Help me prioritize my mods

bikemerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 4xe
We’re new to the world of Jeeps and have totally fallen in love with wheeling and overlanding. We just bought a ‘21 JLUR 4xe and are planning on overlanding alone but wheeling in groups. We’ll run across some intermediate trails overlanding. So self recovery is important.

We’re trying to budget for mods, you know, because new Jeep (and kid in college!). It’ll take us a couple years to tick through the list. Here’s what I’m thinking:
  1. Winch/Bumper/Recovery gear (including straps and sand anchor)
  2. Skid plates (is there a piece by piece option cheaper than the full set for a Rubicon?)
  3. Rear bumper with tire carrier (can’t afford the bumper and tires at the same time.
  4. 37” Tires/wider wheels/spacer lift
  5. 2” lift (probably Mopar -because warranty- but maybe aftermarket 2.5”
Thoughts on this? Especially the skid plates before getting new tires. I could probably get away with 35” tires but I’m sure I would want bigger long term. I imagine a stock JLUR is pretty capable which leads me to do tires second.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me prioritize my mods F2EEF444-552C-4DAE-A2DA-08A07979FC71
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
First, welcome to Jeep life.

Next, do nothing for at least a couple of months, seriously. If you are new to Jeep life, you will want to do do everything tomorrow, but it is best to wait. Jeeps take some time to get the feel of … how it handles, brakes, etc. Drive your rig for a bit, get a feel for what you like, how it handles on the road and do some basic off-pavement stuff.

Once you do that, you will get a feel for what you like, and more importantly, what you need. Any changes you make always have a counter-balance, namely in poorer on-road driving, so figure out if you are willing to live with that if this is your daily driver. Plus, while no one buys a Wrangler for great gas mileage, the setup you are talking about will make you best friends with your local gas station.

A stock Jeep of any type, but especially a Rubicon, can get you a lot of places as it is. You may discover you only need its 33” tires, as an example. I have taken my stock Sport up some pretty nasty climbs in the mountains … just a good set of AT tires and some recovery gear is all I need.

Either way, welcome aboard!

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well I’m coming from a two door Rubicon but all I did to mine was drop a winch in the steel bumper and add a bull bar. The thing is crazy capable. Only thing I’m adding in the future are skid plates. Really like the Metal Cloak ones. A bit expensive but buy once cry once

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We’re new to the world of Jeeps and have totally fallen in love with wheeling and overlanding. We just bought a ‘21 JLUR 4xe and are planning on overlanding alone but wheeling in groups. We’ll run across some intermediate trails overlanding. So self recovery is important.

We’re trying to budget for mods, you know, because new Jeep (and kid in college!). It’ll take us a couple years to tick through the list. Here’s what I’m thinking:
  2. Skid plates (is there a piece by piece option cheaper than the full set for a Rubicon?)
  3. Rear bumper with tire carrier (can’t afford the bumper and tires at the same time.
Thoughts on this? Especially the skid plates before getting new tires. I could probably get away with 35” tires but I’m sure I would want bigger long term. I imagine a stock JLUR is pretty capable which leads me to do tires second.
Welcome to Jeep life! One thing to think about is how quickly you want to make the changes. I’m running 35’s on a stock Rubicon suspension with aftermarket inner fender liners and only rarely rub. I’ve had these tires for three years and am only now thinking of going larger. I’ll end up not getting the full life out of these tires, but certainly got my money’s worth. So if you’re not going to 37’s within the next two years, going to 35’s might be perfectly reasonable. Think about your timescales.

Since you already have the stock steel bumper, a winch is pretty easy to do. It’s also useless without straps and shackles, so your #1 makes sense. For skid plates, there’s a bunch of oil pan and transfer case skid plates out there that can tide you over for a while. The gas tank already has one, so you can wait a while for a full set.

For the tire carrier, with light 35’s on light wheels, you’d be fine. Only need to get worried if the weight gets up there.

And for my money, I would not do a spacer lift. Save up to do the lift and 37‘s at the same time, if you do decide to go 37’s.

All this said, I totally agree with the other advice: get out there with your Jeep and figure out what your needs are. You might be surprised.

7vaa

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. Mine is a JLU sport s and I haven’t started modding it until early December (had it since July).
I started with recovery gear. Mainly a 12000 Kg snatch strap, tow rope, hard & soft shackles

I then got the Rigid 360 4” lights which really are a wonderful pair and a killswitch.
If I would do it all over I’d go with a winch plate and proper winch. Then I’d go for the lights and better than stock lift.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Next, do nothing for at least a couple of months, seriously. If you are new to Jeep life, you will want to do do everything tomorrow, but it is best to wait. Jeeps take some time to get the feel of … how it handles, brakes, etc. Drive your rig for a bit, get a feel for what you like, how it handles on the road and do some basic off-pavement stuff.

