Door hinge corrosion

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I just got Tank back from getting the door hinge corrosion fixed. I got to talk to the body shop and learned a few things. This was a warranty repair that I took to Gastonia CDJR in NC. They had Tindal Ford’s body shop do the repair. The body shop said the was not a recommended fix from Jeep. No procedure no parts to prevent it from happening again, they looked for it. He said that on the first one they were surprised to see the bare metal hinge was mounted directly on the bare aluminum door skin. BTW, the hinge is not steel or at least ferrous because a magnet does not stick. Anyway, the body shop took all four doors off and took them apart. Repaired the corrosion, painted the area under the hinge and placed a film under the hinge. He did not describe the film. He did say they stand behind their work and if there are anymore problems to bring it back.

The body shop is getting a lot of these repairs. There were four more jeeps lined up behind mine. He said Pacificas and Explorers are seeing similar corrosion on the hoods. I’m not sure if Jeep has fixed later years but us early JL Jeepers will get this corrosion. Just a matter of time. I still have my hood and tailgate un protected.

The paint and film repair got me thinking. What if we apply spray plasti-dip between the hinge and the aluminum. Basically unbolt one side of the hinge, spray, let dry and bolt back. The overspray can then be cleaned up by peeling. That will leave a sealed film between the hinge and aluminum. Spray the panel and the back side on the hinge should leave a few thousandths gasket in between.
What do y’all think? Would that work?
Sponsored

Reactions: OBD

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know but my Jeep has been to the body shop 4 times for corrosion..... and I'm sure #5 is a reality.... frustrating!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just got Tank back from getting the door hinge corrosion fixed. I got to talk to the body shop and learned a few things. This was a warranty repair that I took to Gastonia CDJR in NC. They had Tindal Ford’s body shop do the repair. The body shop said the was not a recommended fix from Jeep. No procedure no parts to prevent it from happening again, they looked for it. He said that on the first one they were surprised to see the bare metal hinge was mounted directly on the bare aluminum door skin. BTW, the hinge is not steel or at least ferrous because a magnet does not stick. Anyway, the body shop took all four doors off and took them apart. Repaired the corrosion, painted the area under the hinge and placed a film under the hinge. He did not describe the film. He did say they stand behind their work and if there are anymore problems to bring it back.

The body shop is getting a lot of these repairs. There were four more jeeps lined up behind mine. He said Pacificas and Explorers are seeing similar corrosion on the hoods. I’m not sure if Jeep has fixed later years but us early JL Jeepers will get this corrosion. Just a matter of time. I still have my hood and tailgate un protected.

The paint and film repair got me thinking. What if we apply spray plasti-dip between the hinge and the aluminum. Basically unbolt one side of the hinge, spray, let dry and bolt back. The overspray can then be cleaned up by peeling. That will leave a sealed film between the hinge and aluminum. Spray the panel and the back side on the hinge should leave a few thousandths gasket in between.
What do y’all think? Would that work?
Water is getting under the shitty paint. Hinges are aluminium, door skins are aluminium. Bolts and "nuts" they screw into are steel. If it was just galvanic corrosion, we wouldn't be seeing it at the bottoms of doors and what not. It just come down to shitty pain in my opinion. It would help if they didn't pain the hinges while attached to the doors. That may be why we are seeing "gaskets" (we actually haven't see proof of a gasket yet as not many are willing to pull their hinges off) I know for a fact there wasnt a gasket on my 21.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The hinges on my 2018 are still intact.

Knock on wood...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tank the Jeep

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Water is getting under the shitty paint. Hinges are aluminium, door skins are aluminium. Bolts and "nuts" they screw into are steel. If it was just galvanic corrosion, we wouldn't be seeing it at the bottoms of doors and what not. It just come down to shitty pain in my opinion. It would help if they didn't pain the hinges while attached to the doors. That may be why we are seeing "gaskets" (we actually haven't see proof of a gasket yet as not many are willing to pull their hinges off) I know for a fact there wasnt a gasket on my 21.
The body shop guy was talking about the hoods corroding around the edges. He said the aluminum wraps around a steel frame and if the glue has a small gap it can allow the two metals contact each other. It still sounds like galvanic action to me. I guess this was jeeps first major step into aluminum. I know there were some JKs with aluminum hoods, but that is no where near what is n the JLs. Point is… Jeep has some more to learn about aluminum.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The body shop guy was talking about the hoods corroding around the edges. He said the aluminum wraps around a steel frame and if the glue has a small gap it can allow the two metals contact each other. It still sounds like galvanic action to me. I guess this was jeeps first major step into aluminum. I know there were some JKs with aluminum hoods, but that is no where near what is n the JLs. Point is… Jeep has some more to learn about aluminum.
I'm still not sold on galvanic but regardless, Jeep needs to learn how to properly prep and paint. It's not like this is the first time 2 dissimilar metals have been painted.
Sponsored