Here we go... Mods??

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
ultimately it is up to you and your budget....I thought I would wait on mods since I stretched the budget for a Rubicon and wouldn't need anything more, but that didn't last long and brown boxes somehow continue to show up on my door step:lipssealed:

the biggest and best mod so far was the wheels and tires....it changed the look and feel so much and after selling the stockers it really wasn't that expensive mod to do. I'm sure it will be one of your first and favorite mods too very soon.

congrats and good luck trying to take it slowly;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Here we go... Mods?? IMG_9015.JPG

one month later....

Jeep Wrangler JL Here we go... Mods?? tempImagegDuP7H
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Given that it is the turbo, one thing I was thinking was a tuner and I have hear good things about the SuperChips TD3. Thoughts?

Don't do it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
ultimately it is up to you and your budget....I thought I would wait on mods since I stretched the budget for a Rubicon and wouldn't need anything more, but that didn't last long and brown boxes somehow continue to show up on my door step:lipssealed:

the biggest and best mod so far was the wheels and tires....it changed the look and feel so much and after selling the stockers it really wasn't that expensive mod to do. I'm sure it will be one of your first and favorite mods too very soon.

congrats and good luck trying to take it slowly;)

one month later....

How did u get 2 more doors then I did? :) great looking rig! šŸ‘šŸ½

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have a 2020 JLUR. If itā€™s an every day driver, I would recommend a modest 2ā€ lift and 35ā€™s.

35x11.5x17 is perfect for the stock rims in my opinion.

Ours is a daily driver and weekend warrior when I can. Being a 4 door, you will scrape on obstacles and hills that you would think you shouldnā€™t be. Then the 2ā€ lift and 35ā€™s come into play and alleviate much of it. Itā€™s a great combo and will get you about anywhere you would want to go.

I also highly recommend a winch and recovery gear.

Congrats and best of luck Just Emptying Every Pocket. šŸ˜

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Jeep owners seem to be one of the most "mod happy" owners groups I have even been a part of. I bought the Rubicon so I wouldn't have to mod it. I have stuck to it. We did buy a soft top and seat covers. I potted the locker sensors but no lift, no wheels, no tires, no winch. I will do 35" tires when/if the ones I want come off back order. I will run the factory wheels because if you go aftermarket and have that "poke" so many people desire, you will tear up your fenders off road.

Ours has already done a bunch of trails in SW Colorado where we live. There aren't any regular trails here it can't do stock.

Learning the do and don'ts off road is best done by hooking up with someone experienced and learning as you go. Lots of clubs, lots of willing forum participants you can connect with. I would offer but this is my wife's car, I don't just take it out wheeling:)

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Jeep owners seem to be one of the most "mod happy" owners groups I have even been a part of. I bought the Rubicon so I wouldn't have to mod it. I have stuck to it. We did buy a soft top and seat covers. I potted the locker sensors but no lift, no wheels, no tires, no winch. I will do 35" tires when/if the ones I want come off back order. I will run the factory wheels because if you go aftermarket and have that "poke" so many people desire, you will tear up your fenders off road.

Ours has already done a bunch of trails in SW Colorado where we live. There aren't any regular trails here it can't do stock.

Learning the do and don'ts off road is best done by hooking up with someone experienced and learning as you go. Lots of clubs, lots of willing forum participants you can connect with. I would offer but this is my wife's car, I don't just take it out wheeling:)

Are you telling me I didn't need a lift and 37s before I got license plates??? Did I not need the beadlocks after that, and bumpers, and skid plates and such???

Honestly, I didn't. But, not my first jeep and I didn't want to make the "do it three times" mistake I made with the TJ. JL is so much more mod friendly, and also stupid capable as stock.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
As others have mentioned, I wouldnt start modding just yet. Your Rubi is way more capable than you think. Find people to go wheeling with. There is a Denver group here if you are in the area. They have a slack channel to coordinate trips:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/official-denver-area-group.40118/page-16#post-1608341

This will give you a chance to learn how to off road your JL as well as an opportunity to see what others have done to theirs to determine for yourself what works and what doesnt.

As your skills grow and your desire to mod increases, by then you will have experience under your belt to start determining what is best for you and your rig.

OP
OP

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
As others have mentioned, I wouldnt start modding just yet. Your Rubi is way more capable than you think. Find people to go wheeling with. There is a Denver group here if you are in the area. They have a slack channel to coordinate trips:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/official-denver-area-group.40118/page-16#post-1608341

This will give you a chance to learn how to off road your JL as well as an opportunity to see what others have done to theirs to determine for yourself what works and what doesnt.

As your skills grow and your desire to mod increases, by then you will have experience under your belt to start determining what is best for you and your rig.
Thank you very much and as I have been reading and researching I definitely plan to look for a good local group to join and learn from and then mod as I go... if I mod at all. LOL! :)

Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Mod the hell out of it. Spend your money, support the economy and have fun. I can promise you, the fun is in the experience.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
As to the last part of your question, I'd recommend finding a gravel road or gravel parking lot and spend some time practicing the transfer case. You don't want to be figuring that out for the first time when you actually need it. When I did that with mine I discovered it wouldn't stay in 4hi. The transfer case shift cable needed adjusting to correct that. Then we learned the shift into 4lo can be a pita. With ours putting the transmission in neutral and being stopped or nearly stopped works well.

Jhai

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
I too have a new 2021 Rubicon, I drove it for 1,000 and did the 2" mopar lift, 37" tires, and saw a drop in performance especially in the mountains (Breckenridge - 10,000'). I had the gears redone to 5:13 and the power came back. I also changed out the exhaust which I believe made a little difference to performance and definitely to the sound.

I too am a newbie but with my "lack" of knowledge the logical response I have read on these boards of not messing with a superchip tuning module based on the fact that you have a new car and could negatively affect the warranty is a valid point that I resonate with.

The only mod I was thinking about to further support high altitude driving (on and off road) was to replace the cold air intake. However, I have been hesitant because numerous people have told me that the jeep may throw up unwanted check engine lights.

Just had the a-pillar Cube light mounts powder coated to match my paint and about to install my D-SS Pro cube lights and Warn winch this month. It's Lego for grownups.....

Hope this helps!

IMG_1475.jpeg

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
For the novice Iā€™d say join a club and donā€™t start buying stuff before you actually need it.

A couple of off-road tips from down under though.

Youā€™ll find youā€™ll want storage. ARB base rack completely blows other roof racks out water. Especially with the JL. It makes other racks like rhino rack looks like flimsy junk.

If you want auxiliary power (for running fridges etc), just invest in a DCDC charger and lithium battery and have them installed CORRECTLY.The US/BC market seems to be lagging a bit in the area from what Iā€™ve seen, and have some very expensive and impractical solutions.
Sponsored