Heated steering wheel, how hot?

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Yeah, there is no doubt when the steering wheel heater is on. I can't keep it on unless I have gloves on. Same for the heated seats, they roast your butt. Now my rear window defroster, that barely works, even after having the clips re-soldered/glued or whatever they did. I wish I could swap that out, lol
Sponsored

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Now my rear window defroster, that barely works, even after having the clips re-soldered/glued or whatever they did. I wish I could swap that out, lol
Not to derail this thread, but yes, the clips they use or how they attach are terrible! Currently my drivers side clip is dangling and needs reattached. I went all winter without a working defrost.

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
Mine gets warm-ish at best. You can tell it's on but not much more. I've had several vehicles that were much better including my 2019 Wrangler JL. Not sure why the 22 is so weak by comparison but sounds like people have different experiences here. QC issue maybe?

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 was scorching hot, but 2021 is not nearly as hot.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
My JLU is the first vehicle Iā€™ve owned with a heated steering wheel and honestly I wouldnā€™t of gotten it if it wasnā€™t part of the cold weather package. Oh my has my tune changed. I look forward to hitting that button some days!
It's my first heated steering wheel too and I'll admit it. On cold mornings you can catch me flat out feeling up that heated steering wheel. Ooooh... Ahhhh... Oh, this spot is warmer! Ahhhhhhh... Yeahhhh... šŸ¤£

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
2022 JLUR. When mine is on I donā€™t have issues with it being too hot. It is warm at best and it works when I turn it on. At first I wanted it a lot hotter but it is very useable in the cold.

Seat heated are rarely on high heat. Much hotter than my steering wheel. I donā€™t think a visit to the dealer is necessary. It works for me.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Our '21 was built in October and the heated seats and wheel seem perfect
Heats up instantly without scorching
Sounds like there are many variations of this from this post, perhaps some other option is stealing power or giving too much to these systems or perhaps there really are differing temperature wheels and seats that were built
You probably will hit a wall as long as it heats up at all, they will claim its fine šŸ˜¢ šŸ˜¢

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My 20 can get almost too hot, but it tends to cool down to warm after a bit, it heats the whole way around but you can definitely tell where a major part of the heating element is, gets much warmer

OP
OP
RubyRecon

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Thank you for your responses. It used to get hot quick and stay hot. Now the heat from the vents blowing on it are about the only thing heating it up. I would think there would be a time and temperature spec from the factory.
Unfortunately this dealer experience was horrible For this and other reasons.
So I will try another dealer

Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I just installed one and I can say it's more on the very warm side than hot. I can take a reading later and tell you exactly what it gets to.

BTW, on Ford's, it's programmable. You can get into the module and adjust the temp and duration. I suspect the same is possible with the Jeep but no one has dug into the comfort module that controls the steering wheel and seats.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Went out and tested mine:

Starts to immediately warm: 59 to 80ish within the first minute

by minute two it's above 90

by minute three it's 115-120

lower grip areas are about 10 degrees cooler and peak heat appears to be at the 10 and 2 o'clock hand positions.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Isn't there a temperature threshold? Like, above 40F it defaults to low power, below 40F it gets hotter, right?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Have the same problem as the OP but haven't checked if mine gets hot all around.

I think that it's a me problem though. :) The majority of people say that it gets scorching and they need to turn it off. Me? I can keep mine on the entire drive and wished it would go hotter.

But I'm unique...I'm always cold. My hands are always cold. I do have some sort of thing that makes my hands stiff in the winter, I forget what it's called.

I'm not going to bother bringing it in because I feel like when you bring stuff to do dealer, it's going to have to be completely broke. Like you hit the button and nothing happens. Plus, who knows what else will happen while you're there.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
My ā€˜22 gets plenty hot. I love this feature!
Sponsored