First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I know this isn't an interior mod, but I wanted to ask this question to others here and hopefully someone might have an option to help me get this issue resolved. Long story short, I picked up my 2020 JLUR near the end of June. It was raining while I was inspecting it outside so I didn't look it over completely because I didn't want to get soaked. To complicate matters, I bought it from a dealer almost 400 miles from my house and was making a day trip out of it. So, I wanted to get the paperwork done and back on the road home. The next morning I was looking over my new Jeep and found a small tear in the leather on the top side of the passenger front seat headrest. The Jeep had 107 miles on it when I took delivery, so it definitely had lots of people in and out doing test drives before I bought it. I immediately contacted the dealer with a pic and their solution was to swap it out (ship the headrest to me) with another Wrangler with leather interior that they had in inventory. Since then, they haven't had one in inventory so I'm still waiting.

Question for everyone is where can I find the part number of the headrest? Can the headrest simply be ordered as a replacement item? Or would the entire seat need to be ordered? Is the leather cover able to be removed? Any other options? Thanks!

Leather issue.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@stevieb92

Good chance your damaged headrest was pulled from another new JL by the dealer and placed on yours so they could sell the other JL/to appease it's owner, like they will do to appease you.

Dealer's do this.... pull from one and put on another stuff...

I had a yellowing JL grill. Dealership General Manager (best I have ever dealt with) did me a solid and swapped grills with another white Rubi on the lot. FCA would not authorize a replacement to be sent from the factory. They wanted it to be painted and I did not want that. Dealership GM, took my side and did me the solid, mentioned.

Anyway, you are trusting the dealership to make this right. I do hope that you have documentation that your dealer is aware of the damage / promised replacement and that they documented it..... and you have the documents, so if they re-nig and do not replace that you will have recourse.

With that said, were it me, I would call, the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146
and have them open a case / have them get involved. Do that and you know that you will get the thing replaced... and not just promises that never come true. IF dealer asks why you called FCA, tell them in a polite, sincere way.... no hard feelings but....

As for the headrest being ordered by itself... don't think you are going to see that happening.
I believe dealer will be authorized to replace the complete seat under warranty.

Do not wait on this.. act now or you may get stuck holding the seat/head rest so to speak.

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@stevieb92

Good chance your damaged headrest was pulled from another new JL by the dealer and placed on yours so they could sell the other JL/to appease it's owner, like they will do to appease you.

Dealer's do this.

I had a yellowing JL grill. Dealership General Manager (best I have ever dealt with) did me a solid and swapped grills with another white Rubi on the lot. FCA would not authorize a replacement to be sent from the factory. They wanted it to be painted and I did not want that. Dealership GM, took my side and did me the solid, mentioned.

Anyway, you are trusting the dealership to make this right. I do hope that you have documentation that your dealer is aware of the damage / promised replacement and that they documented it..... and you have the documents, so if they re-nig and do not replace that you will have recourse.

With that said, were it me, I would call, the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146
and have them open a case / have them get involved. Do that and you know that you will get the thing replaced... and not just promises that never come true. IF dealer asks why you called FCA, tell them no hard feelings but....

As for the headrest being ordered by itself... don't think you are going to see that happening.
I believe dealer will be authorized to replace the complete seat under warranty.

Do not wait on this.. act now or you may get stuck holding the seat/heat rest so to speak.
Thanks for your reply and info. I reached out to JeepCares through this forum, and apparently they do not care because I was told to contact the dealer I purchased the Jeep from. Offered no support whatsoever. Highly disappointed.

I just called the customer care phone line and I was told to take it to any CDJR dealer and they will help me. I'll start there and see what happens.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your reply and info. I reached out to JeepCares through this forum, and apparently they do not care because I was told to contact the dealer I purchased the Jeep from. Offered no support whatsoever. Highly disappointed.

I just called the customer care phone line and I was told to take it to any CDJR dealer and they will help me. I'll start there and see what happens.
@stevieb92

I don't usually say have JeepCares here on the forum help with an issue. Sure, I have seen them carry the ball so to speak a couple of times here but to me they are useless in general. Presence here.. posts saying they are sorry for your issue, blah, blah....

Best best is to call the dedicated line as you said you just did and make a claim.. have a case started / a case number assigned. Do this and you WILL get the issue remedied.

Do keep a record of yoyur calls to FCA and your interactions with the dealerships... Note names, dates and times and what was said, etc.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer really has no responsibilty for this type of issue since you signed for it without inspection. Otherwise they could get dinged for every scratch and knick caused by the new owner. Jeep has little control once they assign the vehicle to the dealer and usually Jeep Cares or Jeep Customer Service won't/can't do anything about it.