Once you do that, you will get a feel for what you like, and more importantly, what you need. Any changes you make always have a counter-balance, namely in poorer on-road driving, so figure out if you are willing to live with that if this is your daily driver. Plus, while no one buys a Wrangler for great gas mileage, the setup you are talking about will make you best friends with your local gas station.

A stock Jeep of any type, but especially a Rubicon, can get you a lot of places as it is. You may discover you only need its 33” tires, as an example. I have taken my stock Sport up some pretty nasty climbs in the mountains … just a good set of AT tires and some recovery gear is all I need.

Good advice- I don’t get those who immediately make large mods before they know the stock ride, steering, brakes, handling, capabilities etc. regarding the “small 33’s” , in the late 70’s I went overboard and put 3” lift on my CJ5 to fit BIG (at the time) 33’s. 😊

OP
OP

bikemerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 4xe

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I really don’t know whether I’ll actually need bigger than 33’s. It makes sense to wait a bit before anything more than recovery gear.

OP
OP

bikemerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 4xe
Well I’m coming from a two door Rubicon but all I did to mine was drop a winch in the steel bumper and add a bull bar. The thing is crazy capable. Only thing I’m adding in the future are skid plates. Really like the Metal Cloak ones. A bit expensive but buy once cry once
That’s where I’m leaning too. I’m only replacing my bumper because I can get enough for selling OEM that the upgrade is only a couple hundred more that buying a winch mount plate alone.

OP
OP

bikemerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 4xe
Hi. Mine is a JLU sport s and I haven’t started modding it until early December (had it since July).
I started with recovery gear. Mainly a 12000 Kg snatch strap, tow rope, hard & soft shackles

I then got the Rigid 360 4” lights which really are a wonderful pair and a killswitch.
If I would do it all over I’d go with a winch plate and proper winch. Then I’d go for the lights and better than stock lift.
Better than stock lift as in better than a Mopar lift or taller than a sport? It’s a Rubi which is already taller.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I find that you learn what you need by driving some stuff that you’re going to drive in the future. I was like you thinking i want a lift and bigger tires, a winch and a bumper. I went off-roading with a local group and found that i didn’t need any lift or bigger tires for that stuff, sure i want them and i will get them in the future. But i instead discovered something that i needed which slipped under my radar, lights. So i did what most people on here advice, buy once cry once, and got me a set of kcs.

Sponsored

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Congratulations on your purchase! I see you have a 4xe so that brings up a couple of points.

First, if you're going to go for a lift, the mopar kit is not the best on a 4xe. Those that have it have been reporting a net gain of only 1" from that lift. You may be disappointed after spending that kind of money. From what I've been learning, you could look into Evo, Clayton, Metalcloak and Rock Krawler lifts. All are compatible but keep in mind that if you go over 2.5", you're going to have to replace the driveshaft and if you're going to go into more challenging trails with more flex needed, you will want to do it even over 2".

Secondly, 37" tires look great, but the 4xe also has limitations that could affect you with that. As of now, it's impossible to regear over 4.50 on that model. You may be unhappy with your driving performance if you go that big.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me prioritize my mods F2EEF444-552C-4DAE-A2DA-08A07979FC71
Go take some off road training and get to know the Jeep.

Your Jeep can do a lot more then you think as is, and learning to get the most out of it is the best investment you can make.

Then when your skills are beyond the Jeep's it's time to start the modifications.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Welcome aboard!

I agree with the advice about easing into your mods and learning about what a stock Jeep can do. That said, recovery gear never hurt. Especially if you already have the steal bumper.

As for the mods, here are my thoughts.

1. Winch & Recovery Gear
  2. Suspension lift (Mopar, et al)
  3. Bigger Tires
  4. Rear bumper / tire carrier
  5. Skid plates
I figure skid plates can go to the back of the line as a lift and bigger tires are going to take care of a lot of the need for skids. Not all, but probably enough to get you going.

Also, of course you’re free to do what you want, but I would recommend avoiding a spacer lift, especially if you’re trying to run something like a 37”. Bottom line, suspension lift is king.

Cheers!

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'd start with recovery gear and a good air compressor. Everything else can follow as your needs, skill level and wallet dictate. Over 90% of my runs just use deflators and compressor.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR