Sponsored

Here we go... Mods??

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Hello all! Just picked up my 2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo last night and just curious since this is my first Jeep what mods would be recommended for the occasional mountain trips up here in Colorado as well as keep some decent daily drivability. Given that it is the turbo, one thing I was thinking was a tuner and I have hear good things about the SuperChips TD3. Thoughts? And for other mods I have heard that going with a Mopar 2" lift and increasing the tire size to 35s is a good step. If I do 35" tires should I get different wheels or keep the stock wheels and just throw some 35s on those? Also, not really a mod for my new Jeep but more of a mod for myself... Any recommendations for how to start off on the right foot as a beginner in off-roading? I don't want to be that idiot up on the mountain not having a clue what I am doing. Any courses or anything that would be recommended maybe before even taking it up on the mountain or something like that? Below is a pic of the new ride as well!

Jeep Wrangler JL Here we go... Mods?? 20210812_070044
Sponsored

B.Young

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Training Team Lead
welcome! im in the same boat. New jeep owner and slowly looking and getting mods for mine. i havent bought anything yet. trying to do as much research as i can and reading thru this forum.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My recommendation would be to drive it a for a while and just start keeping a list or a spreadsheet somewhere of the things you THINK you want/need.

Take it offroad to an easy-to-moderate trail - you'd be surprised what it's capable of just off the dealership. I took my bone-stock Sahara out to the local offroad park last weekend and it handled damn near everything. Granted, it wasn't all graceful, and it definitely highlighted that for me, a small lift and bigger tires are at the top of my list, but the Rubicon sits way different than a Sahara, so you'd probably be fine if you're not planning on doing intense rock crawling or anything.

I'm also a first-time Jeep owner - take a look through my build thread to get an idea (I believe my Amazon wishlist and planning spreadsheet are also linked there).

TL;DR - drive it both onroad and offroad first before you put any money into it.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
The best way to get experience is to join a local club. I'd say 99% of them are overly nice and willing to help the inexperienced. Plus, they can be there to help pull you out of a situation, or prevent you from getting into one all-together.

You can read as much as you want, but you'll pick up 10x more and a lot faster by actually doing it.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hello all! Just picked up my 2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo last night and just curious since this is my first Jeep what mods would be recommended for the occasional mountain trips up here in Colorado as well as keep some decent daily drivability. Given that it is the turbo, one thing I was thinking was a tuner and I have hear good things about the SuperChips TD3. Thoughts? And for other mods I have heard that going with a Mopar 2" lift and increasing the tire size to 35s is a good step. If I do 35" tires should I get different wheels or keep the stock wheels and just throw some 35s on those? Also, not really a mod for my new Jeep but more of a mod for myself... Any recommendations for how to start off on the right foot as a beginner in off-roading? I don't want to be that idiot up on the mountain not having a clue what I am doing. Any courses or anything that would be recommended maybe before even taking it up on the mountain or something like that? Below is a pic of the new ride as well!
Drive it stock for a while before you start modding. Take the time to learn what you like and don't like about the vehicle in stock form. If there are off-road or Jeep clubs near you, consider joining. If there are any off-road schools near you, consider taking a class. I went to one here in NY and it was some of the best money spent on myself and my Jeep. Most important, enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep, drive for awhile and if you find any shortcomings, then mod it for that. Don't tune it until you are used to driving it. Most find the 2.0 to be more than adequate in factory tune.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Get a throttle controller to help with the turbo lag for accelerating from a stop. I use a Hikeit X9 and it helps a lot for getting smooth and consistent acceleration.

Since your new to Jeeps, I would keep the lift, tires, etc. modding to a minimum for now. Once you start down that road, it can be a long and expensive path which you need to be prepared for financially and knowledge wise. The worst thing you can do is start throwing parts on before you have a clear build plan. As you get experience and know what you want and WHY you want/need it, then build a list to ensure all of the parts are compatible with each other.

Something you can do now (and be able to keep regardless of future mods) to increase your Jeep's ability is to add underbody protection. With the proper skid plates, your stock Rubicon will be able to take you just about everywhere. Look for an aluminum skid system (Artec, RockHard, Next Venture Motorsports offer them) for lightweight protection of your oil pan, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank. A steel skid plate system is cheaper, but heavier. Then get a FAD skid, possibly LCA skids, and better rock sliders if you think you'll be hitting that area.

You can also add 35" tires (either 35X12.50's or 315x70's) for a little more ground clearance with minimal rubbing and minimal effect of mpg's.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Welcome! You don't really need a lift to run 35s. I would suggest going to 37s although this will impact your Jeeps acceleration up at altitude if you don't regear. I just spent a month in Colorado running trails all over the state and my Jeep did fine with 37s, the V6, and stock 4.10 gears.