If the dealer is offering to resolve it then it will be at his discretion how it is done.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer really has no responsibilty for this type of issue since you signed for it without inspection. Otherwise they could get dinged for every scratch and knick caused by the new owner. Jeep has little control once they assign the vehicle to the dealer and usually Jeep Cares or Jeep Customer Service won't/can't do anything about it.

If the dealer is offering to resolve it then it will be at his discretion how it is done.
@nerubi
I totally disagree that Jeep Customer Service "won't/can't do anything about it.".

Actually, it is not uncommon at all for a buyer to pickup a new vehicle, take it home and then the owner find damage. Especially now with Covid 19 and contactless delivery at purchase time.

One that happens a lot on the Wrangler, is hardtop damage.... Quite often, during transporter truck, transporting, the hardtop is scrapped up or the soft top snaggled up.. It gets over looked when dealer checks vehicle over as it is up where you cannot easily see it without a small ladder, etc.. No , they don't bother to look usually, but they should...

Anyway, very often there is damage found days after delivery and to be honest it's rarely heard that FCA does not get the damage fixed.

I have missed stuff at Jeep purchase times, a few times and FCA always made it right if the dealer did not.

With that said... this buyer will see his seat replaced.

As I mentioned, I'm sure FCA is seeing more of this.. got home Jeep and then saw damage these days because of contactless vehicle purchase due to Covid 19.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong. Buyer accepts vehicle as is when buying it. Otherwise fraud would be common. If you are old enough to buy a vehicle you are old enough to accept it as presented. It is always up to the dealer to decide if they want to accommodate a post delivery issue. Covid ish't a factor in something like this.

Mine came in with scratches to the hardtop and flare. Delivered to the dealer middle of the night and the night guard accepted it without inspecting. The sales manager found it before it was prepped and called me. He said he would order new ones or take one in the lot out of service for the parts until the replacements came in. That way I wouldn't have to wait. But he said they had to eat the cost because once it rolls off the truck any damage found is theirs and not Jeep's or the transport company's responsibility.

If it was damaged on the lot during service or test drive then it is the dealer's responsibility not Jeep's. If the dealer wants to fix it then it is his decision. And since it is not a local dealer that would get your service to help make some money off of it, anything a distant dealer wants to do to remedy it would be very kind.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@stevieb92

For future reference, as long as your JL is still under warranty... when your JL needs to be towed... call Jeep Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997.

Tell them you have a Jeep Wrangler JL, it is under warranty still and that you need to have it flat bedded, perOwner's Manual, (JL MUST be flat bedded) to the dealership, because.....

They will arrange for a flat bed truck to come get you right away and you never even see the bill.... another words, you don't have to get, to try to get, a reimbursement from FCA afterwards.

Caveat: For the flat bed ride to be free, you must have the JL, transported to the nearest authorized Jeep dealer. IF, you want it going to say a dealer a few miles further, call the Jeep Dedicated hotline and have it approved.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrong. Buyer accepts vehicle as is when buying it. Otherwise fraud would be common. If you are old enough to buy a vehicle you are old enough to accept it as presented. It is always up to the dealer to decide if they want to accommodate a post delivery issue. Covid ish't a factor in something like this.

Mine came in with scratches to the hardtop and flare. Delivered to the dealer middle of the night and the night guard accepted it without inspecting. The sales manager found it before it was prepped and called me. He said he would order new ones or take one in the lot out of service for the parts until the replacements came in. That way I wouldn't have to wait. But he said they had to eat the cost because once it rolls off the truck any damage found is theirs and not Jeep's or the transport company's responsibility.

If it was damaged on the lot during service or test drive then it is the dealer's responsibility not Jeep's. If the dealer wants to fix it then it is his decision. And since it is not a local dealer that would get your service to help make some money off of it, anything a distant dealer wants to do to remedy it would be very kind.
@nerubi

Not gonna argue the point but you are absolutely incorrect on this... my last post to you on this.

This JL owner getting his seat taken care of, will be yet one more example that will prove the point lets say.

In closing. .....IF there is damage, FCA and dealership will work together to get the Jeep fixed.. Buyer will probably never know who bore the expense / who paid for the repair, dealer/FCA/both shared it..... BUT, the vehicle will be repaired at no cost to the buyer..... This happens daily at all dealerships... very common place to see.

SURE, if the damage wreaks, that the owner did do the damage, then and only then, will the buyer find himself or herself, left paying for all or part of the damage.

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Stone chips are one thing and I have a few already. But a tear in the leather on a portion of the seat that doesn't even touch your body part is entirely another. This tear is on the very top of the head rest. Your head would never touch it.
Sponsored