Hiding the FOB while hiking

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
If Jeep would just make a smaller FOB, I'd be happy. It's almost like their marketing department designed it for the billboard space so they could put the big letters "JEEP" on there.
Double side tape it to he top center of the grill. People will just thing you have a JK. :like:

On this thread a guy mentions using a locking hitch PIN through his key ring, might be an option.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/runners-what-do-you-do-with-your-key-fob.21260/page-5
Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
thats is such a great idea. thanks. i guess the heavy guauge steel would shield most of the signal. thanks alot for posting that
Use it all the time when Im diving or surfing. It does block all the signals.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I had spare key concerns before a recent trip, so I took the circuit board and battery out of the fob and also hid an extra key blade on the outside of the jeep. I could start using the tip of the fob to push the start button or by holding the battery in place in the bare circuit board. Carry the now water proof (no electronics) fob with you and if you lose it, use the hidden key blade to unlock and use the circuit board to start. I actually put a small circle of 3M protection film on the start button so the constant starting with the tip of the fob wouldn't damage it.
It’s not all about the circuit board. I have not tested this, but I do have this key fob. The little square metal piece inside the fob corresponding with your ignition.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It’s not all about the circuit board. I have not tested this, but I do have this key fob. The little square metal piece inside the fob corresponding with your ignition.
The little square piece inside the fob is the RFID chip. It's what allows you to start with a dead fob battery by pushing the start button with the tip of the fob. It is not involved in a proximity start. You can proximity start with just the circuit board and holding the battery in place.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
Interesting... tape the RFID chip to the key and take it with you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
citzen z

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i installed a hitch safe and the fob fits but barely. i wrapped it in tin foil to play it safe and locked it up. i then tried to start the jeep with no fob and it said fob not detected. thanks to every one who recommended the hitch safe. i wish i knew about it a year ago.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I had a Hyundai once you could unlock and start with an app. Anything like that exist for Jeep? Maybe after market?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
i installed a hitch safe and the fob fits but barely. i wrapped it in tin foil to play it safe and locked it up. i then tried to start the jeep with no fob and it said fob not detected. thanks to every one who recommended the hitch safe. i wish i knew about it a year ago.
You dont have to wrap it. I tried it with couple of different cars and could not open doors, trunk or start the car with fob in hitch safe.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Stand behind the Jeep, turn right, walk 100 paces, dig a hole, drop in FOB, fill in hole, go on hike. ;)
This also worked for Captain Jack Sparrow.....
Sponsored