing them with powder coated aftermarket aluminum hinges won't void the warranty.
It will if you try to have the dealer fix bubbling paint around the hinges.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It will if you try to have the dealer fix bubbling paint around the hinges.
They won't warranty the modified hinges, but doubt it would void the warranty on the rest of the vehicle. I believe the dealers are crappy and Jeep is sleazy, but can't see them denying a claim over powder coated hinges for the door bubbling up.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wouldn’t screw a set of Amazon parts onto these doors.

JL doors are made of aluminum. Putting a different metal in direct contact is likely to react.

JL uses aluminum on the hood and doors, magnesium on the tailgate and steel elsewhere. There was an article published in 2019 and posted on here weeks ago, about how FCA engineers went through great lengths to make sure different metals weren’t touching each other anywhere on the vehicle, to avoid unwanted reactions.

Besides, corrosion on the door hinges starts, in part, from flying rocks and debris lifted by the tires, chipping off at the clear coat, the paint and the primer. This mod doesn’t address the part most exposed to chipping: the lower portion of the hinge.

The best prevention against the hinges getting chipped is a good set of mud flaps, or a pair of Sahara side steps.
The hinge issue Definitely has nothing to do with rock chips….sure if one gets that it can help attribute to rust or corrosion occurring.
But this is definitely caused by dissimilar metals touching. The doors and hinges are aluminum and the screws/bolts are steel

I’m sure most who have this issue can confirm it’s occurring with no rock chips. Hood hinges and tailgate hinges are also heavily affected and doubt those areas are getting rock chips.

Although I wish your theory was the best prevention against this issue. Would be much easier to combat.

Unfortunately even FCA/Stellantis claims about all they’ve done to “prevent” dissimilar metals from touching …they really should try harder 😂

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is probably true unfortunately ….dealers will find any reason not to have the work done. Although if one finds a solution to avoid this issue occurring, one won’t have to worry about that warranty work.

although if it occurs you’re right….you will be most likely be shit out of luck for a warranty claim

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Why not just buy a mopar color matched paint pen and paint under them? They're like $14. Same place will mix you up a color match spray paint can if you prefer masking.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm just gonna tear the hinges off in the spring. Sandblast and bedliner them. Did it with my JK and they lasted 4 years with no problems until I sold it.

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
Found this product on Amazon and was curious if anyone had purchased this or any other version of this and if you guys think it could help prevent that dreaded hinge corrosion?

FD786E2C-9A1D-4079-8DA0-B7A1A97A6725.png

C43A2101-5B81-43C6-A16D-62303907FABA.png

58A53198-6B31-495F-9275-B2EE95AD4161.png

Sukemichi JL Door Hinge kit for Jeep, Change Original Factory Hinges Sleeve for 2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Sports Sahara Freedom Rubicon Gladiator JT Accessories 4-Door 8pcs, Aluminum, Anti-Rust https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DG4D7X...abc_M25VJJ6C2Q24A13YTYAB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Your factory hinges are made of the same metal they are NOT steel. They won't rust either
Sponsored