Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

YES! lol I think so. Empty means empty just like when boy parts meant boy and girl parts meant girl. :LOL:
Well we certainly agree on that! :)

If I hand someone a cup which has scalding hot coffee in it and say, run this to the sink for me, it's empty, and they burn themselves....
Bad analogy. If I say your tank is empty, but there's really 3 more gallons in it, you are not harmed.

If you wait to be alerted that your tank is entirely empty, and you've been relying on an estimate of gas left because in reality that's the best the trip computer can do based on current conditions and your recent driving performance, then you're screwed.

I was a firefighter for over 25 years. When the low air alarm went off on our SCBA, it was time to GTFO! not screw around and try to figure out how much I really had left.

So when your fuel gauge alerts you, it means it's really time to go fill up, can't promise exactly how much more fuel you'll really have (or use up). They build in a safety margin. You personally might not need it, but the masses sure do!
Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
What's your problem OP? On pg 458 of the 2021 owners manual your question is answered, as others have said. What the fuel gauge reads has nothing to do with tank capacity. The gauge reading depends on how it's calibrated. Apparently your Jeep is calibrated to show E when you have approximately 3 gallons in the tank. If your gauge didn't allow a reserve you'd be bitching that you ran out of gas too soon. My last CJ didn't have an operational fuel gauge and I knew how far I could go in various conditions and would fill up when I had gone about 75% of that distance. And I've never run out of fuel!
Fuel (Approximate)
Two Door Models17.5 Gallons66 Liters
Four Door Models21.5 Gallons81 Liters
3.0L Diesel Engine18.3 Gallons69 Liters

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, then why does the Jeep lie to me? Would you be happy if the Jeep told you you had 0 miles to go but still 15 gallons in the tank? What if the speedometer said you were going 50 but you were really going 40? What if you were really going 60? Do you understand why truth and facts matter now? Hopefully that clears up why we shouldn't just blindly follow what people tell us.

Would you be happy if the manual told you that you have a 5 quart capacity for engine oil but it was really 8 quarts? So you start draining your oil into a 6 quart pan and then it overflows? You've made a decision based on information provided that you trusted and your decision was bad.

Am I the only one here that sees a problem with a 3 gallon discrepancy? Does no one else think critically about anything their told?
Wow! You are an ANGRY KITTY.

KevinBoston

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Mine is the same way. 17 to 18 gallons each fill up. I really want a bigger fuel tank. Donā€™t want the auxiliary tank I see for sale. I would like to just have one a little deeper tank and have a skid plate on it. Donā€™t hate me but I donā€™t go rock crawling so longer range between fill ups would be great. I love my jeep just hate stopping to fill up so often. 5 more gallons would be huge.
I went from a 4 door to a 2 door, and wow, I am surprised it only had a 17-gallon tank. I feel like I am always filling up. To make matters worse. Always seems like it's on 1/4 tank all the time LOL. Every time I fill up, it only takes 13, 14 or 15 gallons and it looks like I am on empty.

THAW

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL4DrRubicon
Would you be happy if the manual told you that you have a 5 quart capacity for engine oil but it was really 8 quarts?
Wait, didn't you indicate you prefer the manual underestimate capacity specs?

My ā€˜92 Celica, I had filled up more than the tank size (reserve), my ā€˜06 Corolla, I had filled up more than the tank size (reserve), my ā€˜18 Subaru, I filled up more than the tank capacity (reserve).

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
I went from a 4 door to a 2 door, and wow, I am surprised it only had a 17-gallon tank. I feel like I am always filling up. To make matters worse. Always seems like it's on 1/4 tank all the time LOL. Every time I fill up, it only takes 13, 14 or 15 gallons and it looks like I am on empty.
same, just went back to the glorious 2 door beast, to be suprised im always looking at fuel stations. I do remember pushing it ten years ago with a JK, went as far as I had guts, and gauge did keep moving lower and lower below empty, , but still could only fill it with 14.5 gallons.

KevinBoston

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
same, just went back to the glorious 2 door beast, to be suprised im always looking at fuel stations. I do remember pushing it ten years ago with a JK, went as far as I had guts, and gauge did keep moving lower and lower below empty, , but still could only fill it with 14.5 gallons.
LOL nice
Sponsored