I wrote this guide to suspension, wheel and tire setups for the Jeep JL. It might give you some good info to start with: The Definitive Guide to Running 37s on Jeep JL

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I agree... as a new owner of a 2.0LT JLUS Willys I drove mine a bit, did some mild to medium level off-roading in stock form and learned a lot from that experience.

I was doing a lot of reading here and have to say this forum is a gold mine of information on many subjects that I am sure you will find helpful.

To pick the right mods think about how you will generally use the vehicle, what sorts of things will keep you safe and on track when off the paved roads plus the safety & recovery gear you .should have with you. Also think about accessories that will make your experience less stressful.

There's no reason to go whole hog on mods right up front. Practical experience is a great teacher.

So I have this list...and I'm willing to share.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Get that beautiful Rubi some front mud flaps, your hinges and fenders will thank you!

If you are worried about being made fun of on the trails, get the removable kind (e.g. RokBlokz). That way you can pull over a few miles from the meet up and take them off.🙂

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It all depends on use. There are pros and cons to any mods.

I have a sport S with rear LSD 2 door. On rubicon suspension and 33s. Ive been taking it on black diamond trails. It is amazing what jeeps can do. I cant go higher than 33s, so I just need to get more experience. I also have fun wheeling with 33s. Mods I am currently looking at right now are a front air locker and better underbody protection, but thats because I am hitting tough trails. If I had a 4 door I would have no choice but to lift and 35s, or Ive be getting high centered constantly.

Anyway, this should give you an idea of what your rubi needs. Wheel it on 33s, it is the only chance youll have to learn and get good, you need to challenge yourself. Too many people go big too soon.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
From what I recently found, upgrading your bump stops is a very prudent first mod. I destroyed my OEM bump stops in 3k miles. They're relatively cheap and easy to install. The quality difference between stock and aftermarket is night & day.

If you go off road, especially without a lift and loaded up with camping gear, you might want to check what condition your bump stops are in.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I would look at a JB4 before Superchips. Burger Motorsports is probably the biggest tuner in the BMW turbo scene. You can pick tune maps for different boost up to +6psi over.

https://burgertuning.com/collections/jeep-2-0t/products/jb4-for-2018-jeep-wrangler-cherokee

I'd stick with 17s, but, although you may be able to get an installer to squeeze them on, almost all the 35x12.50 manufacturers will have 8" minimum wheel width (your's are 17x7.5 +44.5mm offset). 315/70R17s are basically the same size and are another size to look at when you're shopping.

Get recovery gear before you hit the trail, at least a snatch strap and d rings to start with.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Get to know your jeep a little before diving into big changes. Also, get some miles on it and make sure there's nothing wrong with it. Any new car can have issues that's what a warranty is for. Make sure none of those kinds of issues pop up before making changes. Dealers love to point to mods when there's a problem.
I have a TD3 and love it. I put the performance engine and trans tune on my 2.0 and it makes a noticeable difference and regular drivability is improved too and it's 50 state emissions legal. I was running their tune since before the TD3 was available. I also like the ability to lock the rear in 2wd. I highly recommend it.
As for other mods it depends on what type of off-roading you plan on doing. Overlanding, rock crawling, camping, trail running... I do mostly trails, mud, and sand with occasional obstacles. 35s will fit on stock rims and stock suspension. Technically they are a hair narrow for 35s but they work fine. There is so much sidewall on a 35 it's really not an issue. A lot of JLs on this site run 35s on factory rims. They might rub under extreme flex like rock crawling. The mopar lift is ok. There are better, but again it depends on what your plans are. If it's a true double duty daily driver and occasional weekend trips I wouldn't go crazy with the lift and tires. Anything over 2.5-3" requires other modifications. The 2.0 with the automatic is great and you won't really notice the 35s. Especially after being tuned. Larger tires and heavy rims and you'll start to notice the difference. You have the steel bumper already so add a winch and get yourself a kinetic rope and a folding shovel to get yourself, or your friends, out sticky situations and have a blast! The Harbor Freight Badlands Apex winch is actually pretty good for an economy winch (they go on sale from time to time too). Rockhard 4x4 makes a winch mounting plate for the factory bumper that tilts the winch forward a few degrees to get more clearance for the battery cables between the winch and the grill on the JL.
Skids and extra protection can be added later depending on the type of wheeling YOU plan to do. I agree with others on aluminum if you go that route.

The JL Rubicon is a very capable rig stock. 35s and a mild lift will go a long way off road and not ruin the daily drivability and comfort.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
First Jeep...and that's the start? You are set.

Get a winch if you want...learn how to use it safely. That and basically recovery gear is what I would suggest. You'll be shocked what it can do just like that.

Also, look how easy you can make the front bumper "stubby".
Sponsored